Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved back to Ireland and questioning it!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CB19135

kilo6 wrote: »
    Well after spending 5 months in Ireland it only confirms our decision to emigrate to America 20 years ago. A point running through this thread seems to be the loss of family by being away. Well modern internet service makes communication easy that is if you are lucky enough to have it in rural Ireland where it is a joke. I and my irish friends speak fondly of the one or two telephone calls from ireland from said loving family a year. When questioned about this they say oh sure the cost of it and sure you were the ones that left.
    The oppurtunities that my wife and kids have availed themselves would never in a million years be available here in ireland. Im back tending to things now for a little while and cannot wait to get back to my home in the USA. I did look into maybe trying to settle back here and my god the roadblocks put in front of you is amazing. Try getting an irish driving licence for one. Makes me laugh these gombeen politicans acting like beggars trundling around the US looking for companies to setup in Ireland. Then when you arrive here. Interne non existent or unusable. Roads in ****e. Taxes out of control. Dole ques out the door on a tuesday by people too lazy to emigrate and get a decent life but then why should they when all you need do is put out your hand and beg.
    A overbloated civil service whos main job is to protect their cushy existence. Goverment departments run amuck with rules and regulations. Unions who protect their members regardless of what cost to the common good.
    Then we have the weather here pure ****e again. Ive met accountants here whos first advice to new clients is if you can emigrate.
    So yes i love America and thank god that we made the decision to leave 20 years ago. As they say over there Ireland a nice place to visit but by god you wouldnt want to live there.
    Another thing that riles my whiskers is from now till StPatricks day we will have to listen to gombeen politicians who have destroyed Ireland and ruined a whole generation of young people running around America blowing about how good it is here all paid by the Irish tax payer the poor ould sod.
    I am in rare form here this morning as i look out at the pissing down rain. I must ckeck my return ticket. iI generally am a cheerful guy but i need to get out of here before my head expoldes.

Im laughing at that ha ha... i feel the exact same. I dont want to feel like that but every single thing you said is true! I wasnt even gone that long... 6 years. You just see it so differently when you get back.

Middle Man wrote: »
    The system here is rotten - this country no longer serves its people - if it ever did that is. What we need is that get that right wing waste of space in Leinster House out - that's FF, FG & Lab. They put business interests first and the people can go to hell. What we also need is a second republic with a new constitution centered on social decencies.

1. Housing - Our property system is IMO a recreation of the landlord system run by cold hearted individuals - we need a new efficient delivery mechanism for housing administered by a central state body. We also need baseline price regulation where for example, the price of a basic 3 bed house is strictly regulated and subject to stringent standards and quotas. The market forces can kick in for properties beyond the basic specs - it should act as a benchmarking mechanism.

2. Health - Our health system seems corrupted by arrogant professionals who frequently screw up and get away with it (the taxpayer pays when they don't) - these individuals IMO should be rendered personally liable for any willful neglect of patients - I think that would change attitudes a bit. Paperwork also needs to be curtailed so that staff at hospitals are not excessively tied up. We still don't have a proper children's hospital.

3. Social Well Being
    - Politicians frequently boast about how well they're doing and relentlessly spiel off economic statistics. However, there's this Asian country called Bhutan where there is a performance indicator known as 'Gross National Happiness' - I seriously doubt that our politicians would do too well there! :rolleyes: I propose a similar indicator for this country: National Social Well Being Index (NSWI). I guess such a move would lead to a major reappraisal of policies in many areas - many of today's policies are greatly exacerbating the level of stress and anger in our society. The latest is of course the proposed withdrawal of bus services from rural areas on top of the closure of post offices and garda stations.

4. Freedom of Expression - A mature society should tolerate individual choice. No man or woman should be subject to negative comments on the street relating to their expression, appearance, gender, religion or orientation. Also, I think we should do away with fashion and fads and completely modernize retail practice by way of comprehensive product choice for people. TV programmes that dictate how people should act, think and present themselves should be banned on the grounds of freedom of expression.

