Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbridge Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Sorry to hear that one of the oldest shops in Newbridge is closing this week.The Nook on station road has been there as long as i remember. The current proprietors have being running it for about thirty years, prior to that i remember Greta Blake ran it in the sixties. I belive the Cox family actually own the premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

lanomist wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that one of the oldest shops in Newbridge is closing this week.The Nook on station road has been there as long as i remember. The current proprietors have being running it for about thirty years, prior to that i remember Greta Blake ran it in the sixties. I belive the Cox family actually own the premises.

Retiring?

MotorMike wrote: »
    Is there a market for that in Newbridge? Will it see 6 months?

If Instagram is to be believed, its proving popular. Appears all the time in the Newbridge location story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Donal's is having a closing down sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Cazale wrote: »
    Donal's is having a closing down sale.

Probably linked to Kildare's very poor recent form and drop in flag sales!

A stalwart of the town though, i'd say the concentration of footfall around the whitewater & courtyard with dealz etc has been a major impact on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

TheShow wrote: »
    Probably linked to Kildare's very poor recent form and drop in flag sales!

A stalwart of the town though, i'd say the concentration of footfall around the whitewater & courtyard with dealz etc has been a major impact on it.

it is a prime location for the right business its slap bang in the middle of town. i am surprised nothing has gone in to the old yvonnes shop as it is also a good location

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    it is a prime location for the right business its slap bang in the middle of town. i am surprised nothing has gone in to the old yvonnes shop as it is also a good location

its a big spot.
    I always had a vision of opening something akin to swans in Naas in the bridge. just need the spare capital. Donals would be a great location, not too far down the non business end of the town.

New shop called Elegant Lighting opening soon on the main street near O'Rourkes.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭richiek83

ando wrote: »
    That’s annoying, it’s an ugly eye sore. What are they looking for?? It’s different if they have an investor ready to restore it but if they’re fighting for it to be boarded up for years to come then that makes no sense.
    Not sure who bought it but there is a row over the sale (possibly in the courts). It seems an "action group" wants the sale examined as the hall was originally set up for Irish cultural purposes or similar and they are questioning how and why the remaining trustees sold it on to a private buyer (as I understand it).

I don't know where these activists were for the last 60 years as the building lay derelict...

New application in with KCC for this site.

Development Description:
    to demolish existing derelict building/hall and for permission to replace it with new four storey building containing four shop units, two office units and six apartments. Bin and bicycle spaces and all associated site works

Development Address:
    Cutlery Road,,Newbridge,,Co. Kildare.

• Advertisement

Would be good to see that redeveloped.

I'm a relative newbie in Newbridge, on down here 4 years from Dublin. What is that building on the corner of Cutlery Road thats behind the black hoarding now? Would be great to see that knocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭richiek83

GavMan wrote: »

I'm a relative newbie in Newbridge, on down here 4 years from Dublin. What is that building on the corner of Cutlery Road thats behind the black hoarding now? Would be great to see that knocked.
    Before White Water, it was a solicitors office and I think before that it may have been a hostel. When White Water was being constructed, it was used as office during construction for the contractors I think. Since WW opened, it has remained derelict. Its a horrible looking building. Anything that would replace it could be up to 4 stories high (same as WW) as this is what is allowed in the Newbridge LAP.

GavMan wrote:

GavMan wrote:

Yeah we approach the town from this end and the old band hall, the water tower and the building above are all eyesores blocking the whitewater. Would be good to see them all gone.

Yeah we approach the town from this end and the old band hall, the water tower and the building above are all eyesores blocking the whitewater. Would be good to see them all gone.

the water tower is a protected structure I'd imagine. I wouldnt think of it as an eyesore, it s piece of history, much like Charlie Ryans.....

the water tower is a protected structure I'd imagine. I wouldnt think of it as an eyesore, it s piece of history, much like Charlie Ryans.....

If that is the case for the water tower, then all the more reason to tidy it up and the area around it. Just cosmetically like

If that is the case for the water tower, then all the more reason to tidy it up and the area around it. Just cosmetically like

agreed, no reason for it to become direlict.

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote:

There was an attempt by some local councillors to have it painted and tidied up recently. Stevensons paint shop were gonna donate the paint for free but last I read they couldn't contact the owners for permission.

