Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth record copies

Options
  • 05-11-2014 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I haven't ordered birth records before and I want to ask if there is an address on the record, or at least the area. The reason I want to order one is to find out where the parents lived at the time of the birth. This would be in the 1880's.

Thank you, Eve

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There should be an address (for the father) however it may not be much use. I've had as vague as "Duncannon" all the way to exact street addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Eve222

Thank you MYOB, it is the father's address that I want, and an area would be ok because if it the place I think it is, it is out in a country area. If it is only the district it wouldn't help with what I want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

If the location is a rural area it should include the name of the townland the birth took place in in. Often the same address appears three times on a birth, once as place of birth, and again as father's usual residence, and also address of informant which is often one of the parents.

Thank you Shane, that would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

The practice varies quite a lot about addresses. If the baby was born in hospital, and the informant was a nurse/doctor in the hospital, the only address would be the hospital address which is useless. The baptismal record is sometimes more informative, but again practices varied from parish to parish. Some parishes will give the address of the parents as well as of the sponsors. Happy days when that happens.

• Advertisement

Thank you KildareFan, it is worth a try. I'll send off for the cert.

Advertisement