5. Freedom of Movement
    - There needs to be an end to the relentless attack on the movement of people - of course, I'm referring to wide sweeping anti-car policies instead of proper planning and regulation of transport. Politicians here are so keen to get people out of their cars (autocracy I'd call that) and force them to cycle etc. Long promised rail projects are on the back burner yet again (Dublin still has no Metro) while many bus services are being pulled. Frequent and reliable transport services do attract a lot of people - look at the LUAS for example. Also, if we're to reduce CO2, then politicians need to get a lot smarter and start with the simpler things like discouraging the purchase of gas guzzlers, the provision of more park and ride facilities, changing of pricing structure to encourage more public transport usage during the day etc. Current transport policy in urban areas is nothing more than a hammer and six inch nail job - it won't work!

...need to go now

Then tv here alone would make you want to get out I'm not sure if it was always like this or more noticable when you've lived away. Documentaries on abuse, mother and baby homes, abortion, homelessness, the banking crisis, the recession, water charges, the hardship in rural ireland... but if you get bored with that sure you can always switch over to At home with the Healy Reas ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

CB19135 wrote: »
    Then tv here alone would make you want to get out I'm not sure if it was always like this or more noticable when you've lived away. Documentaries on abuse, mother and baby homes, abortion, homelessness, the banking crisis, the recession, water charges, the hardship in rural ireland... but if you get bored with that sure you can always switch over to At home with the Healy Reas ha ha

If it's TV you are travelling for then Oz is not the place to visit.

mikom wrote: »
    If it's TV you are travelling for then Oz is not the place to visit.

You dont need to watch it in Oz coz there is so much else to do ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I and my irish friends speak fondly of the one or two telephone calls from ireland from said loving family a year. When questioned about this they say oh sure the cost of it and sure you were the ones that left.
    So true - I think my mother called me 5 times in 20 years. The phone is a one way instrument with my family, but if you went a week without calling them you were the worst in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

You dont need to watch it in Oz coz there is so much else to do ha ha

That's so true! The only reason I watched TV in Oz was to catch the Premiership at stupid o'clock... Since I've been in NZ I haven't even bothered with a Sky box! I can watch all my football online now. But yeah, people back home tend to watch soooooo much TV compared to over here, but that's just down to the weather really I guess. Thats the one thing that I'd miss the most when I make the move I think- the outdoor lifestyle!

So has Ireland got anything going for it I wonder? It appears not after going through this thread!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Im laughing at that ha ha... i feel the exact same. I dont want to feel like that but every single thing you said is true! I wasnt even gone that long... 6 years. You just see it so differently when you get back.

I was already wound up about all of that shite when I left in '08. I don't think any of it has improved. I'm not sure if I have the patience for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

acb wrote: »
    As the title says...we moved home 4 weeks ago yday after being in Australia 2.5 years and while its great seeing everyone, I think Id rather have stayed. We were in Mornington , Melbourne and I loved it...husband didn't though. I had really settled , made great friends, knew the schools the kids would start next year etc

Back now and finding it grime here. Go for a walk and you have to keep watching out for Dog crap everywhere..really annoys me. I have a poo brush for the pram- how gross is that! Grown men discard litter without a second thought. It make me question why am I telling my 3 yo to put his rubbish in his pocket until he finds a bin.
    What strikes me is everywhere looks like it needs money spent on it. I guess thats the recession.
    Maybe its the time of year or me projecting my feelings, but people seem like they're having a hard tough life.
    Since we got back its a struggle. I don't do anything- stuck inside with the kids. In Oz I was always out. I dint think twice about heading out with the 2 kids for a walk someplace.

Probably should say what brought us back..well husband got 2 job offers in the same week, a job in Melbourne CBD and another one- a permanent job in Ireland so we came back. We left in the first place because of 'natural wastage', husband lost his job so we applied for skilled visa for Australia.

Its so hard to know, Sorry I know my post is a long whingy ramble.
    Im just feeling unsettled...people don't understand unless they've gone through it themselves.
    I spent 5 years in Australia, and loved the life there, when I got back to Ireland , I hated it , a lot had to do with being stuck indoors the whole time . I got quite down about the return.
    However when Summer came I realized what a great place Ireland is. The long evenings here are fantastic and there is a lot to do if you make an effort.

