Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Appliances - Kitchen designers recommend Nordmende Neff

Options
  • 09-01-2013 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

We are getting some kitchen designs and a few of the outlets recommend Neff and Nordmende for appliances - I think they use Neff and Nordmende distributors if you get the appliances via the Kitchen supplier.

Now Neff are out of budget realistically. But has anyone purchased Nordmende and what do they think of them. I know Nordmende have a place in Dublin which is a good thing in terms of parts and service and I think they offer a 3 year warranty which is also good.

Just wondering if anyone has any experince of them. Or do people recommend going elsewhere for appliances - DID electrical, Currys etc?

I'm looking for all integrated appliances - Dishwasher, Double oven, Hob, Fridge Freezer and Microwave.

Any advice welcome. Tks, RR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mike literis

kitchen fitters and designers make a margin by selling you neff or nordmende as they have a deal with KAL ( kitchen appliances limited ) who are the agents for both neff and nordmende . they are based up in citywest . nordmende brand name was bought by KAL a few years ago and relaunched as a budget (ish)brand . neff is the high end and well worth it if budget allows

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

Thanks Mike, Unfortunately Neff appliances are not within budget - at least not all Neff anyway. Just wondering if anyone who has Nordmende can recommend them or not. And I'm wondering whether I would get better value getting all appliances with KAL or with one of the electrical stores.

Or indeed af anyone has advice about certain brands to stay away from in relation to certain appliances that would be welcome too. Just trying to do a bit of research at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Siemens Bosh and Neff are all part of the same group with the Neff being the higher end of the market . If Neff is out of budget Bosch would be a good quality option.

We got Bosch Fridge Freezer and undercounter freezer ( now 15 years old ) and only fault was hinge failure on fridge freezer a month ago. Miele for Dishwasher / WM and tumble dryer ( Dishwasher packed in after 8 years, Washing machine ( Drain pump failure last week only fault in 15 years and Tumble Dryer still going after 15 years) .

Replaced Dedetrich Pyro oven ( Pyro fried control panel )with Neff U15M52S3GB before x-mas . This is the new model out with about 8 functions and got it for €979.

Dak

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

Hi,
    We got a new fitted kitchen 2 years back and due to blowing our budget had to go with nordmende appliances.

Most of them turned out to be fine but the oven is terrible.
    • Very limited features.
    • Control buttons are blistering due to heat from grill?
    • The seals on the doors are useless, draught from top oven when fan is on in the bottom oven.
    • Door looks slightly twisted, scoring unit when opening and closing.
    • The glass doors are stained on the inside, can be removed to clean but who's gonna do that, sealed would be better :).
    • The oven is also not self cleaning, made the mistake of assuming all modern ovens where, serious smoke....
    • Lastly, the enamel surface at the bottom has started to peel away, not sure what the significance or consequences of this might be but suffice to say I'd be happy to throw it in a skip....

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭RebelRebel

Thanks for the replies. Went with Neff for the oven in the end. But Nordmende for the rest. Hopefully they will work out! Appreciate the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

Hi rebel rebel,

We are in the exact same position as you were, we have been recommended Normende or Electrolux and in fairness there is little difference I think:confused: Just wondering are you happy you went with Normende? I thought the dishwasher looked a little flimsy. I wonder did you go for stainless steel, we are a little worried about the stainless getting stained with fingerprints etc and being hard to clean. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

STForSale wrote: »
    Hi,
    We got a new fitted kitchen 2 years back and due to blowing our budget had to go with nordmende appliances.

Most of them turned out to be fine but the oven is terrible.
    • Very limited features.
    • Control buttons are blistering due to heat from grill?
    • The seals on the doors are useless, draught from top oven when fan is on in the bottom oven.
    • Door looks slightly twisted, scoring unit when opening and closing.
    • The glass doors are stained on the inside, can be removed to clean but who's gonna do that, sealed would be better :).
    • The oven is also not self cleaning, made the mistake of assuming all modern ovens where, serious smoke....
    • Lastly, the enamel surface at the bottom has started to peel away, not sure what the significance or consequences of this might be but suffice to say I'd be happy to throw it in a skip....
    Sorry for OT comment, but regarding your oven...

Do you close the oven door whilst grilling? The door must generally be closed.

