Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UNCHARTED film adaptation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

He's a great actor and he has the charm to do this but I'm really struggling to get past the baby face.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    He's a great actor and he has the charm to do this but I'm really struggling to get past the baby face.

The Young Indiana Jones Nathan Drake Chronicles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sizzle real for the film was shown at cinema con last night so I’d say a trailer is close to release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I still chortle at how Wahlberg went from star to father-figure in this production, such was the length it took to happen.

Holland feels the wrong choice here, but I'm still interested to see the trailer; hopefully this will be more The Mummy and less The Jungle Cruise 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

We've had teasers of films and cams of films so how about a cam of a teaser? Not sure what film the teaser was attached to but we'll likely get the official version of the teaser tonight or tomorrow.

Will spoiler as the thumbnail shows a sequence people might just want to see when the film comes out.

I can buy Holland as an enhanced superhero. As Drake? Just not seeing it yet that 5foot7 Holland will be smashing the bad guys

imdb has him at 5'8", an inch taller than Tom Cruise who takes on loads of bad guys.

And that worked out so well as Reacher.

And, AFAIR, even Naughty Dog upped his height to reflect his activities

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's not the height I have a problem with; Holland just doesn't look like the kind of guy an obvious Indiana Jones offcut Nathan Drake is supposed to be. Holland looks too baby faced, too wide-eyed; which works fine with spider-man 'cos he's meant to be playing young. He doesn't look like the kind of guy who could handle himself, in a physicality sorta way though. I hate to say it, but Chris Pratt would be a better fit. Far from ideal - but better.

They should just have made it 10 years ago with Fillion

• Advertisement

Not being able to handle himself in a physicality sort of way? It's not just his face though, his whole build give that impression.

He might be great in the role but there will be a lot of male waif-fu type shenanigans goong on

Yeah you see him and he doesn't exactly scream action adventure star. This was meant to be about a young Drake yet the scenes are more from the later games. True they could just be borrowing setpieces to add more action to the story otherwise we would just be getting him running along rooftops

I somehow missed that YouTube link for the leaked footage... and yeah, it looks like crap. Holland is utterly miscast, even if this is meant to be a younger Drake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

When you can't see his face, or hear his voice, it looks almost passable.

That's not very often though. Wrong actor for Nate, wrong actor for Sully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I actually think Wahlberg as Sully is even worse than Holland as Drake. It's not just about the physical appearance - they can cast anyone they want on that front as far as I'm concerned. But the essence of the characters just seems completely off.

I have no problem with Holland's height or build but I agree with PB that he's just too baby faced and even in that clip he looks way too clean. Nathan Drake is meant to be rugged and Holland (as much as I like him) just isn't.

Why bother with a movie? The games are better than most movies themselves. 2 is one of the best games ever.

And that was Chloe in there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Who'd be a better Nathan Drake? (not counting Fillion as hes too old now)

The only one for me that kinda comes to mind is Sebastian Stan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,510 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If we're not worried about height, Richard Madden

Looks totally blah. And somehow that scene with the plane looks even less convincing than the version from the computer game (not to mention that it doesn't hold a candle to a similar scene from The Living Daylights, stunt-men hanging on to the back for dear life rather than floaty CGI)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks terrible to be honest.

I did get a giggle from the exclusively in cinemas tagline at the end when it looks like a straight to VOD film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I like Tom Holland but yeah, just the wrong person for the job. He just looks too young. And I know they are basically making an origin story but it needs to be someone in their early-mid 30's. Someone with a bit of mileage but still able to pick something up without groaning :) Nathan Fillion at the time of Firefly would have indeed been perfect but now he'd be good for Sully :)

Yeah, Sebastian Stan would be good.

Must admit I wasn't gone on that. Anyone who knows the games will know that they are very cinematic. The cut scenes could be lifted and shifted, the writing is that funny (Esp 2 for humour and 4 for action). But some things just don't translate well. While the bail-hopping works great in the game, it looks silly in the trailer. I mean, apart from the fact that it's Uncharted, it's fairly forgettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭Penn

John Krasinski as Nathan and Pierce Brosnan as Sully would have been my top casting.

