Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help me with this sociology essay (identity). Urgent!!

Options
  • 19-11-2010 2:43pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭

• Develop a critical, sociological understanding of social identity. Illustrate your answer with reference to appropriate sociological studies.
    i have to write a 2000 word essay on this title and i'm totally lost.

would anyone be able to geive me ant tips of ideas to how i should go about doing this essay?

i want to know how i should start it. ie, what will i talk about in my introduction

after that i need a couple of points for the main body of the essay and then the conclusion.

i'm so confused i cant even create a spider diagram of what i want to write about here.

anyone any pointers?? thanks :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I'd suggest that you take a theory and then focus it through a specific aspect of identity, like gender or class, because if you try to do more you'll struggle.

So, take someone else's social theory, explain it, point out a problem as it relates to a specific aspect of identity and offer a solution or way to develop it in light of this problem. In this sense, you aren't trying to throw the entire theory out, you're trying to pick up a specific weakness of the theory in a specific area of identity and, by addressing that weakness, adding/developing the overall theory.

For example, you could take Pierre Bourdieu and his concepts of habitus, field and the various forms of capital as your overall theory of identity. You could explain Bourdieu's overall theory of identity formation (1-2 paras), then discuss it in relation to gender (1-2 paras), critique it for not adequately addressing gender (1-2 paras), and add something to it (1-2). With a conclusion and introduction you'll have waaaaay more then you need.

You don't have to use Bourdieu. You could go use Gramsci and his theory of hegemony, or Elias and his civilization thesis, Judith Butler and performitivity, or if you're crazy and you want to piss off your lecturer you could use Deleuze and Guattari. What ever you choose, bring your sociological dictionary.

I'm not entirely sure what they mean by illustrate it. It could mean they want you to reference studies done using that theory, in which case go on jstor and hunt some articles down. Or it could mean they just want you to reference your essay properly, in which case as long as your using your theorists work you'll be fine. I'd do both, but make sure the studies are consistent with your theory.

EDIT:
    i want to know how i should start it. ie, what will i talk about in my introduction
    I would not talk about anything other then what you are going to do in your essay, i.e, a variation on "This essay will critically develop a concept of social identity through the work of Pierre Bourdieu and gender. It will begin by outlining Bourdieu's concepts of habitus, field and capital. It will then critically analyse his conceptualization of social identity as it relates to gender. Having done this, it will suggest that Bourdieu's concept of social identity can be developed by adding X to his theory as it relates to gender and will then conclude with a summary."

In your introduction you should say what you're going to do, in the order you're going to do it, and then do it in that order. Once you've finished your essay and gotten the hang of the structure, you could go back and add a paragraph before that giving context.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Quinzy

Geerz is always a good starting point. And Levi Strauss is always applicable to, well, everything, really.

Foucault seems to have written on more or less every topic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Quinzy wrote: »
    Geerz is always a good starting point. And Levi Strauss is always applicable to, well, everything, really.

Foucault seems to have written on more or less every topic too.

I'm doing the same essay and if the OP is also in Anthropology the Geertz suggestion won't go down too well after the last set of essays.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I'm not entirely sure what they mean by illustrate it.

They obviously mean draw pictures. With crayons or pencil.

The more colour the better.

The more you come across as a complete fraud in the text the better.

Remember, whoever's teaching you sociology is probably a big fat fraud too, and has only got their job through being married to someone or being good at sucking up to the socially powerful people in their near orbit. That's real sociology. Look around you - you don't need a weather man to see which way the wind blows.

Just make some sociological word salad. Nobody cares. There's no such thing as society any more anyway. Just individuals, lizards and families of lizards.

Kill one of your fellow students and write your essay in their blood. Preferably a pretty young woman from a well connected family - someone who's disappearance will send electric shock waves of grieve, fear and paralysing terror across the country.

I'm not being completely serious - though writing in blood does really impress people.

Advertisement