This brings me to your next point about the draught, as this is deliberate. There is a secondary fan that blows under the the control panel (you should see vent holes), that blows rising heat away from the knobs above so that they don't overheat. This is also why usually, the manual will ask that the oven door is closed during grilling - so that excessive heat doesn't overheat the controls.

Back on topic, I'd agree that Bosch would be a good compromise over Neff. Nordmende seems to be OK, though they're generally basic, as you'd expect in that price bracket. Good enough warranty though for budget appliances.

I'd also consider Electrolux ovens that have the wrap-around catalytic liners. I've one 6 years now, no problems so far. I'm expecting the fan element to go soon though, as it's used quite a lot and possibly near end of life. Surprisingly, the bulb hasn't blown yet either.

byte wrote: »
    Sorry for OT comment, but regarding your oven...

Do you close the oven door whilst grilling? The door must generally be closed.

This brings me to your next point about the draught, as this is deliberate. There is a secondary fan that blows under the the control panel (you should see vent holes), that blows rising heat away from the knobs above so that they don't overheat. This is also why usually, the manual will ask that the oven door is closed during grilling - so that excessive heat doesn't overheat the controls.

Back on topic, I'd agree that Bosch would be a good compromise over Neff. Nordmende seems to be OK, though they're generally basic, as you'd expect in that price bracket. Good enough warranty though for budget appliances.

I'd also consider Electrolux ovens that have the wrap-around catalytic liners. I've one 6 years now, no problems so far. I'm expecting the fan element to go soon though, as it's used quite a lot and possibly near end of life. Surprisingly, the bulb hasn't blown yet either.

I do close the oven door while grilling but as I said to the unhelpful people in KAL, I need to open it to get the stuff out.

I would not expect to feel the draft when both doors are shut but as my opinion is unqualified, I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

I have had these appliances for almost 3 years now and regret buying them, they are inferior to anything I've had before and will be replacing them as soon as I can.

Go with whatever the similar priced alternative is would be my advise, it has been said around here that resellers push nordmende as the commission is higher, not because they are any good and my experience certainly backs this theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭fm

STForSale wrote: »
    I do close the oven door while grilling but as I said to the unhelpful people in KAL, I need to open it to get the stuff out.

I would not expect to feel the draft when both doors are shut but as my opinion is unqualified, I'll bow to your superior knowledge.

I have had these appliances for almost 3 years now and regret buying them, they are inferior to anything I've had before and will be replacing them as soon as I can.

Go with whatever the similar priced alternative is would be my advise, it has been said around here that resellers push nordmende as the commission is higher, not because they are any good and my experience certainly backs this theory.

commission is not higher on nordmende products compared to other brands.The main reason kitchen companies push neff and nordmende is that kal supply mainly kitchen manufacturers-it's easy for a kitchen company to become an agent for these brands,some other distributors are very particular on who they supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

I'm thinking of buying a Nordmende dishwasher. Does anyone have any thoughts on if I should or not. I can't find any reviews online for this brand.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Relative had two of them, first one failed and was replaced under warranty.
    Second one also failed, relative refused a third one and got a hotpoint instead.

I've had a Zanussi dish washer for 9 years and it hasn't missed a beat.

As a general rule of thumb, avoid anything with a Nordmende badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Thanks STForSale, I couldn't find reviews on any review websites for Nordmende dishwashers. I decided to go for a Beko one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Nordmende are known as no mend because repairing them is impossible.

Quality of neff is very poor nowadays we had three hinges and two elements on our oven within one year.

Have gone completely for all new bosch in our new kitchen and very happy so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

similar to original poster am changing kitchen and recommended Normende or Neff for intergrated hob and oven. Have a very ordinary free standing cooker at present - presumably would be crazy not to change. Prob go with Normende from supplier for convenience but will prob have a quick look at local electrical shops also.

if I do change hob there is fairly small price diff in Normende for Induction v Ceramic about 30 or 40 euro - am thinking from a little research tahn induction woudl be teh way to go?:)

chickey wrote: »
    similar to original poster am changing kitchen and recommended Normende or Neff for intergrated hob and oven. Have a very ordinary free standing cooker at present - presumably would be crazy not to change. Prob go with Normende from supplier for convenience but will prob have a quick look at local electrical shops also.

if I do change hob there is fairly small price diff in Normende for Induction v Ceramic about 30 or 40 euro - am thinking from a little research tahn induction woudl be teh way to go?:)

Neff are crap.

