Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine Security

Options
  • 26-02-2012 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I have seen these new companies sprouting up, saying that they will protect your ship against pirates and what not, is this a real modern day threat, I know there have been numerous problems off the coast of Somali, does anyone here work for a marine security firm, and what is it like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

The Russian navy seem to be doing the job on the Somali pirates.
    Was looking at a video on youtube a while back and they dont mess about when it comes to protecting the Russian ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

skipz wrote: »
    The Russian navy seem to be doing the job on the Somali pirates.
    Was looking at a video on youtube a while back and they dont mess about when it comes to protecting the Russian ships.

Yeah, I was watching a documentary on the Australian navy, and it just seems that it was very hard to do anything as, you could see there big ship off the coast, so the pirates would just wait until they were far away, and then attack the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

somali pirates are dirty dangerous feckers, a lot of ships have procedures for pirates, was watching documentary about one of the maersk container vessels and they use water cannons off the stern as a deterrent and have cctv throughout the ship connected to the bridge

somali pirates are dirty dangerous feckers, a lot of ships have procedures for pirates, was watching documentary about one of the maersk container vessels and they use water cannons off the stern as a deterrent and have cctv throughout the ship connected to the bridge

Yes a lot of fishing and container vessels, use water cannons now, to deter pirates and unwanted guests, the most well know boat with water cannons is that one from Japan what is killing whales and the sea shepards are trying to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What about sonic cannon, I was reading about some cruise ships being fitted out with them now specifically to deal with pirates.

• Advertisement

lorcan122 wrote: »
    Yes a lot of fishing and container vessels, use water cannons now, to deter pirates and unwanted guests, the most well know boat with water cannons is that one from Japan what is killing whales and the sea shepards are trying to stop them.
    yeah i saw that on there documentary, fair play to the sea shephards a friend of mine is a member of it

yeah i saw that on there documentary, fair play to the sea shephards a friend of mine is a member of it

No way! that is so cool, I love the programme myself, he must have some life and great adventures.

No way! that is so cool, I love the programme myself, he must have some life and great adventures.
    she,s defo the save the world type, she studied cancer research in st andrews in scotland, its great when your daddy is loaded aint it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

The Maritime Security Centre – Horn of Africa

The site has incident logs and maps of suspected pirates.

Combined Maritime Forces BMP for Ships
    CMF supports Best Management Practice (BMP), as promoted by the industrial shipping community. BMP offers advice and guidance on avoiding piracy and is targetted at seafarers who intend to travel through the Gulf of Aden, Somali Basin and the Indian Ocean. Measures include: maintaining a proactive 24 hour lookout; reporting suspicious activities to authorities; removing access ladders; protecting the lowest points of access; the use of deck lighting, netting, razor wire, electrical fencing, fire hoses and surveillance and detection equipment; engaging in evasive manoeuvring and speed during a pirate attacks; and joining group

The Maritime Security Centre – Horn of Africa

The site has incident logs and maps of suspected pirates.

Combined Maritime Forces BMP for Ships
    CMF supports Best Management Practice (BMP), as promoted by the industrial shipping community. BMP offers advice and guidance on avoiding piracy and is targetted at seafarers who intend to travel through the Gulf of Aden, Somali Basin and the Indian Ocean. Measures include: maintaining a proactive 24 hour lookout; reporting suspicious activities to authorities; removing access ladders; protecting the lowest points of access; the use of deck lighting, netting, razor wire, electrical fencing, fire hoses and surveillance and detection equipment; engaging in evasive manoeuvring and speed during a pirate attacks; and joining group
    Interesting site, thanks for the link, quite interesting how it shows how many ships have been attacked.

• Advertisement

can,t access that link it says the hash is invalid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

can,t access that link it says the hash is invalid

Think it has something to do with boards security changes, try this

http://www.mschoa.org/Pages/default.aspx

If that doesn't work just copy and paste the above

Think it has something to do with boards security changes, try this

http://www.mschoa.org/Pages/default.aspx

If that doesn't work just copy and paste the above
    thanks cardinal linked worked perfectly, very interesting site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

What about sonic cannon, I was reading about some cruise ships being fitted out with them now specifically to deal with pirates.

Seen these installed on a vessel I worked on a few years ago, offshore construction vessel that was heading for project in Nigeria.
    Apparently the work fairly well.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Those would be probably be awful for the guests, the noise would be terrible, but it is there safety, so I would say its okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

Those would be probably be awful for the guests, the noise would be terrible, but it is there safety, so I would say its okay.

They are called LRAD's (Long Range Acoustic Device) and are directional. You can stand directly behind and to the side of them and not be effected by the noise level. For the person its being directed at it is very effected and would deter all but the most determined (or deaf) attacker

alphasully wrote: »
    They are called LRAD's (Long Range Acoustic Device) and are directional. You can stand directly behind and to the side of them and not be effected by the noise level. For the person its being directed at it is very effected and would deter all but the most determined (or deaf) attacker

I have seen them being used, and even when they are directed at another object, you can still hear them when you are behind them, as that is why the people wear ear plugs, obviously it is not as loud, but they can still be very annoying.

Advertisement