Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer a year out of date...would you drink it?

Options
  • 24-05-2015 7:56pm

Not a big drinker at home, cans bought for Christmas usually end up lasting for months afterwards, if I go to a friends house I'll just stop for cans at an off licence on the way rather than root through the drinks in the house.

Anyway, just found 6 cans of Carlsberg at the back of the drinks press. The best before date is the 22/05/14. My instinct is that they should be grand, anyone here an expert on out of date beer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

I'd say they are fine, drink on!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Go right ahead. Drank a can of Heineken 18 months out of date recently and I'm still breathing. Had a few dodgy dreams that night but that could be entirely coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭rameire

sure the alcohol in the beer will kill any bad bacteria.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Wouldn't drink it myself....but would give it to a friend to drink and observe in case it ends badly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Boil it first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Toss it, not worth taking a chance on tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Be grand I'd say. My uncle's like you, barely ever drinks but of course people always bring some when they're staying, so he and my aunt have cupboards full of the stuff. He sent some cans home with me one time and I only noticed later that they were about 14 months out of date. They were fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Best before means nothing.
    as there's no 'use by' date, you'll be grand...

Links234 wrote: »
    Toss it, not worth taking a chance on tbh

That would be my usual reaction, but am staying on couch and can't be bothered going to off licence so it's them or diluted orange for the night...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It won't do you any harm, but it will taste manky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

That would be my usual reaction, but am staying on couch and can't be bothered going to off licence so it's them or diluted orange for the night...

Or else you might be staying on the white throne for the night??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wouldn't drink Carlsberg even if it was in date ...having said that your Carslberg probably is still fine to drink, it isn't really beer anyway :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

I drank Budweiser in my youth before I knew any better.......can't be any worse than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭wadk

So I came across this thread after opening a beer I bought last night called kentucky kolsch, bought just the one
    Tasted ok cold, checked the BB Date 07/2014... swines I could lob the bottle back at them now
    Anyway no funny twitches or rumblings yet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Jaysis OP, I wouldn't even drink it if it was in date! State of Carlsberg!

Malibu and 7Up is yer man there.

Jaysis OP, I wouldn't even drink it if it was in date! State of Carlsberg!

Malibu and 7Up is yer man there.

For me it's Carlsberg Carlsberg Carlsberg.

Once I'm full of beer, if I'm out I'll move on to vodka and coke or if in rounds we might do silly stuff like tequila or fat frogs. But when it comes to beer, gotta be Carlsberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The lads over in the beer forums are always drinking beer over its sell by date, some lads have been drinking stuff ten years past its sell by late, and none ever complain.

Drink it up op, It'll do ya no harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

It'd be perfectly safe to drink but won't taste great.. Auld lads in these parts used to insist on large bottles of Guinness being let go out o date. Sweetened them they said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

For me it's Carlsberg Carlsberg Carlsberg.

Once I'm full of beer, if I'm out I'll move on to vodka and coke or if in rounds we might do silly stuff like tequila or fat frogs. But when it comes to beer, gotta be Carlsberg.

Vodka & Coke is for girls! Why not sample a scrummy appletini?. It comes in a funky, sophisticated glass and makes you look awesome balls!

Whatever floats yer boat and milks yer goat!

Happy drinking :)

Thanks for the input, general reaction seems to be go for it, so will. Have 2 in date cans, so will start with those anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Thanks for the input, general reaction seems to be go for it, so will. Have 2 in date cans, so will start with those anyway.

Ah jesus no! You have to start with the old ones. Otherwise, you could get really, really sick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It'll be absolutely fine but you'll need to give it a good shake just before you open it to make sure it hasn't settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nope. I had a bad experience with out of date beer given to me in a nightclub on a hen night and I was so unbelievably sick after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Nope. I had a bad experience with out of date beer given to me in a nightclub on a hen night and I was so unbelievably sick after it.
    What had you eaten before it that night? Out of date beer will not make you sick.
    Were you mixing you're drinks?

Ah jesus no! You have to start with the old ones. Otherwise, you could get really, really sick

Would it not be the other way around? If the out if date stuff could taste a bit off, the first couple might dull the taste buds anyway.

Not that I drink Carlsberg, or any alcohol, for the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I wouldn't have any bother drinking beer that's out of date. Maybe it won't taste quite as good as a fresh can but it will be ok. I drank a Beamish that was several years out of date and couldn't notice the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Best before means nothing.
    as there's no 'use by' date, you'll be grand...

In this case the OP will be 'best before' and 'worse after'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It won't do you any harm, but it will taste manky.

So it might improve the taste

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Worst case scenario it'll taste shhit, it won't be harmful at all. Do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Its a "best before" date not a "use by" date.

I often drink the odd tin thats 18 months or so out of date - nothing happened to me apart from posting utter shoite :D

There was a court case a few years back of someone selling corned beef from the first world war. They went to prison but the corned dog was tested and was absolutely fine to eat.

Advertisement