Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good garden fork

Options
  • 06-04-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a garden fork that will last. I’ve lost count of the number I’ve been through in the last few years. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Any recommendations for a garden fork that will last. I’ve lost count of the number I’ve been through in the last few years. :rolleyes:
    True temper f103dlhdr double forged is a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Short or long handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Short or long handle?

Short handle please, for the garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll second the true temper darby fork. great customer service from them too - i snapped one of the stainless steel ones a few years ago, and dropped them a mail. they asked me to drop it around to where i bought it, but even before they'd picked it up, a courier arrived at the door with a replacement fork (the darby), a hand trowel, a hand fork, gloves, and a pair of secateurs.
    the chap rang me and said the darby was the strongest, which is why he sent that out to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have a Spear and Jackson which is wood but not the lightest as the metal half and the prongs are very solid and it's stainless - not all steel is equal and some skimp by designing lightweight prongs that are curved with a hollow back - a bit like half moon

Polypropylene shafts are now common enough I'll guess they are stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the chap from true temper explicitly told me that forged is stronger than stainless.
    my stainless one broke at the 'neck' - i.e. below where the wooden handle ended, pretty much just where it was joined to the tines.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

Personally could go past the fiskars one it is really nice to use and extremely robust. like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-Ergonomic-Garden-prongs-Length/dp/B001NM230Y

at over STG£80, it'd want to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

at over STG£80, it'd want to be!

Can be bought for around 40 euro normally 8f u keep ure eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I bought a Wilkinson Sword fork a few years ago. Snapped the first day I got it I believe. :(

Advertisement