Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Holiday VISA if you have family in Australia

Options
  • 07-04-2015 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a lot of close family in Australia who have being living there for over 20 years like my Dad's brother.

If I wanted to go over there and work do I still need the One Year Working Holiday VISA?

Also I was going to get it with USIT but have seeing noting but bad things after researching about them is it better to get your own VISA sorted without them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yep all non-citizens need a visa.

You can do it online on the Immigration website yourself it's easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

I thought I remember reading somewhere in the rules that an Australia Uncle/Aunt could sponsor a niece/nephew? Could be mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

I thought I remember reading somewhere in the rules that an Australia Uncle/Aunt could sponsor a niece/nephew? Could be mistaken.

Heard that too so that's why I was wondering but I think I have to be in the country on a VISA first before that can happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Heard that too so that's why I was wondering but I think I have to be in the country on a VISA first before that can happen?

I know of no such visa

Zambia wrote: »
    I know of no such visa

I mean I would have to be on a working holiday VISA over there in the first place and then I have the chance to be sponsored by my family.

• Advertisement

You are not mistaken if you were thinking the sponsorship is in the form of 10 extra points for a Temporary (Provisional) skilled visa in a designated area in which you need

a) A skill on the Skilled Occupation list
    b) a skills assessment
    c) achieve 50 points on your own
    d) Your relative must also live in a designated area

I mean I would have to be on a working holiday VISA over there in the first place and then I have the chance to be sponsored by my family.

I know of no visa they can sponsor you for.

What is the type of visa you are the honking of?

I know of no visa they can sponsor you for.

What is the type of visa you are the honking of?

I'm not sure that's why I was asking if their is one sorry if I didn't word it correctly.

Basically I'm going to get the one year working holiday VISA and then do 3 months regional work so I can get a second year. I'm hoping that their is some sort of VISA or something my family can do so that I don't have to go home after the second year ends.

I'm not sure that's why I was asking if their is one sorry if I didn't word it correctly.

Basically I'm going to get the one year working holiday VISA and then do 3 months regional work so I can get a second year. I'm hoping that their is some sort of VISA or something my family can do so that I don't have to go home after the second year ends.

Nope no such visa, sorry dude . Check the migration website to be sure

Nope no such visa, sorry dude . Check the migration website to be sure

So I just have to try get sponsored is it?

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You are not mistaken if you were thinking the sponsorship is in the form of 10 extra points for a Temporary (Provisional) skilled visa in a designated area in which you need

a) A skill on the Skilled Occupation list
    b) a skills assessment
    c) achieve 50 points on your own
    d) Your relative must also live in a designated area

Maybe it was immediate family then..father..brother.. Not sure.

My auntie, uncle and lots of cousins live over there over 20 years.

So I just have to try get sponsored is it?

You need to qualify for a visa in your own right, either as a skilled migrant independently or sponsored.

I think what Zambia is saying is your Aunt/Uncle or cousin can't sponsor you for just the craic there's no such visa, except for 10 points on a 489 visa having realtives is absolutely no advantage immigration wise.

I think you are maybe thinking of a 12 month holiday visa.

The only other option for immediate family is only if you are their last remaining relative on the planet you can join them on last remaining realtive visa, if not and you are over 18 you need to qualify in your own right.

I'm a citizen been here 10 years and I know for a fact that I can't sponsor my brother and his family for any visa other than a 12 month holiday visa.

Cheers lads so not looking good for me being able to stay there might have to re-asses going now.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The only other option for immediate family is only if you are their last remaining relative on the planet you can join them on last remaining realtive visa, if not and you are over 18 you need to qualify in your own right.

And I think that one was dumped as well.

So they have pretty much made it very hard to stay in Australia past your 1/2 year working VISA?

So they have pretty much made it very hard to stay in Australia past your 1/2 year working VISA?

Not really it was always very hard to stay.

Australia is probably one of the few countries that has a fairly large intake of immigrants down the skilled route. Ireland, America or the UK by comparison are much harder.

We don't have a labour shortage in Australia, we have a skills shortage in areas like IT, medicine etc.

Not really it was always very hard to stay.

Australia is probably one of the few countries that has a fairly large intake of immigrants down the skilled route. Ireland, America or the UK by comparison are much harder.

We don't have a labour shortage in Australia, we have a skills shortage in areas like IT, medicine etc.

I have a diploma in Graphic Design and work in it now. Hopefully their is a skill shortage in that when I'm there.

That's why it's called a working holiday visa because it's supposed to be a holiday i.e. you eventually go home. If want to stay you would need a migrant visa because you are migrating.

• Advertisement

No 115/835 visa is still current.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I have a diploma in Graphic Design and work in it now. Hopefully their is a skill shortage in that when I'm there.

Graphic Design is on the CSOL (Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List) but not the SOL (Skilled Occupations List).

[URL="hhttp://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx"]CSOL[/URL]

SOL

Looks like eligibility is only in ACT. But I'm not 100% on that.

You can use the CSOL to get sponsored by an employer on a 457 visa. Which is temporary and valid for a period of up to four years depending upon application requirements. To get a 457 you need a company to sponsor you and want to employ you.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Graphic Design is on the CSOL (Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List) but not the SOL (Skilled Occupations List).

[URL="hhttp://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/csol.aspx"]CSOL[/URL]

SOL

Looks like eligibility is only in ACT. But I'm not 100% on that.

You can use the CSOL to get sponsored by an employer on a 457 visa. Which is temporary and valid for a period of up to four years depending upon application requirements. To get a 457 you need a company to sponsor you and want to employ you.

Thanks very much for your help even if I can't stay it will be a great experience for me and my girlfriend.

What skill does your other half hold?

What skill does your other half hold?

She does film and documentary production.

My friend who is over in Australia the past 3 years is their on his girlfriends sponsorship now so I'm hoping my girlfriend could do the same if I get sponsored.

She does film and documentary production.

My friend who is over in Australia the past 3 years is their on his girlfriends sponsorship now so I'm hoping my girlfriend could do the same if I get sponsored.

Might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's still there. I've a friend, whose been on a BR for a 835 for ages. I don't think they process many cases per year

Not really. If you have skills that are in demand (and the list is very extensive) then its a straight forward process - although its by no means cheap, or quick and you must meet other requirements.

Mellor wrote: »
    It's still there. I've a friend, whose been on a BR for a 835 for ages. I don't think they process many cases per year

Not really. If you have skills that are in demand (and the list is very extensive) then its a straight forward process - although its by no means cheap, or quick and you must meet other requirements.

Well I have Graphic Design and my girlfriend has Film Production. Can you give us more detail on the price and other requirements if possible please.

Well I have Graphic Design and my girlfriend has Film Production. Can you give us more detail on the price and other requirements if possible please.

All this info is available online :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

457 employer sponsored (temp)
    186 employer nominated PR (187 regional employer nominated PR)
    189 independent PR
    190 state sponsored PR

Independent requires a occupation on the SOL
    The rest require a occupation from the CSOL. State sponsored requires a occupation on a state's migration list also.
    "Employer" visas require a job offer

Advertisement