Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full time Fire Service Question

Options
  • 14-03-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Wondering if anyone can shed any light on why before starting a full time post in Ireland recruits are sent to England for the training regardless of experience? I know Dublin trains there recruits but as far as I know Limerick, Galway & Cork all send full time recruits away for there training even if they have been retained for 10+ years.

Surely some training centre in Ireland could train and qualify for full time? Just wondering if anyone knew the specific reason.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Both Waterford and Limerick have previously sent recruits to be trained in Dublin. They have trained alongside DFB recruits as part of the same class. Limerick have also had their own standalone course using the OBI.

It depends on timing, cost and probably politics what each brigade decides to do with their recruits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Personally I think we should be looking at a national fire service that operates on a similar nationwide structure to AGS, NAS, the Defence Forces or the Coastguard rather than one that is operated on a local structure by councils. This would allow more money to be put into training and equipment as it would be funded by national rather than local government.

Advertisement