Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passed level 2 yesterday :)

Options
  • 17-09-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

I did my assessment yesterday for Level 2. It was great fun I have to say and the lads just dropped me in it, which I prefer. We were just heading out for a paddle but there was an extra guy there, turned out he was the examiner!

So we got on in Lucan and warmed up a bit then headed down the weir, I didn't capsize at the bottom this time as I'm getting the edge control a bit better. Heading on down I performed the forward paddle which went well, then the reverse stroke which was ok but I got caught in the flow a little. The examiner said not to worry as we were on moving water and assessments are normally done on flat water. So I was happy with that. We hit mild rapids then just before shakletons weir which I ran, and believe it or not broke into the eddy at the end perfectly..delighted with that as it's a level three requirement. In fairness to my instructor he's been pushing me well over the past 6 weeks and said I was a very strong beginner.
    I broke out of the eddy well also, lifting a nice left edge and took the flow on down the river, another nice one:D

We pulled over a bit and I did some low brace turns and sweep stroke combo's which went well, no capsizing here either. I capsized a few times in practice on the low brace turn the other night so I was happy with that as I got the edge up well on it, did some low bracing as well and got some water up on the deck, I'm starting to understand hip flick now. On we went down towards Wrens nest and I did some draw stroke drills, which are a pig to do in moving water but he was happy enough with that. Into some nice calm water and we did some theory, all safety related, which went well.

The lads went down wrens on river right, I opted for left :o but the oncoming flow from the right caught my edge and over I went, I kissed a few rocks there but the lads were there pretty quick for a t-rescue. I popped into the eddy as they played on the stopper for a bit.

We headed back to the club where on the way I performed the X rescue, both getting one of the lads back in the boat and then getting myself into the boat. I was then told I did very well and passed the assessment.

It was a great days paddling too. Thanks for reading. Level 3 here I come :cool::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Congratulations Yomchi! You should be extra proud that you did your level two on moving water, as well as alot of skills required for the level three. You will have the level three in no time.

I think they should award extra points for people brave enough to paddle the sniffy liffey :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Truley wrote: »
    Congratulations Yomchi! You should be extra proud that you did your level two on moving water, as well as alot of skills required for the level three. You will have the level three in no time.

I think they should award extra points for people brave enough to paddle the sniffy liffey :P

lol tell me about it, my sinus's are jammed today!

Thanks mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Now now lets not go blaming the liffey on getting sinus problems! :P If you are doing something that involves getting a lot of water up your nose then a nose plug is a wise investment :)

Now now lets not go blaming the liffey on getting sinus problems! :P If you are doing something that involves getting a lot of water up your nose then a nose plug is a wise investment :)

I have one believe it or not, I just got cocky thinking my capsize days were over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Ahah, good attitude. Carry on so. Nose plugs are only for when you are pretty sure you are gonna capsize(practicing roll / eskimo rescue / playboating). Putting them on on the top of rapids and stuff is admitting defeat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Ahah, good attitude. Carry on so. Nose plugs are only for when you are pretty sure you are gonna capsize(practicing roll / eskimo rescue / playboating). Putting them on on the top of rapids and stuff is admitting defeat!

Or tempting fate as the case may be :P

Thought I'd float this one again, passed L4 on Sunday in Wicklow.
    Laughing now looking back at the comment about capsizing on the bottom of the weir, how time flies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

yomchi wrote: »
    Thought I'd float this one again, passed L4 on Sunday in Wicklow.
    Laughing now looking back at the comment about capsizing on the bottom of the weir, how time flies :)

Fair play!! I also passed my Level 4 in Wicklow on Sunday. What boat were you paddling? I was in a red Mamba

Chavways wrote: »
    Fair play!! I also passed my Level 4 in Wicklow on Sunday. What boat were you paddling? I was in a red Mamba

I saw a red mamba pass me at some stage, I was also in a mamba red and yellow. Were you in Dave Carroll's group? I was with Kim Siegerman and Jenny Kilbride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

yomchi wrote: »
    I saw a red mamba pass me at some stage, I was also in a mamba red and yellow. Were you in Dave Carroll's group? I was with Kim Siegerman and Jenny Kilbride.

Yeah I was with Dave.It was a great day.

• Advertisement

Chavways wrote: »
    Yeah I was with Dave.It was a great day.

Savage day, they threw the book at us. Unconscious rescues and X-rescues at little Jacksons :eek: Still was well worth it, and good to get done. Well done yourself ;)

Advertisement