Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lean-to Pergola with PVC roof!

• 22-03-2008 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Greetings to All on the site! And either a Happy Easter or Belated happy Easter to you all!

I live in a detached bungalow built so that one of the gables is effectively the back of the house. This gable has the kitchen window, the back door and one of the bedroom windows. It provides a sun catchment are from approximately 1100am to 8pm during the summer months and temperatures recorded there over the last 3 years have reached 30 degrees. Mind you, like today for example, it would blow you out of it! But, one has to think posisitve.
    My idea;
    I would like to have a lean to roof, pergola type, allowing the sun to shine through, going from a foot from one side wall to ta similar spacing on the other side wall. I will have a pvc roof placed/ routed along the sloping beams on the lower half of the beam with a 5mm monofilament mesh placed tightly across and placed/ routed along the upper half of the beam. This is entirely my own idea and with the objective of preventing the pvc from being broken in the event of a sliothair or football happening to arrive from the sky! :-)
    This "pergola" type would be over a timber decking.
    So far, I think I have enough information to give it a good try and make it my 2nd DIY project that ive done so far! All info so far has been got from browsing the internet, reading up, etc.

HOWEVER, my biggest fear so far is how do I attach the "ledger board" to the pebble-dash gable wall. There is mention of lead flashing or capping felt and any reference I have to it is with regards to the base wall being of a timber or red brick construction.
    Could anybody please advise me on what to do, either by drawing, sketching, pics or where to go to get advice and some bit of assitance.
    Yes, i suppose the first thing to come to ones mind is " why dont you get a builder to do it, im sure ud get someone to do it cheaply" etc. etc.
    That sort of goes agains the DIY thing and I would really like to do it myself, and feel that i would make a reasonable go of it.
    If there is anybody out there that feels they could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanking you
    Createmyown!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

If this is number 2, what was the first DIY project?:)

If I understand the description correctly if the pvc roofing is on the underside of the beams, 'flashing', in a building sense, will be very difficult.

The ledger board is easily fixed to the wall with Rawlbolts Loose Bolt or similiar IFF u can get a solid fixing and u dont have a hollow block wall

The lead flashing will then be grouted into a slot cut into the wall with an angle grinder and sealed with silicone.
    The slot should be cut sloping slightly up ward, or at least not downwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Createmyown

Hi there, yesm well the 1st Project was to floor the attic and install shelving, staggered to allow access. I gained approx 30' x 6' wide at base of storage space. the actual frame design does not permit anyhting else.
    I was quite chuffed by it, still am, if any probs with pipe, lights or cables, each shelf is numbered and lettered, usually A1 to A5, starting from the access along to front of house, starting from the top down and with loosening one screw per shelf, the shelf structure comes away providing access. It allows me to put up stuff that otherwise would be blocking the floor area. I cheated with the lights and got an electrician to put them in! :o but otehrwise all done with my own hands, I even sanded corners and edges just in case little people are exploring and that they dont damage themselves! lol!

With regards to "..... on the underside of the beams, 'flashing', in a building sense, will be very difficult" Yes, i can see your point and didnt really think about that because I will have to put a plank across the top of the ledger and beams attached, if that makes sense. I cant really draw here and dont know how to attach a sketch,( if its possible?)

It is a hollow block wall or rather there is a cavity and two rows of blocks (me thinks! :-( me not so sure! must find out! thank you for that, good point)

How much of the lead flashing should be grouted into the slot?? 6 inches?
    Do I need to seal the bare wall??
    I guess I'll have to cut out or chip the pebble dash to get to the wall, is that correct?
    and then fix the ledger diretly to the bare wall under the slot?

Appreciate your time and patience, thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Have a look at http://www.tegral.com/Tegralbp/index.asp
    for some detailed sketches of abutment roofing details for where the ledger beam would fit.
    The attachment shows one example.

also look at
    <<18mm min. wide continuous upstand fi xed to timber
    grounds which are fixed to wall at 600mm centres to
    provide a 10mm gap with wall>> my emphasis
    from example tt_abt_04.pdf

There is no need to strip off the pebble dash or plaster, asking for trouble and also if you take it down...
    You could use timber grounds to 'even up' the wall and then fix the ledger beam through to wall.
    As well as 'evening up' the wall, the grounds will let you screw the ledger beam to them, in a level position and take the weight, allowing you drill in for the bolts with some comfort

You wont get 6" for the flashing, even if you u needed it.

It is best not to cut it too deep, back to block would be ok.

If u browse around the tegral site you will find some different ideas for proprietary flashing systems which are a bit easier to use

Advertisement