I kept thinking Daisy Ridley was in this and was surprised not to see her in the trailer. Turned out it was some other film she was in with Holland earlier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,510 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Sully going for a Bond smart vibe then Marky W is wrong

Aw man, I really want that Krasiski/Brosnan version now! God damn you, Penn!

It all stinks like Chris Pratts casting of Mario; Tom Holland is a star name and probably polls well with young audiences members, so of course he gets the nod instead of someone more suitable.

Either way, the set pieces look godawful low effort stuff so that'll be what sinks this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why the **** doesn't Sully have a mustache.

He'll put a fake one on as a disguise or something and we'll see a moment of him looking in the mirror and stroking it in a "hey this looks good" way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Unsharted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭Penn

My main concern is that Wahlberg just seems like he's going to be another, older version of Drake, rather than Sully. Which makes sense considering I think he was originally supposed to be Drake when he signed on for the film when it was first conceived.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sully is more of a unique character than Drake, tbh - they needed a proper JK Simmons-like actor to play him (I say JK Simmons-like because I'm sure there are others who'd do just a good job, he's just a good reference point).

Also stands out that they didn't do a proper drop of the theme tune with the title reveal - it's a properly stirring theme, so a shame if they've dropped it. Have to make do with a boring twinkly piano version of it at the start of the trailer instead. BOOO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If it wasn't for the fact that Sully looks exactly like Thunderbolt Ross I'd have put William Hurt in the role.

I'm not sure which came first but I feel that Matthew McConaughey has already played Nathan Drake twice, in Sahara and Fools Gold. Look, it's going to be leave your brain at the door mulsh, we all know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is it me or is this rehashing the whole spiderman mentor deal?

In Homecoming Tony Stark was mentor or a father figure to Spidey. In Far From Home it was Mysterio (of sorts) and in the upcoming spiderman it looks like Dr Strange is doing that.

In this, you have Tom Holland playing a younger Nathan Drake who from the looks of it will be mentored etc by Sully (Wahlberg)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Saw the trailer in the cinema the other day and I initially missed where they mentioned that Sam gave him the ring.

So, there's the mid/post credits scene:

Focus on Nathan Drake as he is looking at some artifact or something.

Off Screen voice: Hey kid

Nathan looks up and turns around:

Nathan: Sam?

Nathan Fillion enters the room:

Sam: Miss me? Well, I aim to misbehave. (Or some other Firefly quote to please fanboys :) )

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

Been watching the second season of Locke & Key and if they wanted to go down the young Nathan Drake root, Connor Jessup would have been a much better choice imo.

They really should've given Mark the moustache and/or make him a bit grey. As it is now, it just looks like the games where you play as young and older Drake.

It really looks like this film is missing the Drake in the middle.

Wouldn't that be Wahlberg? Then missing the Father Jack Drake.

• Advertisement

Do we know the budget on this? Feels like a good bet for one of the bigger flops of the last 1-2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

He doesn't have 52 million Instagram followers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Just keep thinking miscasting

It's kinda at a point where if I see "Sony studios" on a flick I just assume it's a pile of flavourless gum at best.

Plus no need to see the movie as we've just seen a highlight reel of all the set pieces. FX still look crap, Holland still miscast as Drake. Or perfectly cast I guess, depending on how the box office plays.

Considering the number of times we would see leaking ships, people's feet going through or masts collapsing all due to their age, I don't think the boats would survive that mode of transport, especially when slammed against cliffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I know it sounds like beating an old drum at this stage, but every trailer is a reminder how poorly cast this movie is.

As a fan of the games, I just can't get on board with the two main actors.

And I don't buy into "but it's a young Nate Drake". He's young in age, but he's clearly landing himself in the same epic unprecedented discovery level, life-threatening stakes a much older Drake would find a few times in his life.

And if I'm not coming from the games, then why use the Uncharted IP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

There is not much IP left completely untapped bar anime or video game live action adaptations. Sony are shooting their shot here and hoping they have the new Indy franchise for when Harrison Ford is finally too old for that ****. I'm not mad about the trailers so far but it is at least a big budget 'new to cinemas' IP and for that reason I hope it at least does OK. If it fails, Sony will just reboot something from 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In fairness - at the end of the trailer he does have a tache

• Advertisement

There's an extended clip out there of the aircraft set piece and man, the FX look rough - especially the ragdoll at the end.

Advertisement