Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

" Over 18s ID required"

Options
  • 22-03-2004 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Just wonderin if anyone knows what(if any) venues actually check ID! Most gigs I get tickets 4 say its over 18s! As Im only 16 I'd be f*cked if they asked me but they never do! Has anyone ever got stopped? Maybe its a marketing trick 2 piss us under age people off..........................:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

well for example the offspring 2 weeks ago was an over 18's gig, im 15 and had no trouble getting in and wasnt asked for id.:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah you do get turned away at gigs now without ID. Hardly at venues like The Point, The Olympia, The Ambassador or Vicar Street, but getting into shows at the likes of Temple Bar Music Centre, The Village and Whelans will prove difficult, unless the ticket actually states "all ages".

If anyone has gotten into any of those venues without (legal/illegal) ID, and is under 18, I'd like to hear your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Last May for Nada Surf's gig in Whelans I was only 16 and unaccompanied by anyone older but I just waltzed my way in. The ticket said "Over 18s Only, I.D Essential" or something to that effect. Perhaps I looked old enough. Woo and Yay I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

How about this one for ya!!! I went to papa roach last year in the point. Yeah laugh it up. I listen to just about nething. But back to the story. It was an over 16's gig. I was 17 at the time. now I have a full beard hanging off me chin!!! I was asked for ID so I gave them my college and my USIT card. They said they we're fake and we'll let ya through this time!!! I couldn't believe it. For a start who the **** would have a 2 identical fake ideas to make them 17!!! and second I don't look 15. It says under 16. Plus I've had a 2 inch beard. I know some kids have them too But still!!! Not many 15 years old have one!!! there was no point in making a scene over it but I was pissed off!!! Theres a funny one for ya. And me mate that was with me looks younger then me and he's 20 and walked right in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

Originally posted by f®eak s©enery
    Yeah you do get turned away at gigs now without ID. Hardly at venues like The Point, The Olympia, The Ambassador or Vicar Street, but getting into shows at the likes of Temple Bar Music Centre, The Village and Whelans will prove difficult, unless the ticket actually states "all ages".

If anyone has gotten into any of those venues without (legal/illegal) ID, and is under 18, I'd like to hear your story.

I got into whelans without any ID and it said on the ticket "strictly over 18s,ID required". I'm 16 and so is my mate who went with me and neither of us were asked for ID,I think it helped alot being girls though! Same with the Hub,I went to see JJ72 on the opening night was also over 18s,was asked for ID said I "forgot" it and was let in along with 5 of my mates who were all 16/17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Originally posted by D-Generate
    Last May for Nada Surf's gig in Whelans I was only 16 and unaccompanied by anyone older but I just waltzed my way in. The ticket said "Over 18s Only, I.D Essential" or something to that effect. Perhaps I looked old enough. Woo and Yay I believe.

The strict approach to concerts only came in last July or thereabouts. The last concert I went to in Whelans was Cat Power that June, but when I went to Frank Black in July the rule was stagnent, and it was a complete hassle trying to get in (I did eventually, by the skin of my teeth, but I still believe it's an unwanted experience when you just want to go to a gig). No more "I'm accompanied by an adult" tag.
    Originally posted by sillisome fiend
    I got into whelans without any ID and it said on the ticket "strictly over 18s,ID required". I'm 16 and so is my mate who went with me and neither of us were asked for ID,I think it helped alot being girls though! Same with the Hub,I went to see JJ72 on the opening night was also over 18s,was asked for ID said I "forgot" it and was let in along with 5 of my mates who were all 16/17.

For Whelans, I dunno if the same applies to you, but perhaps going in a large group helped you at The Hub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

got asked for id at the amnic street preachers in the point and they searched my bag and had to emty uout my pockts but never since

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its mainly ur eyes.
    If you look @ a bouncer on the way in, there's a good chance they'll ask you for ID.
    In the Temple Bar Music Centre, if you want to get in, check the crowd. If there's a big crowd, wait untill the Q that all the over 18's go thru (there was a door to the left looking for ID, and a door on hte right nodding most peeps in, @ Chimera) is gone, and just walk up, give the ticket to the bouncer casually, and keep walking. Try to go in with a group of older people. Not too much older, but just so that they'll all walk in easily, and you follow.

I'm 22 now, and only got asked for ID once when I was 17. I made the mistake of looking into the bouncers' eye's. Luckily, I was able to bluff my way in.

The eyes are wot gives most of the people away. The "please let me in" look. Also, if you can smell drink off your breath, there's a posabilty that they may not ask for ID. Once its not the cheap sh*te. I've gotten into some places, smelling of drink. They smell the drink of you, and think cos ur drinking (in DUblin), you must be of age.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Was never asked for id thank god. I look alot older than I am, which helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Unfortunately they have to be strict on age for insurance reasons. Allowing under 18's into the venue would require prior arrangement with the insurer and would no doubt be a lot of hassle to arrange and cost money. Also, officially taking under 18's would incur responsibilities of locum parentis or similar adding to the organisers liabilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Bazz

They might check at the Point Theatre.. I've seen a few people being pulled aside and questioned about their age before..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I never get asked for ID more than anyone else (the Queens Student Union ALWAYS asks for ID) and I always look bouncers in the eye. I've got a young face, but I'm 6foot 5, which probably helps. And I'm 20. When I was under 18 I was stopped once. I wasn't even 6 foot then and I looked young but I was always with older people so that really helped. I don't think I ever looked at the bouncers or the ground then, just looked into the faces of my friends which chatting to them and pretended the bouncers never existed. The one time I was asked I ignored the bouncer at the door, kept walking and he caught up with me inside about 30 seconds later.

Never been asked for ID at a gig though, except at the Queens Student Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Loads of kids at Muse last month were furious due to the fact that they couldn't get in (This is the Olympia by the way).

They didn't check ages at the side entrance for the balconies though.

There were two girls that were extremely pissed off that they got declined, and I went up to themand said that they'll be able to get in with our seated tickets if they wanted to swap. And they rudely turned around and said "F*CK OFF!" and then went home. I mean, what a friggin' waste of standing tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

never been asked for id going into a gig, only when i go to the bar, get frisked all the time though, last one at the offspring she spent about five minutes feelin me up, that was great:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

^ i was also violated at that concert lol

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

went to see biffy clyro in tha ambassador (hundred reasons tour) but biffy were better :D

wasn't asked for id and the guys at the door go cheers lads enjoy the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

only time i was ever turned away for not having id was at the backyard babies gig in temple bar music centre, probably because i was with a bunch of people who were underage and acting like eejits.

i got in the side door anyway. god bless mates in the business.

i remember being really worried that i wouldn't get in to a gig i organised there. alot of people found it very amusing that even though i had organised the whole thing, by law i shouldn't have been allowed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

a lot of the "big" bands wont turn under 18's away because a vast amount of the crowd are under 18's... plain and simple.

Advertisement