Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital COVID surcharge

Options
  • 20-08-2020 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

I have a proceedure coming up shortly at the Mater Private. I just had a call from them stating that because of COVID, there is now a €70 surcharge in addition to any other fees. When i asked about what the charge was for i was told, "additional cleaning, PPE and checking my temperature on arrival."

I would have thought that a hospital should already be doing their upmost to keep the place clean and that any member of staff should already be wearing PPE when operating in a sterile environment...

Are they taking the piss or what? Has anyone else had such a charge levied on them?
    Tagged:

Comments

They were initially charging 250 or something and yep it really is taking the piss. It's a hundred with my hospital which I get a regular treatment in but insurance covers it thankfully. It's pretty exploitative.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

Yeah they really have you over the barrell don't they! I called my insurance and they said that they are currently in talks with them over the charge. As it stands, i won't have to pay it, however if talks fall through i will be "liable" for payment and would receive an invoice from the hospital. Seems that they can just levy any "tax" on patients without any recourse. It's not like you can just say, "nah ya know what, i think i'll go with the public system". You'd be dead by the time you get an appointment :mad:

Advertisement