Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Lost Overboard

Options
  • 06-03-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭

Any news of the man lost overboard from the merchant ship in the English Channel this morning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Any news of the man lost overboard from the merchant ship in the English Channel this morning?
    R117 is apparently on scene searching as well as navy 177

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

A sad story to read, he was reported missing this morning at 8:30am when the ship was off arklow, he was last seen onboard last night while it was a few miles from the mouth of stranford lough, it covered a fair distance overnight,
    its called the fehn sirius,
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0306/arklow.html#video
    short video from the news linked above,

edit: according to the rte website the search has been suspended and there are no plans to continue due to the large scale of the search area,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

bladebrew wrote: »
    according to the rte website the search has been suspended and there are no plans to continue due to the large scale of the search area,

I can understand the maths of the whole thing, but that's desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

i was looking at the track of his ship on AIS yesterday, she was going back over her course, the entire length of the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yeah, I had a look myself, she was being shadowed by the Le Ciara, but of course we can't see that on the AIS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Yeah, I had a look myself, she was being shadowed by the Le Ciara, but of course we can't see that on the AIS.
    im pretty sure i saw it yesterday on the AIS beside the fehn sirius, sometimes naval ships are on it, the le aoife is in cork harbour now,
    i assumed naval ships would never be shown,

im pretty sure i saw it yesterday on the AIS beside the fehn sirius, sometimes naval ships are on it, the le aoife is in cork harbour now,
    they turn it off for stealth when leaving cork harbour, they like the eliment of surprise, on my first trip aboard L.E. Aisling while steaming at night we had to be extra vigilant on lookout as no1 unless they were looking at there radar could see us as we were told as sunste to darken ship, i can remember we came within ten foot of a trawler and the look on there faces as we steamed past was priceless hahaha they got some shock i thing they nearly crapped themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

they turn it off for stealth when leaving cork harbour, they like the eliment of surprise, on my first trip aboard L.E. Aisling while steaming at night we had to be extra vigilant on lookout as no1 unless they were looking at there radar could see us as we were told as sunste to darken ship, i can remember we came within ten foot of a trawler and the look on there faces as we steamed past was priceless hahaha they got some shock i thing they nearly crapped themselves

Jesus, not the safest bit of seamanship!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

vout

This strikes me as the reckless behavour of an absolute idiot. If found out a profesional mariner would never work again after a stunt like that.
    Lay 10 to 1 it was an irish trawler being harassed.

Sorry for deviating from the OP, tragic. Heart goes out to his famiy.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

alan1990 wrote: »
    Jesus, not the safest bit of seamanship!!
    it was all down to one of the look outs for not telling the nav officer that was on watch on the bridge, he only chewed him for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

it was all down to one of the look outs for not telling the nav officer that was on watch on the bridge, he only chewed him for it

Responsibility flows up in the military, it was the nav officers responsibility, and his boss if anything worse happened.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A portion of blame also has to be directed at the fishing vessel for not keeping a proper lookout. ;)

Although we did something similar in the north sea, on a PSV working a pipelayer, the standby boat had difficulties and had to head back to the beach.
    There was a 12 hour delay in the new boat arriving and we stood by in the mean time as we were waiting for a back load anyway.

In the early hours of a beautiful summer morning a fishing boat in the area started to get a bit close. Called and called them on the radio, no reply so sauntered off over to them. Nobody on deck and still no-one answering the radio so we fired up the thrusters and put the ship into joystick to inch in nice and close. A few blasts of the horn had them scrambling out on deck for dear life to see this big supply boat lying close by and us waving from the bridge door. As we went back to standby and you could see one poor sod getting rightly bawled out of it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Its the OoW's responsibility. He/she shouldn't rely solely on the lookout, they have their own set of eyes. The OoW has a bit of a cheek blaming the lookout when he/she is as much to blame, and ultimately responsible for the ships navigation during their watch

Advertisement