Go for induction, it is incredible we don't know how we ever managed without it!

And yes it is as good as advertised although go for a decent make, ours was well over €1000

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

chickey wrote: »
    similar to original poster am changing kitchen and recommended Normende or Neff for intergrated hob and oven

Neff are very expensive and I would be wary of Nordmende as it seems to be an 'off the shelf' brand that someone bought so that they'd have a recognised label to stick on their white goods. Bush, Russell Hobbs and Morphy Richards are similar legacy brands that now appear on goods manufactured by companies that simply paid cash for the brand names.

Buy the brands you want, the kitchen company will install them, the dimensions are the same for most integrated units so it doesn't matter to the guys doing the installation who made them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kcopsspock

Hi there we have all nordmende appliances, about 3 years old.
    Dishwasher failed showing a fault code which was to replace the heater element and turbi sensor, bought this 50 euros replaced part and still no joy, so with further investigation I found an electric wire broke. The wires travel from the top to the bottom of the front panel on the inside and curl under the door to all the parts underneath, where the wires curl under the door they are encased in a plastic sleeve (which is to protect the wires from opening and closing the door), but this sleeve was worn down (cracked open) leaving wires unprotected and resulted in one wire cut through and others damaged. I repaired these wires and this solved the problem. This is a major design flaw as wires could easily be routed a different way so there not under pressure from opening and closing the door , and for me looks like a deliberate flaw.
    An average person will see a fault code and call a repair person out and pay for parts and labour while all thats to be done is repair a wire (10 minute job and no parts) I spent most of a day after changing the part the machine told me to and as this didn't solve the problem took out lots of other parts to check them and the wires and connections to each part and took out the circuit board and every thing looked fine until finally I took the front panel off the machine and seen the damaged wires, Im still shocked at this kind design flaw, common sense would tell anyone this is a flaw.

Hod glass top cracked (rubbish)

Oven door handle is loose have to investigate this now as its a double glass panel and the screws are in between the glass panels.
    Oven stopped working the other day so checked the fan element which is burnt out, now 65 euros to replace that.

We bought an expensive kitchen and had to buy fairly cheap appliances.

Nordmende is absolute rubbish I wouldn't recommend there products to anyone. Lets face it we all want the best kitchen we can afford but personally im sorry now that we didn't go slightly cheaper on the kitchen and spend more on a better brand of appliances.

I rest my case, go for good not cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LeeSanchez

kitchen fitters and designers make a margin by selling you neff or nordmende as they have a deal with KAL ( kitchen appliances limited ) who are the agents for both neff and nordmende . they are based up in citywest . nordmende brand name was bought by KAL a few years ago and relaunched as a budget (ish)brand . neff is the high end and well worth it if budget allows

Thanks for Recommendation of Budgetary Kitchen Appliances !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

kcopsspock wrote: »
    Hi there we have all nordmende appliances, about 3 years old.
    Dishwasher failed showing a fault code which was to replace the heater element and turbi sensor, bought this 50 euros replaced part and still no joy, so with further investigation I found an electric wire broke. The wires travel from the top to the bottom of the front panel on the inside and curl under the door to all the parts underneath, where the wires curl under the door they are encased in a plastic sleeve (which is to protect the wires from opening and closing the door), but this sleeve was worn down (cracked open) leaving wires unprotected and resulted in one wire cut through and others damaged. I repaired these wires and this solved the problem. This is a major design flaw as wires could easily be routed a different way so there not under pressure from opening and closing the door , and for me looks like a deliberate flaw.
    An average person will see a fault code and call a repair person out and pay for parts and labour while all thats to be done is repair a wire (10 minute job and no parts) I spent most of a day after changing the part the machine told me to and as this didn't solve the problem took out lots of other parts to check them and the wires and connections to each part and took out the circuit board and every thing looked fine until finally I took the front panel off the machine and seen the damaged wires, Im still shocked at this kind design flaw, common sense would tell anyone this is a flaw.

