Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esse 300 insert stove

Options
  • 18-04-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi

Anyone out there with one of these.
    http://www.chaseheating.co.uk/esse_300_multi_fuel_stove.asp

Was planning to take out the gas gussler in the sitting room and getting one of these. When not used it will seal the winds coming down the chimney and are suppose to be 400% more efficient than an open fire.

Also can be self installed into an open fire place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Was in a similar situation as you about 6 months ago. Looked at these stoves. I figured out that the firebox is small. Maybe ok if you're only going to burn coal or similar but if you have access to turf or wood, it might be a problem.

Also, the whole stove is pretty much set into the fireplace rather than sitting in the room. I would think that a significant amount of the heat will be lost up the chimney. The heat source will obviously give a better output when it sits "in the room".

In the end, I went with a Stanley Tara which stands on the existing hearth and the flue outlet fitted in the fireplace opening without having to modify either. To refer to your original post, the stanley is a self install if you're anyways handy and also will seal pretty much all of the breeze from going up the chimney when not in use. In fact, this was the main reason, I installed a stove at all. Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Thanks for reply Avns1s. I am in a smokeless area and the coal and log fire I grew up with are not possible. We get terrible nostalgic when we go back home to the open fire blazing.
    The fire box is small but it will only be used occasionally as the gas central heating is adequate. I see no reason to keep the gas fire. The easterly winds over the last week have shown up the windy and open chimney.

Your point about the stove sitting in the fireplace is very valid, was thinking that myself. Looked up the Stanley Tara stove and it looks quite big. Did you install it yourself? Also did you have to take out your fire back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I see your points in relation to the Esse and your own situation.

The Tara is really a mid sized stove. Brother in law and meself fitted it in about 2 hrs which wasn't too bad as neither of us had don't it before. Hardest part is just getting the flue pipes cut in the right sizes. I left the fireback largely intact. I say largely as it was cracked and to get the 8 inch to 6 inch flue adapter in place, I had to chip a bit off the top. Its not noticable from the outside as the stove covers it all.

If you are considering the tara (or other stove) check the flue outlet will exit into your opening without having to mess with your fireplace!

Let us know how you go.

Thanks for the replies Avns1s.

I am going to leave it for a couple of months. No rush as the summer is coming!!! Will let you know then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Anyone look any further into this.

I've looked at the Esse, a bit expensive at €950 where i seen it. Might be able to get it up north a bit cheaper.
    I have an open fireplace at the moment and want to keep that look for the summer so I like the idea that I can fit the esse insert and take it away when the fire is not in use in the warmer months (thats why i'm not looking for a conventional stove).
    Fire box is quite small, roughly 6 inches deep by 8 inches wide at front.

I have some issues with downdraft with a north, north easterly wind. Will the stove be affected by the draft?

Stovax also supply an insert stove, anyone have any experience of these?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

HI Octopus,
    There is another option from a comapany called Trip its a tr4 stove and sits againest the fireback and can be removed down the road but I dont think you will once its in. They retail at about 550 inc vat. Stovax have several insets like the stockton 7 inset at 1300 or the riva 40 at 1650.

A stove will not cure a down draught and smoke can still come in to the room as the stove draws air in to burn from the room it may help matters but i would never sell one on the basis that it will cure a problem chimney.
    Also is your fireplace insert granite/marble with a flat square opening or cast iron?

As per the previous comments these stoves convect heat while a freestanding stove radiates heat so they are doing two different things but can give a similar output while not encroaching on your living space. the problem with a freestanding stove on fireplace is the space left on the edge of the hearth usually 2-3 inches ideally you need 6-12 inches to allow soot and ash etc.

Bought a 4kw Green Stove (think it’s an import) from Fordes Furniture outside Kilcock for €499. It similar to the Esse 300, which Forde had for €700, except it has 2 vents in the bottom and a slider vent in the top for airwash.
    Took out the gas fire and just slid this stove into place. There is a bar that goes up the chimney that is tightened against the flue to keep it in place. There is also a hole in the base to drill into the fire place. My fire place has a thin layer of concrete over fire sand in the base so I did not drill it into place. The stove is so heavy that once it’s locked in place at the flue it won’t move. It is sealed by a rope seal on the edge of the stove the same as the Esse.

We find it great. There is now no draught coming down the chimney and the room is warmer. When we light it, it takes 4 briquettes and you can adjust the fire through the vents. If you want a lovely flame fire open them up and if you just want it calmer close the vents.
    The airwash vent keeps the glass clean but we have noticed that when the fire burns out it leaves a deposit of carbon on the glass. This is easily cleaned with a cloth and/or fine steel wool.
    A very small concern is taking out the stove. I think the heat going up the chimney will somehow affect the bar that’s holding it in place. This is a threaded bar and fly nut system and it was fiddly enough putting it in. I would imagine this will rust in time and be a b***h to get out. But had a look at the Esse and it’s the same system.

Anyway we are very happy with it. It makes the room real cosy.

By the way I priced this Green Stove before buying and found Forde Furniture the cheapest. Anywhere from €499 to €700. Doyles in car the second cheapest at €599. Its worth ringing around as this may not be the case now.