There was an attempt by some local councillors to have it painted and tidied up recently. Stevensons paint shop were gonna donate the paint for free but last I read they couldn't contact the owners for permission.

That's a shame. I would have thought it was the OPW who owned it. Who knew it was private!!

It could be a nice landmark for the town like you'd see in small towns in the US. Tidy it up, put the name of the town on it, Open up the surrounding area for footfall, small weekend market or something like that.

Ho hum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

That's a shame. I would have thought it was the OPW who owned it. Who knew it was private!!

It could be a nice landmark for the town like you'd see in small towns in the US. Tidy it up, put the name of the town on it, Open up the surrounding area for footfall, small weekend market or something like that.

Ho hum

I thought the county council owned it. Certainly they would have when it was in use.

Heard that Bru House is to change hands. It's a pity it never quite lived up to its potential. I loved their beers but the food and atmosphere wasn't always up to scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Heard that Bru House is to change hands. It's a pity it never quite lived up to its potential. I loved their beers but the food and atmosphere wasn't always up to scratch.

I'm not a big drinker, but have been here a few times for private parties, and can honestly say I was never left disappointed foodwise.

But who knows, maybe the new gaffers might make a better run of the place.

• Advertisement

Saw this on the net today:

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/newbridge-silverware-targets-100000-extra-visitors-with-factory-tour-launch-36972007.html

I notice no mention of whether that €7 is still the entrance fee or will it now increase? Or even decrease? Sad to say I won't be walking up the stairs anytime soon to find out. A pity!

I'm not a big drinker, but have been here a few times for private parties, and can honestly say I was never left disappointed foodwise.

Myself and the missus used to go every week at one stage and loved it but it has been very hit and miss recently. Most of the original staff left in the last six months which might have a lot to do with it. Heard when the new bar takeover its gonna have a gin/cocktail vibe.

Myself and the missus used to go every week at one stage and loved it but it has been very hit and miss recently. Most of the original staff left in the last six months which might have a lot to do with it. Heard when the new bar takeover its gonna have a gin/cocktail vibe.[/QUOTE

And food? Will they still be serving? Really hope so, if only to offer a choice in Newbridge, which has a very poor choice.

Opening this Friday. Walked by it this evening and restaurant looks very nice.

Anyone been here yet? Any thoughts? I believe they won't do take-aways at all. Hope that doesn't come back to bite them.

A new sushi restaurant is going into the building where Gourmet Burger used to be outside the whitewater.

Ate here this evening. Very impressed with the decor, though the loos leave a lot to be desired - the door on the handicapped toilet had a sign up 'out of order', suspect the smashed lock on the door might have something to do with that. Food was well presented, no problem with service either. However the prices are very expensive imho.

Would I go and park the car in WW and walk up there in the depth of winter while being lashed with rain/snow? I doubt it. If the Kildare GAA shop cannot survive there ( almost directly opposite this restaurant ) hard to see this place surviving.

Sad day on Saturday when Donal's closed it's doors for the last time.

That block is getting barer and barer. Pity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

ando wrote: »
    That’s annoying, it’s an ugly eye sore. What are they looking for?? It’s different if they have an investor ready to restore it but if they’re fighting for it to be boarded up for years to come then that makes no sense.

I think they would like to see it set aside for public use
    https://kildare-nationalist.ie/2017/08/06/anger-at-sale-of-newbridge-hall/

I see the small housing development on the Athgarvan Road just past Walshestown Cross has a sign up at the Graveyard calling the estate Kilbelin Abbey. Surely they can't call it that with Kilbelin Abbey having existed for many years now across from Belmont Green??

GavMan wrote:
    I see the small housing development on the Athgarvan Road just past Walshestown Cross has a sign up at the Graveyard calling the estate Kilbelin Abbey. Surely they can't call it that with Kilbelin Abbey having existed for many years now across from Belmont Green??

They are finishing off Kilbellin Abbey behind Liffey Hall and the graveyard which the developer stopped during the recession. Think it's between 60-80 houses.

They are finishing off Kilbellin Abbey behind Liffey Hall and the graveyard which the developer stopped during the recession. Think it's between 60-80 houses.

Ah okay. Didn't realise there was more to be built in there so just assumed it was the new development. Cheers for clearing that up. Would make way more sense...

• Advertisement

GavMan wrote:
    Ah okay. Didn't realise there was more to be built in there so just assumed it was the new development. Cheers for clearing that up. Would make way more sense...

