Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish House Oddities

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

j@utis wrote: »
    don't bother with bidet, they're waste of space and awkward to use (don't ask) :rolleyes:
    get one of these instead (see attachment), they're called bidette. it's basically a tap with a little 'shower' head connected to it and can be installed in any bathroom where the sink and the toilet aren't too far from each other.
    when plumber was installing ours he said it was the first time he saw something like that and asked what was it for? I said it was for washing the hair... I didn't go into more detail about what hair I intended to wash.... :D:D

Lived in Asia for a couple of years and absolutely loved this contraption. Very hygienic and to be honest, it feels really good :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Lived in Asia for a couple of years and absolutely loved this contraption. Very hygienic and to be honest, it feels really good :-)

With a username like yours, it doesn't surprise me that you enjoy the sensation of washing your bum :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

In no particular order.

American power systems are different in 2 ways they are 110V, but the way the AC is presented at the socket (both conductors carry potential, at any particular moment, one wire is at +55V, the other is at -55V) which means the voltage is only 55V above (or below) earth potential, so the potential current flow into a person from a US supply is a quarter of the potential current from an Irish socket, so the shock injury risk is a lot lower than with the European concept, where the potential difference from the one live wire to earth is 230V (only one conductor carries potential, the other is effectively earth)

The reason for roof water tanks to to provide a reserve of water in the event of a failure of the supply, and it was also suggested to me that the size of the supply pipe is also reduced compared to other countries to limit the potential flow rate in the event of a leak, or a tap being left open.

A vent through the wall is supposed to be piped, though there were a lot of Celtic Cowboys that didn't pipe them, and another aggravation is that if you have SEAI insulation put in, and the existing vents use 4" pipe, they will require new vents to be put in, as the 4" pipe is fractionally under the minimum size now required under building regulations.

Another hate is the architects that insisted on putting Velux windows in through the roof of dormer bungalows to provide light into the bathroom. They were and are a disaster, they can't be easily cleaned, due to how small they are, and the section above the bathroom ceiling up to the tiles is never properly insulated, so it ends up black with mould in a very short space of time because of the very moist air coming into contact with very cold plasterboard. Opening or closing them is a pain as well unless you have a very long pole or similar to operate the thing, and access to the tunnel to decorate it is a nightmare.

Another hate, waste water pipes from sinks or baths that come out through the wall, and discharge over a 4" gulley with a grid on it, there are 2 issues, the first is that if the grid is in the wrong place, it also ends up getting rain water in it, which it's not supposed to, and second, if the wind blows leaves in on to the grid, it can be blocked, so dirty greasy water ends up going all over the place where its not supposed to.

Door saddle boards. Why, its not a problem to put carpet joiners in under the door, and that way, if you want to move something on castors from one room to another, you don't have to fight to get it over the saddle.

Circuit breaker boards that are not labelled with what circuit or devices are connected to each breaker, so finding out what is connected to a particular breaker becomes a pain to do.

Circuit breaker boards that are too small, so that (for example) all the lights in a house are on one breaker, so a bulb failing in a lounge wall light and tripping the breaker also puts all of the upper floor into darkness.

Plumbing systems where the control valves are not labelled with what they are there for and what system they either control or regulate, so carrying out maintenance or adjusting the heating balance is a lottery.

Central heating pumps that are put in the most inaccessible position imaginable, so that they can't be got to for maintenance or repair without dismantling huge chunks of the system.

Incoming phone line termination boxes that are nowhere near a power socket, and are put in a place that makes it almost impossible to connect a broadband router to them and be able to use it for WiFi connections.

House layouts that are designed so badly that every hot water tap in the place has to waste significant quantities of water before the hot water arrives from the tank.

Toilet flushes that don't, even if you stay there and hold the handle to get a "long" flush.

Most of these are design failings rather than construction issues, but the reality is that there are failings on both the design and the construction side that make for some pretty unfriendly houses.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

meeeeh wrote: »
    The only thing more disgusting than those are the full carpeted bathrooms. They are not just Irish thing though, more a seventies thing. I really don't know why such phobia of tiles. Even if you don't have underfloor heating decent heating in bathroom will heat the floor enough.

All these tiles are alright, but Goddammit they're slippery yokes to be dealing with.

'tis alright whilst you're young & in the full of your health. But come the time when we're all in our '70's. What then?

Plenty of broken hips from them damm slippy tiles we put in back in the Tiger era.

That's what.

Irish people in general seem to be extremely stingy with heating, I notice it every time I visit. It's even more strange since the fashion for building great big houses. Less house and more heat would make more sense.

