Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acoustic guitar maintenance

Options
  • 24-10-2020 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey guys, I have very recently bought a Martin electro acoustic guitar and as it is pretty expensive, I wanna get as much advice as possible to safeguard my investment.

An acoustic guitar generally should be stored between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius but as I'm in Ireland, that really isnt possible a lot of the time.

I would like to know what measures you guys take to take care of your guitars and what instruments if any you use to indicate change of temperature/humidity etc.

Cheers folks.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

The main thing is to avoid large, sudden temperature changes. If a guitar is sitting in a normal lived in Irish home, the temperature isn't going to vary massively, assuming some form of central heating.

If I were in your shoes, I'd keep it in on a stand, or in it's case if you're gigging a lot, wipe it down after use to remove any excess moisture, keep it away from radiators, and play it as often as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

agreed.

I have what my wife says is too many guitars

they either live on wall hangers or in cases and I have never looked as humidity as in Ireland it doesn't vary enough to be an issue.

Advertisement