You can't see it from the main road. I'm in Liffey Hall so I can hear them from half seven each morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Is Newbridge a good spot to go out in? Pubs clubs wise or would naas be better? A few of us are heading there this Saturday never been out in Newbridge before but was out in Naas loads..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

benny79 wrote: »
    Is Newbridge a good spot to go out in? Pubs clubs wise or would naas be better? A few of us are heading there this Saturday never been out in Newbridge before but was out in Naas loads..

I would not recommend Newbridge for a night out. Maybe for a few pints there might be a bit of an atmosphere if Kildare footballers beat Fermanagh on Saturday, but if you plan on staying out until the early hours you would be much better off going to Naas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Naas much much better for a night out

If there is music on in Flanagan’s then it might be worth staying in newbridge, but it’s pretty dull otherwise. Swifts or whatever it’s called now is a dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

If there is music on in Flanagan’s then it might be worth staying in newbridge, but it’s pretty dull otherwise. Swifts or whatever it’s called now is a dump.

Newbridge native here,

go to Naas for music. Newbridge used to be great for music. last few years its died down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

Cheers lads,

My cousin was heading over to see the wolf tones there playing somewhere.. but I rather head to Naas to be honest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,211 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

swifts used to be the spot along with whitewater but I hear they are gone to sheise now

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thesodofturf

If you go out in Newbridge in hopes of finding decent human companionship, conversation human fulfillment, you'll be fine.
    If you're looking for aesthetics, you might want to try Naas. Beautiful pubs (beats Newbridge hands-down), great restaurants (beats Newbridge hands-down), better nightclub scene (beats Newbridge hands-down).
    Basically, if you love bulls*it, head for Naas, if you hate bullsh*t, stay put.

• Advertisement

Swifts has been put up for sale by its current owner so maybe it'll be turned around.

Interesting, I didn't know that. You know what though, Swifts did have:
    - daytime carvery, children-friendly, hearty, good price, no nonsence
    - one of the best New Year's Nights I was ever at (downstairs bar)
    - while the club was sh*t at many levels, there are memories.

Trying to say: while being sold might herald better times, I...will...miss...Swifts

Interesting, I didn't know that. You know what though, Swifts did have:
    - daytime carvery, children-friendly, hearty, good price, no nonsence
    - one of the best New Year's Nights I was ever at (downstairs bar)
    - while the club was sh*t at many levels, there are memories.

Trying to say: while being sold might herald better times, I...will...miss...Swifts

Back in the day it was a great spot, spent a fortune in there for sure. The McGowans crew didn't do anything with it to rejuvenate it when they bought a few year ago, not surprised to hear its on the market again. Newbridge needs to up its nightlife game. Bring back Pharohs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,211 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Good jebus, pharoahs, now there was a spot. Only went the once, couldnt stand the place or the people.

A lad I knew used to call Pharoah's 'Gorillas in the Mist'.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Hi folks,

Would anyone happen to know what date Scoil Mhuire Senior school in Ballymany is back in Aug/Sept. Doesn't seem to be on their website.

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Would anyone happen to know what date Scoil Mhuire Senior school in Ballymany is back in Aug/Sept. Doesn't seem to be on their website.

Thanks in advance!

I would suspect that there are different dates for different years like many schools.

Send them an email or call them on Monday, most schools have admin staff on during summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Does anyone know anymore about the possibility of an Aldi coming to Newbridge? I've been hearing about this for years and even saw a proposed site but this doesn't seem to be happening.

I'd love an Aldi in Newbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Does anyone know anymore about the possibility of an Aldi coming to Newbridge? I've been hearing about this for years and even saw a proposed site but this doesn't seem to be happening.

I'd love an Aldi in Newbridge

it will be going behind DID next to the Topaz station. Part of an overall redevelopment of the Courtyard/Retail park site and work is due to start soon as I think all planning applications for the site are now approved.

At a guess, I would say it will open early/mid next year

Planning permission has been sought for 280 houses and 60 apartments on the athgarvan road. On the land opposite the traffic lights going into Liffey Hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Planning permission has been sought for 280 houses and 60 apartments on the athgarvan road. On the land opposite the traffic lights going into Liffey Hall.

Is that where the link road was meant to go?

• Advertisement
Advertisement