Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmore road road closures

Options
  • 30-03-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭

Seems Irish waters bandwagon is rolling into town and for a glorious 14 weeks from April 3rd they have decided to have road closures on a main thoroughfare into the city from the park to the ardkeen roundabout

https://www.mapalerter.com/a?a=4043

get up real early folks cause everyones gonna be doing the same as you

Shin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Williamstown road/Grange for the win traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Read the link seems to be the same sort of work that was goin on over on upper grange road/passage rd this past number of wks.....doesnt actually say road closure though but 'traffic management' could be a way of disguising it....you couldn't put anything past Irish water.......the 'protesters' will be out in force I would imagine.......14wks of long commutes ahead for all residents of Dunmore rd is the long and short of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭bookworms

Could it not be done during the summer months when there would be less traffic on the road? Not looking forward to this! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

shinzon wrote: »
    Seems Irish waters bandwagon is rolling into town and for a glorious 14 weeks from April 3rd they have decided to have road closures on a main thoroughfare into the city from the park to the ardkeen roundabout.
    https://www.mapalerter.com/a?a=4043

Shin

This will probably extended to 40 weeks with some disruption!
    Oh the joys of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It will be a big relief for the City Council to get this road back to it's proper status again; a pock-marked, rutted, axle breaker. Any chance could Martin Cullen organise another EU meeting in Dunmore East when this is over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

Deise Vu wrote: »
    It will be a big relief for the City Council to get this road back to it's proper status again; a pock-marked, rutted, axle breaker. Any chance could Martin Cullen organise another EU meeting in Dunmore East when this is over?

Well the state they left johns hill in after they left I wouldn't be banking on that ;)

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Should be noted that they are replacing old and leaking water mains, its kind of important. To do that the road needs to be dug up. And it s the Dunmore road, there is never a good time to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

While there at it they should replace the old lights and bury the overhead wires it would tidy up the whole route from the Park rd to UHW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Shane07 wrote: »
    While there at it they should replace the old lights and bury the overhead wires it would tidy up the whole route from the Park rd to UHW.

You clearly don't understand how this works. That will only happen after they resurface the road in ten years time when the Pope / Enda / One Direction are visiting Dunmore East for a day.

They could have done the water mains when UPC were digging up the road for fibre or before they resurfaced the road in case an EU minister would hit a pot-hole in 2006. You have got to cause maximum inconvenience and maximise costs or people would think planning was easy.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    You clearly don't understand how this works. That will only happen after they resurface the road in ten years time when the Pope / Enda / One Direction are visiting Dunmore East for a day.

They could have done the water mains when UPC were digging up the road for fibre or before they resurfaced the road in case an EU minister would hit a pot-hole in 2006. You have got to cause maximum inconvenience and maximise costs or people would think planning was easy.

They should probably look at CPO'ing a strip of land ie front gardens etc to allow for a dual carriage way the whole way from the pk to the hospital....property prices still depressed so a good time to carry it out. Would put an end to the morning congestion and with a dual carriageway it would make projects such as water main replacement and drainage much easier to carry out.

• Advertisement

Well the state they left johns hill in after they left I wouldn't be banking on that ;)

Shin

John's hill? Passed through there recently and didn't notice too much wrong with it from a lay persons perspective.....are you in that field of wk as in rd engineer?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    John's hill? Passed through there recently and didn't notice too much wrong with it from a lay persons perspective.....are you in that field of wk as in rd engineer?

A friend of mine took some pictures of the new meter boxes and all that's their is gravel around them etc when he brought it up with the foreman he said point blank they weren't going to fix it

Shin

Contractor and council would be leaving themselves wide open for public liability claims if footpath finish nothing more than gravel. Must have a closer look the next time I'm up that way

Contractor and council would be leaving themselves wide open for public liability claims if footpath finish nothing more than gravel. Must have a closer look the next time I'm up that way

Just some of the pics he sent me

gravel_zpsr5pixki8.jpg

path_zpskxe2jelu.jpg

Shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just some of the pics he sent me

path_zpskxe2jelu.jpg

Shin

You know thats not gravel right? Its tarmac
    Still not great finish thats for sure, but gravel would be even worse

You see the stones going up the road in the first pic not really clear but there in the pic that better for the grammar Nazi below

:rolleyes:

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

You see the stones going up the road in the first pic not really clear but there their

Shin

There their, you're taking the pee right?

