Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous Sligo People

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

What was the name of that mental man who used to go around town trying to direct traffic? (Think he might have passed away recently)

I remember him, bless him. When we first moved here I thought he worked for Quinnsworth and was following his directions to park.

We still have the fella with the umbrella that hops out in front of the cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

gustavo wrote: »
    Sounds like "Straightback" to me

Ah yes, the memories are coming flooding back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

magnumlady wrote: »
    We still have the fella with the umbrella that hops out in front of the cars.

Haha yeah, he is so funny.
    He is nicknamed Pat Spillane.
    One of my mates has a picture of him, I will try and get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

gustavo wrote: »
    Sounds like "Straightback" to me

He died a good few years ago...

Now we only have that guy who shouts "YEAAAYYYY!!!" and plays air guitar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

gucci wrote: »
    Pending the age of the non-Sligo GAA fan he/she would probably mention Mickey Kearins, 1960s Sligo superstar!
    Also Albert Renyolds was born in Rooskey co. Roscommon afaik.

Actually now that you mention it. Albert Reynolds is from Roosky. I was sitting near him at a removal there about 6-7 years ago and somebody told me he was from there. I'd always associated heim with longford because of the dogfood factory. Seemed like a nice enough guy. I didn't get the aura of smugness, slime and arrogance I used to get in Bertie's presence.
    Nace O'Dowd was a highly regarded GAA player in his day. And there's a woman who lives in Sligo called Noelle Middleton. She is a retired actress and starred in movies in the 50's and 60's with people like David Niven, Katherine Hepburn, Bob Hope, John Mills and Michael Caine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

[Palmerston also served as British Prime Minister from 1859 t0 1865.quote=il gatto;55599885]Albert reynolds is from Longford. Daniel Day-Lewis is the son of poet laureate Cecil Day-Lewis, born in Ballintubbert, Co.Meath. I think it gets mixed up with Ballintogher, and in actual fact he has no link to Sligo.
    Marc mcSharry is barely of note in Sligo. He's so far from famous I'll take that one as sarcasm.
    Not mentioned so far is Lord Palmerston (British Prime Minister 1855-58) born in london but who's estate and country seat was Classiebawn in Mullaghmore. Another north Sligo person of note is Lola Montez (a good local name:)) born Elizebeth Gilbert. she was an actress and dancer in the 19th century and mistress to King ludwig of Bavaria.
    Michael Corcoran of Ballymote was bolonel of the 69th regiment of the U.S. army during the civil war, prompting mayor Bloomberg of New York to unveil a monument to him in his home town in 2006.
    Other people with slightly more tenuous links include Spike Milligan whose father was from Holborn Street where Spike visited his grandparents for holidays. Another even more tenuous is Ronan O'Gara, whose father is from Ballysadare (O'Gara's Garage if you remember it) and whose family originated in Riverstown. He was born, however, in San Diego and grew up in Cork so that doesn't really count.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This thread might be more successful if it were called "famous people who went to Sligo." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Patrick J. Mc Carthy from Geevagh.

As a young child, he left with his family on board a coffin ship to Boston. He lost his parents and two brothers on Deer Island as a result of a typhus epidemic and was left with his only brother to fend for themselves.
    To make a long story short, This boy from these humble beginnings became Mayor of Providence, Rhode Island in 1907.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

The Star journalist Paddy Clancy

• Advertisement

Does Ronnie Wood from the Rolling Stones live in or around Sligo, coz I'm sure I saw him today.

Does Ronnie Wood from the Rolling Stones live in or around Sligo, coz I'm sure I saw him today.

You can put him in the "famous people who've been to Sligo" category. :)

He lives in Kildare, so he could well be here on a visit - where'd you see him?

(edit) Speaking of Ronnie Woods, I found this on Tabby's Wikipedia;

"In 2005 Tabby performed at the world famous home of The Beatles - The Cavern in Liverpool, England. During the gig Tabby kicked off his boots half way through the gig in order to play in his bare feet, which is Callaghan's trademark; however, his boots were taken from the stage by a fan. The Cavern Club management then provided Tabby had an old pair of boots in their office which had been left behind by Ronnie Wood of The Rolling Stones."

So maybe Woods is here, looking for his boots back!

However, the following paragraph on the same page, makes me doubt the validity of anything that might be true...