Thats the stove I was on about on the top of my post they are chinese cast but i cant faul them. Very good value for money imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

PadraigL,

Is the 4kw stove from the site below the one you went for?

http://www.greenstoves.ie/

Is it an inset stove? How much would it be to get someone to put it in for me? Do Fordes Furniture offer a service to put it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rehab1000

i have been looking at these two stoves. does anyone have either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

I am looking at getting the essa 3K, insert stove. I was told I didnt neeed a flue.
    What do you think, is this right?
    cathy

esse is better quality than bronpi imho but you are paying more for it if you are comparing the 350 with the bristol

cathy you do need a flue but not a flue connection the 3kw esse 300 pushes againest an existing fireback and uses the flue above to get rid of smoke.

Im putting this into my fireplace.I have a chinmey already.Would that do,thanks for the advice,cathy

yeah they just push in againest the fireback if its standard and your insert is a square 16"w x 22"h its hould go in without problems.

thanks for that.I ordered today.Got it supplied and fitted for €440
    cathy

where baouts cathy if you dont mind me asking thats a great price

fire places direct in Drogheda. Yep, am delighted,cathy

rehab1000 wrote: »
    i have been looking at these two stoves. does anyone have either?

thanks for that.
    i have also been looking at the stovax range, they are very expensive but i have been told that they are very good. does anyone have a riva 40 cassettes range. i have been quoted €1600 plus fitting so it is in the range of €2000.

rivas are very good as is their stockton 7 which is a little cheaper price is about right too.
    Our fitter has a riva 40 in his house so that tells its own story.

thanks fmcc. yes that says it all when the fitter has this type of stove. i am still undecided as it is a lot of mony. i have been looking up the north and they are more or less the same price. i think i will leave it until after christmas, there might be a sale in jan, not likely though.
    thanks again.

• Advertisement

We recently had an Esse 300 installed. Wanted a 350 as the room is big, 14' x 16' but sales said 300 was sufficient. He's right! We never had such a warm room. It burns antracite which does not make the glass black. No flue liner is required, just a cap on the chimney to prevent dampness falling into the stove causing rust. Our house is sited on an exposed seaside hill so we get some very strong winds and these do not affect the heat output. A previous poster mentioned that heat is lost up the chimney when the stove is inserted into the fireplace... not with the Esse 300. It has vents around it so that the warm air is ducted out into the room as well as the heat from the appliance itself. An excellent stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

ah i have riva 40...well impressed, little fuel= lots of heat, oh i am fitter as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 missy5

Anyone here have any experience with the Bronpi Bristol inset stove? I'm contemplating getting one and was just wondering whether it's a good make...reliable....etc. If I have any problems with it is it easy to get spare parts and the like.

Hi Missy we have sold several of these.
    We initially had problems with the handle breaking resulting in the door not being able to open (which is a problem with a stove obviously) which has now being changed to a different type of mechanism. The other issue is where we had the stoves sprayed black by the distributor, this paint peeled where the heat comes out. We now only sell the charcoal grey factory finished stove and have had no problems with the handles. the dist is sorting out all the black painted stoves with our customers.
    Everyone of the customers all were amazed and loved the heat output. So after a rocky start we seem to be on the right road now is the best I can say. I like the stove myself but just check the handle has a pin through it at the back. Check the price you are paying and make sure its installed properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 missy5

Thanks for that fmcc. What do you think would be a good price to get one for?

Hi Missy we retail about E950 depends on if fitting is required etc and what type of fireplace. Give me a buzz if you like we may be able to do a deal depending on where your based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bluesky2b

HI All, Has anyone looked at this inset stove

Aarrow Stratford Si40c 2-10Kw Inset Stove

It gives out 10kw of heat but again is a bit pricey. I'm looking to get an inset stove as a normal stove could be dangerous with a baby.

Hi Bluesky,
    very good stove imho and can be got as a boiler or just to heat the room but I have only ever sold it as a boiler model. Low heatoutput to the room, around 2kw but very good to rads so ensure the room its in has a rad fed from it or is a small room anyway. around E1850 for boiler model.

From babys point of view they will only touch it once, not being funny here I know its serious but this stoves surface will still be pipeing hot but is safer beacuse more of it is recessed into the opening lessening the chance of an accident. When my daughter was a baby I watched as she made her way to the gas fire which was very hot. I actually slowly brought her hand towards it until she felt the heat and instinctively pulled back. Sounds callous but it worked and she never went near the fire since. I know it sounds like I was a monster but it worked my hand was always closer to the fire so I knew how much heat she was feeling.
    I think some accidents happen because the child was not slowly introduced to the danger and it registered with them then. Of course an accident may still occur in play and their are several hearth gates/cages available to surround the stove or fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bluesky2b

Hi Fcmm,

How much would is cost without a boiler. Also looking to install this stove myself. Is there anything which I should watch out for??

Thanks for the info about the baby. Think I will get a fire guard!!

• Advertisement

Hi bluesky E1550 is the retail for the non boiler model from which I think is over priced. An esse 350 gives a similar output for E1250 another option is Bronpi Bristol at E950. Fitting is a little bit tricky but depends on the height of your flue gatherer. If this is just a fe inches above where the stove will be you need to remove baffles and flaunch up with sand lima and cement mix so that the soot and ash falls back down into the stove and there are no flat spots for ash or soot to gather as this could lead to chimney fires in a few years time.
    More info on installationon my blog here http://cosystoves.blogspot.com/2009/02/insert-stoves-no-boiler.html or ask here any questions you have.

Advertisement