I really dislike spending money on heat, I'd rather be saving it or spending it on drink even than on heat. If I can put on an extra jumper or a thicker pair of socks, throw an extra dovet over me and a hot water bottle etc I will rather than turn on the heat and spend money on the bill.
    My parents have a bidet

We have a bidet at home, some of my family use it but I never got the attraction at all, if you can't wipe your arse properly then you have issues. I've used it to wash my feet a few times and that's it.
    The only thing more disgusting than those are the full carpeted bathrooms. They are not just Irish thing though, more a seventies thing. I really don't know why such phobia of tiles. Even if you don't have underfloor heating decent heating in bathroom will heat the floor enough.

My home place was build in the mid 80's and has a fully carpeted bathroom and as I said in my other post I love it. If I was building a house brand new tomorrow it would have carpet in the bathroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

There was a system that heated the area in Ballymun. It went when the towers went.

I suspect the problem was getting people to pay the bills that were involved.
    In Ballymun part of your rent paid for the heating, I think when i lived there it was 3.50 for the rent and 50p of that was for the heating which was great when it was on but baltic when it wasn't
    zerks wrote: »
    "The good room". A firm staple for the older generation.A room where kids weren't allowed into as it was kept immaculate for visitors who also got to use the "good delph and biscuits".
    yeah the USA would be brought out in front of our envious eyes if you were lucky you got bourbon cream :)
    Eutow wrote: »
    The excuse for that is because the walls are so uneven, badly maintained that covering them with thick wallpaper is better and more practical than trying to paint them.
    That is my house
    amdublin wrote: »
    You see this in the country rather than Dublin (well I've never seem it in Dublin):

The front door that is NEVER used. Like never. Even if a stranger is calling around the back they go.

I've no clue why culchies bother with a front door at all.
    after living in a rural area for over 20 years I can honestly that the majority of my neighbours would prefer to come in the back doors, well the farmers anyway.
    People displaying those little obituary thingies on shelves or mantelpieces. Like some sort of weird "look at all my dead relatives" collection. I find it grim.
    we have one on the side of the fridge its the only one we have "on display" now i think about it and the person wasn't even related to us, i don't even understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Tiled floors in bathrooms are wretched. The shocking cold of the tile underfoot when you need to visit the loo in the middle of the night is horrible, and wet tile is so slippery it's a hazard.
    All these tiles are alright, but Goddammit they're slippery yokes to be dealing with.

'tis alright whilst you're young & in the full of your health. But come the time when we're all in our '70's. What then?

Plenty of broken hips from them damm slippy tiles we put in back in the Tiger era.

That's what.

Tiles need not be slippery. The tiles in both my apartment bathroom and my parents' bathroom have a matt finish to them so they don't become slippery when wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

The lights are generally really dim:pI never really noticed how badly until I went to the states :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Candie wrote: »
    I've been in houses in Ireland and the UK with no fan at all. In older houses, a fan is practically unheard of, mould is usually a problem as a result.

Compared to my little place, where a fan is activated by closing the door and hits mach 5 within 30 seconds. There's never any fog on the bathroom mirror with an efficient fan.

Can I ask what make your fan is? Mine is woeful.Brand is DETA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

we have one on the side of the fridge its the only one we have "on display" now i think about it and the person wasn't even related to us, i don't even understand that.

As a memento mori? A reminder that one day it'll be you on the side of the fridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

gizmo555 wrote: »
    As a memento mori? A reminder that one day it'll be you on the side of the fridge?

Knowing my luck I will end up in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Jars (aka hot water bottles)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 franzilein

- the lack of sockets... Why would you put only 3 sockets in a kitchen? And at the opposite wall to where you actually want to use your mixer/blender/etc.
    - windows opening outwards... How are you supposed to clean them?
    - windows where you can only open one half... makes airing your duvet very difficult
    - the existence of the box room
    - bathtubs in even the tiniest of bathrooms... Sometimes just a shower would be much more appropriate
    - fireplaces in the tiniest of sitting rooms... I like fireplaces, but not if they mean that I can't put any furniture in the room any more
    - toilets and basins on pedestals... Bathrooms are much easier to clean if they're hanging off the wall
    - pipes and cables not hidden inside walls
    - the lack of shoe racks/cabinets and coat racks/hangers in most people's hallways
    - every house having the same colour walls (inside) and the same window blinds
    - flimsy front doors
    - the lack of a good-sized coffee table in most sitting rooms... The type that is a permanent piece of furniture, not the tiny ones people take out from the corner of the room to put their cup of tea on

Advertisement