"Some time in 2007 Tabby's brother was in McGarrigles pub on O'Connell St in Sligo town. During the night he used the one and only toilet cubicle - the resulting unflushed, sloppy dump was described as "inhuman"."

If it was him (I took a sneaky pick but from a distance), he was sitting in a Jag opposite the Quayside.

If it was him (I took a sneaky pick but from a distance), he was sitting in a Jag opposite the Quayside.

That was probably him so - he was talking about owning a Jag when he was talking on Top Gear with Jeremy Clarkson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Saw him in a Jag in Dublin a while back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

careful - thats off topic - mufflator will have you for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

careful - thats off topic - mufflator will have you for that!

:rolleyes:
    Give it a f*ckin rest man! please!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

You should totally sell it to one of the local rags.

Xiney wrote: »
    You should totally sell it to one of the local rags.

Yeah. Since the "dogging" article it's clear they'll print anything!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gillie wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Give it a f*ckin rest man! please!!:(
    Its your lucky night ;)

Had a feeling alright...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Conor Mark Cavanagh another RTE journalist is from Sligo. Dunno if he is that famous yet....
    What about Jack B Yeats the painter or are the Dublin crew claiming all the family. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, pfft.

They don't call Dublin "Yeats County".

I call it all sorts of things (a kip, for example) but not that :D

Xiney wrote: »
    Well, pfft.

They don't call Dublin "Yeats County".

I call it all sorts of things (a kip, for example) but not that :D

Hey Xiney you can hide in my house in Leitrim if you need to get away from Starbelgrade for saying that! :eek:

but you're right! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Im pretty sure Jack Yeats was!?

Conor O'Farrell aka Kid Sligo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feFMRqdEL24

elshambo wrote: »
    Im pretty sure Jack Yeats was!?

Conor O'Farrell aka Kid Sligo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feFMRqdEL24
    Thats classic! :D
    Is there a reason he sounds like a Cavan man? :eek::D

tuppence wrote: »
    Conor Mark Cavanagh another RTE journalist is from Sligo. Dunno if he is that famous yet....
    What about Jack B Yeats the painter or are the Dublin crew claiming all the family. :(

Jack B Yeats was born in London. His father, John, was born in Down & his brother William, in Dublin.

So why is Sligo called Yeats Country? If it's to do with birthplaces, maybe it should be called something else... like Westlife Country. :):):)

Jack B Yeats was born in London. His father, John, was born in Down & his brother William, in Dublin.

So why is Sligo called Yeats Country? If it's to do with birthplaces, maybe it should be called something else... like Westlife Country. :):):)

Cos he spent his summers here and was inspired by Lough Gill, Lissadell etc.

Oh Yeah. And he's buried in Sligo

I was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I was being sarcastic.

You wern't being sarcastic. You were continuing your never-ending smug "Yeats is from Dublin" monologue. It got boring a few weeks ago.

We know he's from Dublin. We know your from Dublin. We know you would like to surprise people by pointing out Yeats isn't in fact from Sligo.

Sligo is known as Yeats' County because of Yeats' love for Sligo.
    I somehow doubt you will be remembered the for the same.

:) (just to take the sting out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Nice spiel 'sueme'

I can't think of anyone else famous from Sligo and I don't know my history so I cant say who is linked with Sligo or not.
    I'm quite surprised in myself that I can't think of anyone,think ye have named them all:mad:

sueme wrote: »
    You wern't being sarcastic. You were continuing your never-ending smug "Yeats is from Dublin" monologue. It got boring a few weeks ago.

We know he's from Dublin. We know your from Dublin. We know you would like to surprise people by pointing out Yeats isn't in fact from Sligo.

Sligo is known as Yeats' County because of Yeats' love for Sligo.
    I somehow doubt you will be remembered the for the same.

:) (just to take the sting out)

Some people didn't know he was born in Dublin (see start of thread) while others didn't know his brother or father were also not born in Sligo.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss... I just find it amusing to rib about the fact that out of all the people born in Sligo, the county's is named after a Dub (Or a Dublin born) instead of, for example, Marc Mac Sharry Country.

It's called taking the p*ss, in the same way that Xiney says "They don't call Dublin "Yeats County". I call it all sorts of things (a kip, for example) but not that".

