Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who hangs out at starbucks?

Options
  • 15-08-2010 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I went to starbucks today for the second time in my life. I noticed the young people there by themselves, writing by themselves and alone on there laptops. I was kind of struck by this. They had a distinctive kind of dress but I cant put my finger on it. Who are these people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

death wish wrote: »
    I went to starbucks today for the second time in my life. I noticed the young people there by themselves, writing by themselves and alone on there laptops. I was kind of struck by this. They had a distinctive kind of dress but I cant put my finger on it. Who are these people?
    Lonely people who feel comfortable going threre alone.
    I´d say they are trying to make friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Kaaatelyn

A lot of young people see Starbucks (or other such coffee shops) as places of inspiration where they can write poems, novels etc. Or reflect on life while paying extortionate amounts for coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Starbucks Swords; People with their stupid loud children who should be on a leash adn told to shut the hell up!

Starbucks College Green; TCD students mostly Arts and the lonley quite Arts types and the D4 brigade who like to wear Abacrombie and Fitch and pay more for coffee than nesecarry

Starbucks D4; The entire cast of Ross O Carrol Kelly Novels and D4 Yummy Mummys and their children Fintan, Sorcha, Ceanas etc

Starbucks Hardcourt Street; Office types with Ipad, and Macbooks pretending to be doing business

Starbucks Grafton Street; Those that wish they could but cant afford to buy anything in the shops and want to look posh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I went to starbucks today for the second time in my life. . .

You've only been there twice. This is a science forum after all so making conclusions, or guesses for that matter, about the types of people who occupy a coffee shop from just two separate observations is unwise.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I noticed the young people there by themselves, writing by themselves and alone on there laptops.
    Never been to Starbucks, but I have seen these same people staying in hostels. The travellers tales in the common room are a thing of the past. Better more reliable information can be got on the net.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

uhh I think Americans refer to these people as "hipsters". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭h8scobes

losers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I've been across the pond for well over four years now at university. Starbucks and other java houses here vary in their clientele, so it is problematic to assume that they are more similar than different when attempting to categorize them into one group.

There is diversity in clientele here among the thousands of establishments in the States, with differences between those coffee houses in central business districts from those that are near or located upon university campuses, for example. There are also sole proprietor java houses that are unique and very unlike the large corporate standardization of Starbucks. One case... Alta Coffee & Tea in Balboa California was built from an old converted two-level house, tends to be a hangout for beach couples, has live music on the weekends, and many a social gatherings during the week, in contrast to your lonely laptop customer referred to in this thread.

I hang out mostly in java houses that are near universities, where you fund a disproportionate number of students and faculty, some sitting at tables alone with their laptops (doing lesson plans, homework, web surfing, email, etc., on free wifi), while others are socializing in groups, chatting up topics ranging from mundane to obscure philosophical questions. You can also meet someone new in these relaxed social settings, without all the silly pick-up behaviours typical of pubs and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Sheesh, ever heard of Free Wifi?

Coffeeshops offer it to attract just those people you're so confused about.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

That's all you need to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Could they possibly be unemployed and unable to afford BB, so they are using the wifi in starbucks. You'll find the same thing in McDonalds on O'Connell st, upstairs. Does everyone has to be put into types?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

cocoshovel wrote: »
    uhh I think Americans refer to these people as "hipsters". :D

definitly hipsters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Fattes wrote: »
    Starbucks Swords; People with their stupid loud children who should be on a leash adn told to shut the hell up!

Starbucks College Green; TCD students mostly Arts and the lonley quite Arts types and the D4 brigade who like to wear Abacrombie and Fitch and pay more for coffee than nesecarry

Starbucks D4; The entire cast of Ross O Carrol Kelly Novels and D4 Yummy Mummys and their children Fintan, Sorcha, Ceanas etc

Starbucks Hardcourt Street; Office types with Ipad, and Macbooks pretending to be doing business

Starbucks Grafton Street; Those that wish they could but cant afford to buy anything in the shops and want to look posh
    Learn to spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I must have gotten lost and ended up in AH by accident...

Advertisement