Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell - Feb 7th to 13th 2021 - Technical Discussion

Options

Comments

TTLF wrote: »
    In fairness, the BBC goes off the latest ECM run, so it's not really worth the time when the ECM moves and shifts a lot.

They don't
    They get their forecast material from meteogroup who also provide the analysis
    Its often one run behind

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

AuntySnow wrote: »
    They don't
    Its often one run behind

ah, alright. My thinking about it was that "huge fail" where it was showing those mild south westerlies when it was an outlier ECM run, but that would make more sense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Supercell wrote: »
    That may be so GL, and I definitely value your input, but long experience here is that these charts spell sleety rain at best in my back garden! (coastal Wicklow/Dublin), would love for that to be wrong though.

Ah, that's different, east coast, all bets are off in that strong southeasterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

TTLF wrote: »
    In fairness, the BBC goes off the latest ECM run, so it's not really worth the time when the ECM moves and shifts a lot.

The BBC used to be supplied by the UKMO who use the ECM. However, around three years ago, the BBC struck up a contract with Meteogroup for their forecasts.

The UKMO are now just an online presence themselves, don't think they feed any UK TV station with forecasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Winds do turn briefly more NE overnight tonight, maybe some ninja snow for Dublin and Wicklow tomorrow morning. Some areas might get some streamer action and do well, lets see.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

Looking good for snow Thursday in Cork County inland, or am I wrong?

Massive downgrade in the ECM and GEM overnight, with the snow breaking up half way up the country. They have more focus on an pre-frontal snow band overnight Friday night into Saturday.

The GFS is still full gung-ho and the ICON is somewhere in between.

There were GFS indications yesterday that maybe that frontal dynamics would be breaking up the precip as it crosses the country, the 00Z has backtracked on that a little and shows the front still active at 9 pm on Thursday (negative Q-vector div. values below). The other models may be showing that breaking up, but this parameter is not available for them as it is for the GFS.

Still a lot of variability for now, so it's anybody's guess what will happen. The ICON is probably the most likely.

http://www1.wetter3.de/Archiv/GFS/2021021200_11.gif

2021021200_11.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looking good for snow Thursday in Cork County inland, or am I wrong?

We’re definitely in with a shout. Tomorrow evening we should have a better idea either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Unfortunately, 6z so far (out to Saturday afternoon) gives broad support to the Atlantic breaking through after the snow event on Thursday.

For Thursday into Friday morning, I think the snow will be marginal for those close to the south and east coast, and for those in Munster (apart from Tipperary and north Cork), I don't think there will be much lying snow as the south-easterly veering southerly winds will kick.

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20210209/06/102/h500slp.png

That is if the 6z verifies, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

AuntySnow wrote: »
    They don't
    Its often one run behind

They do BB for their extended. It was funny a week ago when they used that single ECM outlier showing a long fetched mild southwesterly airflow for 10 February. That worked out for them...

• Advertisement

Despite everything, actual 12 and 24-hour precipitation totals have been negligible in Ireland and the UK. Some parts of northern England have 10 cm of snow cover and yet registered near 0 mm of liquid equivalent in the past 24 hours!

542675.png

542676.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met Éireann update going for big accumulations for north and east up to Friday morning
    D9Male wrote: »
    Unfortunately, 6z so far (out to Saturday afternoon) gives broad support to the Atlantic breaking through after the snow event on Thursday.

For Thursday into Friday morning, I think the snow will be marginal for those close to the south and east coast, and for those in Munster (apart from Tipperary and north Cork), I don't think there will be much lying snow as the south-easterly veering southerly winds will kick.

https://max.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20210209/06/102/h500slp.png

That is if the 6z verifies, of course.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    They do BB for their extended. It was funny a week ago when they used that single ECM outlier showing a long fetched mild southwesterly airflow for 10 February. That worked out for them...

Meteo must have had it in the script!
    The meteo analysis does feed them the options and it's often a run behind by the looks of things
    Thats not deliberate, it happens on RTE too,it's just timing and preparation with the deadlines of broadcast I think

• Registered Users Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some big enough changes locally on some models for the medium post Friday with the Atlantic getting through. Thursday and Friday themselves still look OK for decent amounts of snow in the Eastern half of the country in particular but also north Connaught and parts of Ulster.

I'll wait until this evening to verify this is now conclusive in terms of milder air gradually making it's way right across the country by Saturday. Certainly looks that way.

Light to moderate snow here atm. 0c.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Despite everything, actual 12 and 24-hour precipitation totals have been negligible in Ireland and the UK. Some parts of northern England have 10 cm of snow cover and yet registered near 0 mm of liquid equivalent in the past 24 hours!

542675.png

542676.png

My brother in South East London (just about Kent) is annoying me with pretty impressive snow / falling snow photos this morning

Met reann update going for big accumulations for north and east up to Friday morning

They don't say big. Or even significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

So no need to stock up on the aul Bread then...ha ha ha

Accumulations leading to hazardous conditions pretty much suggests big to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

When they all form a consensus at this stage, it's unlikely they will flip back. The fact there is no scatter in the ensembles is a bad sign. I was kind of expecting these downgrades, it just sort of fits how this winter has gone so far. Still hopefully some places will get a decent snowfall before the milder air wins out.

Accumulations leading to hazardous conditions pretty much suggests big to be fair

I mean you clearly read what you want to read.

You don't need a big accumulation to lead to hazardous conditions.

They also say sleet, which is what I think will be seen on most of the coastal parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

They also say sleet, which is what I think will be seen on most of the coastal parts of the country.

In fairness, 5cm is significant at this stage. Fact is heavy snow is probably as likely as heavy sleet at this stage so both point of views are equally valid.

Its just semantics really
    They just don't know
    I don't either

Absolutely, I have an expectation (based on the models and the Met Office update) that inland areas will see decent accumulations of snow.

Unfortunately though, I think a lot of populated areas near the coast are going to see a lot of sleet and a wintry mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Danno wrote: »

The UKMO are now just an online presence themselves, don't think they feed any UK TV station with forecasts?

I think Channel 5 do

Let’s agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

I knew last night's models were over doing the precipitation for Thursday. While today's models are much in line with the outcome for Thursday. Nothing significant nor a memorable event. 5-10cm in places north of Mayo to Wicklow line.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Massive downgrade in the ECM and GEM overnight, with the snow breaking up half way up the country. They have more focus on an pre-frontal snow band overnight Friday night into Saturday.

The GFS is still full gung-ho and the ICON is somewhere in between.

There were GFS indications yesterday that maybe that frontal dynamics would be breaking up the precip as it crosses the country, the 00Z has backtracked on that a little and shows the front still active at 9 pm on Thursday (negative Q-vector div. values below). The other models may be showing that breaking up, but this parameter is not available for them as it is for the GFS.

Still a lot of variability for now, so it's anybody's guess what will happen. The ICON is probably the most likely.

http://www1.wetter3.de/Archiv/GFS/2021021200_11.gif

2021021200_11.gif

I like the way you use Massive for the negative. Good :p:)to keep a healthy somber mood. :)

I can see us having more accumulation depths tonight from showers in the midlands than from that measly front approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’m not surprised that Met Eireann are only going for up to 5cm of snowfall on Thursday. The downgrades have been very substantial overnight.

• Advertisement

pad199207 wrote: »
    I’m not surprised that Met Eireann are only going for up to 5cm of snowfall on Thursday. The downgrades have been very substantial overnight.

Yes. The high pressure will act like a parasite on the front just sucking the like out of it

Advertisement