Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried Dimplex Air Dryer???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fogra

Don't bother getting one! I bought one on Friday thinking it would be the answer to my clothes drying problem. Not so I'm afraid to say. I put it on this morning at 11am and the clothes hadn't even dried one bit when I checked again at 6pm! Will be taking it back to the shop as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭woppers

Fogra wrote: »
    Don't bother getting one! I bought one on Friday thinking it would be the answer to my clothes drying problem. Not so I'm afraid to say. I put it on this morning at 11am and the clothes hadn't even dried one bit when I checked again at 6pm! Will be taking it back to the shop as soon as I can.

Thanks for the heads up on that! That sounds pretty lame. It looks like I'd be better off spending the extra money on a decent tumble dryer.

Cheers!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I got one for the apartment...
    it doesn't get them dry MUCH quicker, but slighty. I also use a de-humidifier also.
    the humidifer does a lot more. but the two of there combined the clothes dry over night and still smell of fabric softner in the morning,..

woppers wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on that! That sounds pretty lame. It looks like I'd be better off spending the extra money on a decent tumble dryer.

Cheers!
    I'm looking into the JML DriBuddi instead. At least it's €50 cheaper than the Dimplex.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=DRIBUDDI&authToken=

I'm looking into the JML DriBuddi instead. At least it's €50 cheaper than the Dimplex.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=DRIBUDDI&authToken=

If you end up buying it will you let me know how it goes please?

• Advertisement

If you end up buying it will you let me know how it goes please?
    Ha! Yeah, no problem. I'm the guinea pig.

Ha! Yeah, no problem. I'm the guinea pig.

Ha ha! When you put it like that.....I guess so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stephen Scully

Hi guys,

I have searched the forum and cannot find any posts about the new Dimplex Air Dryer.

http://www.did.ie/dimplex-air-dryer-dad25

I was wondering if it is any good because my heart is broke trying to get clothes dry in my house.

Thanks!
    Bought one last week- tried it for 2 nights at 8 hours a night- no effect on clothes. Returned it yest. Never so disappointed in a product.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd imagine a standard oscillating desk-fan type thing would be as effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 deeds 29

i was thinking of getting one..but will not now..i have the jml drybuddy. and its amazing..i use it for my work shirts and all my babies clothes...its neat and clothes come out wrinkle free. a light loads of around 10 items dry in 30 mins...i wouldnt be putting towels or large items in i just use the tumble dryer for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

deeds 29 wrote: »
    i was thinking of getting one..but will not now..i have the jml drybuddy. and its amazing..i use it for my work shirts and all my babies clothes...its neat and clothes come out wrinkle free. a light loads of around 10 items dry in 30 mins...i wouldnt be putting towels or large items in i just use the tumble dryer for that.

HI Deeds, Bone Dry in 30 Minutes????? What happens the waste water is there a collecting tray, sounds excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cianoc07

apparently the Dimplex model uses 10c per load???..correct me if im wrong!

what does the JML buddy use? is it economical??

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I know 2 people who had these and they both returned them, they don't work full stop. AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

With these air dryers is that you need to think about the drying process. If something is drying then the moisture is being transferred into ambient air and unless you remove that moisture from the air you could be looking at problems with damp in your room.

As Lenny mentioned, you would be better off with a dehumidifier because the fan from that will circulate the air and draw the humid air into the unit and cool it down, hence converting it from its gas form back into good old liquid form in the reservoir where you can gauge how much the clothes are actually drying.

Dehumidifiers typically work best with the air is warm as it is easier to extract moisture from warm air.
    Of course the down-side of this is that dehumidifiers can be costly to run, it all depends on the spec of the model. But I still believe the cost is less than using a tumble dryer, even those tumble dryers that have a low-heat setting...but it could be marginal.

That Dimplex AirDryer is a total rip-off in my opinion, I think it's the idea from the Dragon's Den (Irish) show and obviously Dimplex got involved...I'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maggie Do

Bought the JML Dri Buddi last week find it great, v easy to put together, dries clothes v well, I used ordinary plastic hangers which seem to be abit big but they do the job,
    [mod] no need to name it twice, in a first post it could be flagged as spam[/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 8 LondonR

So have we established if the JML dry buddi or a normal dehumidifier is more effective?

And how much does the JML dry buddi cost to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

LondonR wrote: »
    So have we established if the JML dry buddi or a normal dehumidifier is more effective?

And how much does the JML dry buddi cost to run?

I can't see figures on running costs, but I am still concerned with the risk of dampness using this unit.
    See this video demo here.

Doesn't seem to be great for towels and jeans etc...but maybe people are looking for stuff to dry in an hour or two, personally I'd be happy with a longer but cheaper solution, 8 hour dry time would be fine with me...but like a slow cooker!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

Old thread but thought I would add what I learned:

Bought the JML driBuddi and been using it for roughly 6 months. I find it a lot cheaper than going once a week to the dry cleaners. You do need to buy some plastic hangers from Tesco, €3 gets you five. I got two packs.
    • Every hr of use is roughly .20c, small clothes dry quickest aprox 2-3hrs.
    • Heavier stuff like hoodies take up to 5hrs and at least two hangers to support one.
    • Towels take are up to 5+hrs depending on how heavy they are but need 3 hangers to support their weight.
    • I like to open a window near while using because it does make the room damp and can cause mold if not careful.
    • Its also best to get them out after they are finished as quick as possible or they absorb the excess moisture inside the driBuddi.

Saved me a lot of money in the long run and is great for the winter in a small apartment cause it doubles as a heater. Which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Destinarian

My mum bought one of these and said it was great; she had it set up in a very roomy kitchen extended into a conservatory with a high ceiling and we the audience knew no different so when life threw us a curve ball my father was looking to be shot of it as we'd nowhere to put it - it's quite noisy.
    So muggins here decluttered my fathers house by one item, said airdryer and made a startling discovery - it needs the air in the room to be warm so if your room is cold or damp, well cold and damp air never dried anything.
    I thought the idea of it was to save money but in this climate it needs warmth €€€ to work and besides the cost of heating the room it's actually quite noisy (as already mentioned). It would be great though in a warm room with no air circulation.

Advertisement