Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall mounted TV point

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

stevek93 wrote: »

That faceplate/wallplate is probably a 2 cable triplexed + sat unit, 1 cable carrying TV/sat/radio and second cable for sat.

I can't think off-hand of a single faceplate that will take 3 separate cables, most are triplexed or diplexed plus a separate sat input/output.

An option would be a euro module faceplate that will take separate modules for TV and satellite (single/double connectors). Both Triax and Antiference do both modules and single/double faceplates. I am in the process of doing similar at the moment but using Schneider Electric Liesse modular faceplates.

I am out and about atm but will be able to provide some links later this evening if you like.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In my place I just drilled three small holes in a blank plate and terminated the 3 Type F connections
    Then used leads to go to the TV.

A better connection IMO

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^^ This is exactly what I was going to post. It will never be seen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

The Cush wrote: »
    That faceplate/wallplate is probably a 2 cable triplexed + sat unit, 1 cable carrying TV/sat/radio and second cable for sat.

I can't think off-hand of a single faceplate that will take 3 separate cables, most are triplexed or diplexed plus a separate sat input/output.

An option would be a euro module faceplate that will take separate modules for TV and satellite (single/double connectors). Both Triax and Antiference do both modules and single/double faceplates. I am in the process of doing similar at the moment but using Schneider Electric Liesse modular faceplates.

I am out and about atm but will be able to provide some links later this evening if you like.

Thanks a lot of info there, the one I linked is terminated. Let me have a look on Triax and Antiference. The eletrican did mentioned to me that he didn't know how to wire a coax faceplate and asked me to show him :D

Stoner wrote: »
    In my place I just drilled three small holes in a blank plate and terminated the 3 Type F connections

A better connection IMO

The wallplate I linked is terminated I linked the manual below it is in German but has pictures.

https://asset.conrad.com/media10/add/160267/c1/-/de/001316129ML01/manual-1316129-axing-ssd-4-00-antenna-socket-twin-flush-mount-terminated.pdf

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »

A better connection IMO

I have also done this in the past, in my case I required 4 feeds from a single faceplate, carefully drilled 4 holes and secured the 4 f-joiners to the faceplate using nut and washer. The modular inserts are similar but more user friendly if you don't want the hassle of drilling and purchasing the joiners with nut and washer.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have also done this in the past, in my case I required 4 feeds from a single faceplate, carefully drilled 4 holes and secured the 4 f-joiners to the faceplate using nut and washer. The modular inserts are similar but more user friendly if you don't want the hassle of drilling and purchasing the joiners with nut and washer.

Why bother with cutting the cables at all? Just let them pass through the faceplate and terminate directly to the satellite box. Much simpler, more robust and less joins in the cable. It will look a bit messy until the satellite box is in place but once it is it will look the same.

I'd agrees with 2011.
    Also if you use a faceplate behind a wall mounted tv the cables can end up pushing the at the back of the TV (depending on how tight the mount is).
    I've a few of these in my house with speakerwire/hdmis etc

s-l500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 William Legrande

I've bought modular faceplates for a couple of DIY projects from satworld.ie in the past.

They have a good selection of Antiference hidden-screw wallplates at very decent prices. The Antiference screwless stuff complements MK faceplates nicely (which is what I have).

I went with the screwless plate with the bullnose brush insert and ran the HDMI and sat cables through the wall and directly into the TV.

2011 wrote: »
    Why bother with cutting the cables at all? Just let them pass through the faceplate and terminate directly to the satellite box. Much simpler, more robust and less joins in the cable. It will look a bit messy until the satellite box is in place but once it is it will look the same.

The electrican has already cut them unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I'd agrees with 2011.
    Also if you use a faceplate behind a wall mounted tv the cables can end up pushing the at the back of the TV (depending on how tight the mount is).
    I've a few of these in my house with speakerwire/hdmis etc

s-l500.jpg

Thanks I think I'll do that for the wall mounted TV in the bedroom the living sitting room TV isnt.

stevek93 wrote: »
    The electrican has already cut them unfortunately.

No problem, joint them with F connectors and hide connectors in the back of the box. Then continue with the extended cables as Stoner described.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

This is what i do when installing a satellite system. I mount a back box with a blanking plate and run the cables out from under the back box. It is a neat way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The electrician in our house used modules. The sky q box didn't like them and he removed the module and extended the cable.

Modules look better when there is no TV there, but when it is up no one sees and there is one less joint.

The electrician in our house used modules. The sky q box didn't like them and he removed the module and extended the cable.

A straight through module is no different to joining and extending a cable, it would be interesting to know what type of modules he was using and how well the connections were made?

During a recent refurb here I ran my own cabling, fitted sockets etc., but even then the electrician messed around with it, bending the cable etc.

I find some electricians have little knowledge in this area.

A straight through module is no different to joining and extending a cable

Agreed, however perhaps these were not simply straight through modules.
    I find some electricians have little knowledge in this area.

Most electricians are not formally trained in this area so they just learn it as they go. That is certainly the way I learned what I needed to know and it always worked for me. Also requirements keep changing so even those that were formally trained require retraining.

however perhaps these were not simply straight through modules.

That would be my thinking, possibly diplexed or triplexed modules that don't allow the full wideband LNB I.F. range to pass-through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

A straight through module is no different to joining and extending a cable, it would be interesting to know what type of modules he was using and how well the connections were made?

I can't remember what type of module it was. It was just a single module with a single F-Type output.
    In saying that the Sky installer went through the place like a whirlwind and just cut it off after first or second attempt. Obviously in a rush.

Advertisement