It's ribbing in a light-hearted way, the same way I listed Marc Mac Sharry in the famous list & said that you can keep the Dub from Westlife.
    If you want to take exception to this, that's your call, but I think most have taken it in the manner it was intended. :confused::cool::pac::p:D:mad: (just to take the sting out)

Some people didn't know he was born in Dublin (see start of thread) while others didn't know his brother or father were also not born in Sligo.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss... I just find it amusing to rib about the fact that out of all the people born in Sligo, the county's is named after a Dub (Or a Dublin born) instead of, for example, Marc Mac Sharry Country.

It's called taking the p*ss, in the same way that Xiney says "They don't call Dublin "Yeats County". I call it all sorts of things (a kip, for example) but not that".

It's ribbing in a light-hearted way, the same way I listed Marc Mac Sharry in the famous list & said that you can keep the Dub from Westlife.
    If you want to take exception to this, that's your call, but I think most have taken it in the manner it was intended. :confused::cool::pac::p:D:mad: (just to take the sting out)

Touche.

Will you shut up about it now though? :D

Touche.

Will you shut up about it now though? :D

Only if I can start talking about dogging+ or sausages+ again.

(+ = Sligo's most famous exports!)

Knock yourself out.

dachshund.gif

A sausage dog.

Knock yourself out.

dachshund.gif

A sausage dog.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Funniest post I've read in ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,314 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im glad to see an injection of humour here to diffuse things.

Would people just have a wee think of what they are posting and how it will be read or perceived by others.

Now enjoy the rest of the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Essexboy wrote: »

What about Alderman John Jinks who saved the 1927 government from collapse by not turning up to vote? Its supporters got him plastered, then poured him onto a train back home.

I have been trying to find out a bit more about Alderman Jinks after seeing him mentioned in a footnote and started a thread on him in the history forum.

I hope it isnt to cheeky to ask if anyone knows stuff about him to contribute as he does seem to get a bad rap.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68600122&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify#post68600122

(It isn't an overly serious thread but there does seem to be a bit more substance to him than a boozer who did not turn up for a vote)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I don't think anyone here has mentioned Eugene Lambert, the famous puppeteer (Bosco, Wanderly Wagon.) He was born in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

michael fingelton he is pretty famous now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

michael fingelton he is pretty famous now

ssshhh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Truley wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here has mentioned Eugene Lambert, the famous puppeteer (Bosco, Wanderly Wagon.) He was born in Sligo.

My Dad grew up near him, and he has some great stories of growing up in Finisklin. One particular story, about Eugene and my uncle when they were around 17 year of age is a great piece of family folklore now.
    RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

A few more people for this list:

Joan O'Hara (Actress, Eunice in Fair City, Mary's sister, lived in Finisklin, near my Dad);
    Mary O'Hara (Harpist and Singer, Joan's sister);
    Dermot Mannion (former CEO of Aer Lingus);
    Joe Costello (Labour TD);
    Tommie Gorman (RTÉ Northern Ireland Correspondent);
    Tommy Fleming (singer);
    Pauline McLynn (actress, Mrs. Doyle in Fr. Ted);
    Douglas Hyde (1st president of Ireland. Born in Roscommon while his mother was on holiday, but his father was from Kilmactranny, Co. Sligo, and he sepnt his early years there);

I'm sure there's plenty more, but that's it from me for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

I dined with Eugene Lambert is his house in South Dublin -- what a gentleman and a wonderful family.

He informed me his grand-daughter? was writing a biography -- you're info regarding the talented Mr Lambert might be worthy of inclusion?

I can be PMed if you want his family's address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I suppose this guy's famous now,a stand-up comedian who does a stint on The Savage Eye and he is now a team-member on RTE's The Panel.

john-colleary-2006-february.jpg

Oh and his name is John Colleary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I suppose this guy's famous now,a stand-up comedian who does a stint on The Savage Eye and he is now a team-member on RTE's The Panel.

Didn't he MC at the comedy gigs in the Niland? Fair play to him, he was good at getting the crowd going.

Ya, I used attend them gigs frequently though I have to say he never impressed me, he has come on leaps and bounds over the last 2 years.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

he looks like raf cretaro

Sligored wrote: »
    he looks like raf cretaro

both Tubbercurry men maybe they are related

• Advertisement
Advertisement