Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

campfires

Options
  • 02-01-2019 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hey, just preparing for some wild camping in the summer (specifically Wicklow mountains). Looking to drive up, park somewhere and walk a bit into the woods then set up shop. Just wondering how strict the 'open fire' law is and if anyone has any trouble. Not looking for a huge bonfire, just something to cook a steak and boil some water over. Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 23 Twat-Badger

If you want to camp in the Wicklow mountains that's fine. But don't be lighting any open fires. Bring a Kelly Kettle or the likes for boiling water etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Also consider something like a firebox, which will give you flames to cook over, but a control over how big the fire is.

https://www.fireboxstove.com/

cheaper versions available, plenty to suit all budgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

I'm prepping for some wild camping too. While you are on the subject of campfires, what wood would you use?

I have a firebox but am wondering what the etiquette is of what wood to use. I know Coillte don't allow you to chop wood but what about broken branches lying on forest floor?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Dry standing dead wood, found around camp. Bring tinder from home and have the means to get enough heat to produce a fire in wet/damp conditions.

The stuff you pick up off the forest floor is wet and useless. It must be off and ground and dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Collin2

I'm prepping for some wild camping too. While you are on the subject of campfires, what wood would you use?

I have a firebox but am wondering what the etiquette is of what wood to use. I know Coillte don't allow you to chop wood but what about broken branches lying on forest floor?

Dead standing wood! Find smaller (or large) dead trees that haven't fallen yet. As mentioned, make sure you bring some tinder for yourself. After that its just a matter of getting the tinder lit and finding small enough kindling to start the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Hiked Djouce mountain yesterday and seen a couple of families camping along the river. We were amazed when coming back down that they had left and never extinguished their camp fire and them camping right beside the river. We duly emptied our remaining water and refilled our bottles and put the fire out.
    How can someone who brings their children camping just walkaway from their camp fire??

The stupidity and selfishness of people should never be underestimated. Well done to taking control and averting a much bigger problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

macadam wrote: »
    Hiked Djouce mountain yesterday and seen a couple of families camping along the river. We were amazed when coming back down that they had left and never extinguished their camp fire and them camping right beside the river. We duly emptied our remaining water and refilled our bottles and put the fire out.
    How can someone who brings their children camping just walkaway from their camp fire??

These are the kind of ****in eejits that ruin actual wild camping for the majority although to be honest I think those that do go wild camping are in the minority.

I blame facebook and all those wild camping and camping with kids pages you do get some all dopes on them.

Advertisement