You see the stones going up the road in the first pic not really clear but there their

Shin

As I said already, I couldn't see a contractor being let away with leaving a footpath like those in the pictures you have uploaded, I'm sure the Council guys will be on to them to replace what you've show with concrete...........foreman your friend met was probably having a laugh with him? In any case time will tell I'll have a look next time I'm out the John's hill way with the dog and if I'm lucky I'll trip up injury myself and put in a claim and walk away with €10k at least :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Any ideas why the road was closed from newtown school to the hospital today around 1:30?

There were cops directing traffic right at the school and then Grange was one lane only so had to go out airport rd.

We were so lucky that we left early for our hospital appointment.

I walked up by John's hill a few weeks ago and it was much worse, at least the tarmac has levelled a bit now.

It must be up to the council to re do all those footpaths again, couln't leave it like that, the buggy kept getting shunted out onto the road.

So getting back to the OP.....can anybody comment on what the traffic delays were like yesterday on Dunmore rd....I wasn't out that way yesterday but will be this coming week

• Advertisement

So getting back to the OP.....can anybody comment on what the traffic delays were like yesterday on Dunmore rd....I wasn't out that way yesterday but will be this coming week

Just seemed to be the usual heavy Dunmore road traffic, theres nothing I could see roadworks wise on the Dunmore road part of the stretch I didn't get down to the park to see whats happening on the park road so cant comment on that bit

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

your best bet is goin out on the outer ring road and getting to the hospital that way, why people panic about road works when there is other ways they can go to avoid it, i drive for a living and come across road works every where and i always think quick and avoid em, stop being sheep and go a different direction and then come on here bitching and moaning about roadworks

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

One way only through Passage road roundabout with Passage Rd blocked. It was BRUTAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

You see the stones going up the road in the first pic not really clear but there in the pic that better for the grammar Nazi below

:rolleyes:

Shin

Someone doesn't know tarmac = tar + gravel:D

But seriously that''s f$cking shocking! As if IW weren't creating enough controversy.

Eddie mulligan had words with Irish water about the delays this was there response

A Fianna Fail councillor says he's had lengthy discussions with Irish Water in order to minimise traffic disruption on the Dunmore Road. The utility is carrying out works in the area for the next 12 weeks or so and they've already caused delays. Fianna Fail's Eddie Mulligan says the delays should have eased by the time schools are back Monday However director of services Fergus Galvin says the works are inevitable and even with management in place, patience is required

http://www.wlrfm.com/news-single.php?cat=1&id=28553

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I don't think that it is patience that is required, it is more like proper planning is required by Irish water and the Waterford council!

Do it at weekends or when the school holidays are on!

How did the council grant permission for this without thinking that it was going to cause major delays during the school term?
    Is every councillor oblivious to the fact that this is one of it not the busiest road in the city in the mornings and evenings?

reni10 wrote: »
    I don't think that it is patience that is required, it is more like proper planning is required by Irish water and the Waterford council!

Do it at weekends or when the school holidays are on!

How did the council grant permission for this without thinking that it was going to cause major delays during the school term?
    Is every councillor oblivious to the fact that this is one of it not the busiest road in the city in the mornings and evenings?

Did they ever hear of 'night shifts'.......Monday am with all the schools back will be chaotic I would think, outer ring road for everyone living the Dunmore side of the hospital roundabout???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

Did they ever hear of 'night shifts'.......Monday am with all the schools back will be chaotic I would think, outer ring road for everyone living the Dunmore side of the hospital roundabout???

Night shifts would probably inconvenience the residents in terms of noise etc. late at night so that might not be an option here but surely putting it off by a couple of months until the School Holidays would have been a very EASY option to take!?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

reni10 wrote: »
    Night shifts would probably inconvenience the residents in terms of noise etc. late at night so that might not be an option here but surely putting it off by a couple of months until the School Holidays would have been a very EASY option to take!?!

Then the complaint would be about it being done during the busy summer period, impacting tourism and people trying to get out and support local hotels, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Sully wrote: »
    Then the complaint would be about it being done during the busy summer period, impacting tourism and people trying to get out and support local hotels, etc.

No, that wouldn't happen.

Advertisement