Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrybank Shopping Centre - The Poll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Its on the market for €225k
    http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/20m-shopping-centre-under-hammer-for-225000-29334553.html

Waterford council should buy it and then stick a big Waterford flag on it and annex the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Open it up with a number of high profile retail units.
    Thats a different development close to Abbeygate. Another celtic tiger mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Thats a different development close to Abbeygate. Another celtic tiger mess.

Another planning mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Its on the market for €225k
    http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/20m-shopping-centre-under-hammer-for-225000-29334553.html

Waterford council should buy it and then stick a big Waterford flag on it and annex the land.
    SOLD for €250k last week
    bought by Evel Knevell I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Open it, but not as retail, something else entirely (specify if possible)
    Great to see it sold... Hopefully it will be opened up or used for some purpose soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

wellboytoo wrote: »
    SOLD for €250k last week
    bought by Evel Knevell I would imagine

i think this is a different centre, the one nearer abbey park.

gowley wrote: »
    i think this is a different centre, the one nearer abbey park.

This IS the one close to Abbey park that was sold and I was referring to.

Two years since this thread started only change has been public money opening a library, I wonder how much more patience NAMA have with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Two years since this thread started only change has been public money opening a library, I wonder how much more patience NAMA have with this ?

Usual load of rumours about this place. B & Q, Dunnes(even after paying 20 million not to move in still persist)

The HSE it seems did have a good look at it for a primary care centre but backed off in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

thomasm wrote: »
    Usual load of rumours about this place. B & Q, Dunnes(even after paying 20 million not to move in still persist)

The HSE it seems did have a good look at it for a primary care centre but backed off in the end.

I heard the Dunnes one myself , its probably the same rumour that's doing the rounds apparently coming from Dunnes Employee that the entire project is still in the pipeline. I would not expect anything to come of it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

thomasm wrote: »

I was under the impression that the payment was due whether or not they moved in due to their deal with the developer, and the reason they were trying to avoid paying it was because the shopping centre was now controlled by NAMA.

Still, I'll believe they're moving in there when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Read something the other day about Dunnes laying off some staff due to the though trading conditions. So that wouldn't encourage much hope for Ferrybank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Gardner

if you were to buy this place how much would it cost ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Gardner wrote: »
    if you were to buy this place how much would it cost ya :)

Ill let it go to ya for 200 boss and thats only coz i knows ya........now give me my money quick iv another stupid project to build :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Whatever the ground is worth. With the boundary extension, the various retail developments in the city centre, the general resurgences of the city centre, its complete financial unsutainability and the possible pedestrian bridge from Ferrybank I think its day are numbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

Featured on Rte Drivetime this evening. 3rd biggest shopping centre in Ireland.
    Ross Abbey centre got a mention also. Available on podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Plans for the expansion of city square on News and Star today according to WLR. If anyone has a picture could they post is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Should never have received planning in the first place. Parochial planning at its worst. However, I would not knock it. I would use it as a conference venue, to benefit the entire region.

Why? What's wrong with it, other than that it's standing empty?

katydid wrote: »
    Why? What's wrong with it, other than that it's standing empty?

It's too big in the wrong place and Dunnes paid €20 million not to go in there, has a footfall of about 10 per hour on a good day other than that not a thing.
    The only thing it doesn't do is bark.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i suspect if this place was open as intended, traffic would be a bit of a serious issue at peak times. area seems to be jammed at times.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i suspect if this place was open as intended, traffic would be a bit of a serious issue at peak times. area seems to be jammed at times.

Fair point

It's too big in the wrong place and Diunnes paid €20 million not to go in there, has a footfall of about 10 per hour on a good day other than that not a thing.
    The only thing it doesn't do is bark.
    Of course it has a low footfall...there's nothing there bar a library!:)

Probably the only reason NAMA hadn't made a hard decision on this to date.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dunnes-is-blasted-by-high-court-in-store-case-34234580.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Very interesting, every trick in the book comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

It looks to me like Dunnes said "If we open in this store we will make no money, lets fight it in the court, it will be cheaper."

Really bad decision to build the place.

Really bad decision to build the place

its up now though so lets do something with it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭JourneyMan8

exactly, think of the amount of jobs the place will create.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Don't be silly, if we where positive like that we wouldn't be able to sit around bitch about how KK only built it for the rates and that Waterford CC would never do anything like that.......

robtri wrote: »
    Don't be silly, if we where positive like that we wouldn't be able to sit around bitch about how KK only built it for the rates and that Waterford CC would never do anything like that.......

stupid kilkenny!
    back on track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

robtri wrote: »

Well it's a glaring example of a KK county council cluster****.. It only got through the planning process because the county council manipulated the Local Area Plan. If the thing was viable it would be open and all the bitching in the world would not stop it. The fact that its not tells its own story.

Advertisement