Hod glass top cracked (rubbish)

Oven door handle is loose have to investigate this now as its a double glass panel and the screws are in between the glass panels.
    Oven stopped working the other day so checked the fan element which is burnt out, now 65 euros to replace that.

We bought an expensive kitchen and had to buy fairly cheap appliances.

Nordmende is absolute rubbish I wouldn't recommend there products to anyone. Lets face it we all want the best kitchen we can afford but personally im sorry now that we didn't go slightly cheaper on the kitchen and spend more on a better brand of appliances.

Seconded, Norse Mende is crap. As for KAL, nice when buying, completely ignorant when something goes wrong!! Avoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

Could someone recommend brands to consider for applicances for a new kitchen.
    induction hob
    oven
    dishwasher
    fridge freezer

Could someone recommend brands to consider for applicances for a new kitchen.
    induction hob
    oven
    dishwasher
    fridge freezer

Bosch top of the range all the way, we got job, oven, dishwasher, fridge and extractor all top Bosch and they're the best we've ever had always used to have neff and got fed up with the crap quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mihalk

Nordmende was a German maker of radios, tvs, tape recorders etc.
    I had a radio in the 70s - amazingly good sound quality.

Nordmende these days is just a trading name - and in Ireland it belongs to KAL (see Wikipedia on Nordmende)

Who makes the white goods and where they are made is not shown on their website - though they do claim some German Engineering heritage - which is a joke.

I have "inherited" one of their gas ovens - I wouldn't recommend them to anyone - very poorly thought out - small pans fall through the "pan support" and sparse features.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Recent thread over in Consumer Issues where OP had a bunch of Nordmende appliances supplied and fitted by the kitchen company, not a happy tale....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057767447

The moral of the story is this: one brand for your entire kitchen is very seldom a good fit. No single manufacturer makes the best of everything so shop around and buy the kit yourself. All built-in appliances are designed to fit a 60 cm wide space and deep enough for any kitchen so do not believe the kitchen company if they express a preference for one brand, all they're thinking of is the commission they will get from the distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Just moved out of my last house after 12 years and all the Bosch appliances that I bought new going into it (dishwasher, fridgefreezer, condenser dryer, washing machine) were still working perfectly despite coping with a family of seven. Never broke down, nothing fell off or came loose. Top quality gear and I'll be buying Bosch again for my new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,424 ✭✭✭✭Alun

D13exile wrote: »
    Just moved out of my last house after 12 years and all the Bosch appliances that I bought new going into it (dishwasher, fridgefreezer, condenser dryer, washing machine) were still working perfectly despite coping with a family of seven. Never broke down, nothing fell off or came loose. Top quality gear and I'll be buying Bosch again for my new house.
    Some of the stuff at the lower end of the Bosch range is now being made in Spain and seemingly isn't up to the standard it was 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Alun wrote: »
    Some of the stuff at the lower end of the Bosch range is now being made in Spain and seemingly isn't up to the standard it was 12 years ago.

Ok, not disputing that but I usually don't go for the cheapest model. I get the highest energy rating I can afford (which is usually a hundred or more than the cheapest model) as I do believe it works out cheaper in the long run, especially with the use appliances get in my home.

On the other hand, my mother has gone through three fridge freezers and two washing machines in the same time span, none of which were Bosch. She now buys Bosch and so far, so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,424 ✭✭✭✭Alun

D13exile wrote: »
    Ok, not disputing that but I usually don't go for the cheapest model. I get the highest energy rating I can afford ...
    The washing machine I bought recently (approx 1 year ago) was an A+++ rated machine, and while not one of the most expensive, all singing and dancing models, wasn't the cheapest by far either. Made in Spain and we've had two call outs under warranty already.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kcopsspock

Just an update regard normende appliances, the only thing still going is the built in fridge/freezer and that never worked 100% the back of the fridge is always frozen and some items will actually freeze if touching the back of fridge, its at the right setting and have checked many times with different temperature gauges at front and is 4 degrees, so again would not recommend their products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Heavy water

Thanks for the update. My 'built in' neff all singing combi microwave which was over a grand is rusted after three years. Only a two year warranty and we mainly used it as a microwave. A counter top sharp microwave which was put in the utility room upon arrival of the Neff and which I have about 12 years is still going strong and now back in use.

Advertisement