I have no regrets about returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

What part of America are you living in? Florida or Cali I hope

Well, I am guessing he is not in Massachusets:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

bladebrew wrote: »
    The insurance is so high because after 2 years your NCB is basically gone, those prices are with no NCB, your 5 years might be intact but they are not taken into account, this problem seems to be mentioned a lot as people move home after years away,

Any excuse to screw people is all they need.

Well after spending 5 months in Ireland it only confirms our decision to emigrate to America 20 years ago. A point running through this thread seems to be the loss of family by being away. Well modern internet service makes communication easy that is if you are lucky enough to have it in rural Ireland where it is a joke. I and my irish friends speak fondly of the one or two telephone calls from ireland from said loving family a year. When questioned about this they say oh sure the cost of it and sure you were the ones that left.
    The oppurtunities that my wife and kids have availed themselves would never in a million years be available here in ireland. Im back tending to things now for a little while and cannot wait to get back to my home in the USA. I did look into maybe trying to settle back here and my god the roadblocks put in front of you is amazing. Try getting an irish driving licence for one. Makes me laugh these gombeen politicans acting like beggars trundling around the US looking for companies to setup in Ireland. Then when you arrive here. Interne non existent or unusable. Roads in ****e. Taxes out of control. Dole ques out the door on a tuesday by people too lazy to emigrate and get a decent life but then why should they when all you need do is put out your hand and beg.
    A overbloated civil service whos main job is to protect their cushy existence. Goverment departments run amuck with rules and regulations. Unions who protect their members regardless of what cost to the common good.
    Then we have the weather here pure ****e again. Ive met accountants here whos first advice to new clients is if you can emigrate.
    So yes i love America and thank god that we made the decision to leave 20 years ago. As they say over there Ireland a nice place to visit but by god you wouldnt want to live there.
    Another thing that riles my whiskers is from now till StPatricks day we will have to listen to gombeen politicians who have destroyed Ireland and ruined a whole generation of young people running around America blowing about how good it is here all paid by the Irish tax payer the poor ould sod.
    I am in rare form here this morning as i look out at the pissing down rain. I must ckeck my return ticket. iI generally am a cheerful guy but i need to get out of here before my head expoldes.

I agree with a lot of what you say there, except the bolded part, its isnt necessarily easy or possible to up sticks for a number of reasons. Negative equity for one, lack of jobs is hardly the fault of the people that are unemployed, but I agree I wasnt happy to be in those ques with some of the sorts there. Reading this thread I wish Id jumped ship but I never realised it was going down the swany, at this point, Id nearly say Im too old hitting the 4-0 but without a degree, Im not sure Id have much more luck away than here.
    Always did think Id end up moving to the US, but in ways Im glad I didnt for the fearful things you hear about healthcare, but do consider Id prefer the lifestyle in those places than the Irish one, and of course theres the gombeen men and women and those that vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I spent 5 years in Australia, and loved the life there, when I got back to Ireland , I hated it , a lot had to do with being stuck indoors the whole time . I got quite down about the return.
    However when Summer came I realized what a great place Ireland is. The long evenings here are fantastic and there is a lot to do if you make an effort.

This I think will be me upon my return. After doing little trips or going for nature walks at weekends here in Australia, it has actually made me realise how much Ireland also has to offer...if you made the effort. Living there you're just not bothered and don't appreciate it but when I go back i'll definitely be hitting up some of irelands scenic places at the weekends, driving across ireland just for a day is childs play now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Often wonder if Ireland had better weather, would people take Australia over it?
    I also wonder what people in London or Manchester or Brighton's experiences are like? Is it the same as someone from Tralee, or Galway, or Sligo who is in Australia?
    I would also imagine that possibly Australia makes people appreciate the outdoors more? There is a lot to do outdoors in Ireland if you can get over the weather. Good waterproof clothing will sort that out.
    You could be surfing in the Atlantic every other weekend on empty beaches in a wetsuit if you wanted to. It might be cold and raining, but that's what a wetsuit is for, and a shark won't get you either!
    Pros and cons.....
    Was there a time in the recent past where the money was really good in Australia, but the cost of living increased in the meantime.
    I have relatives there in WA, who have done very well since they went over there 30+ years ago. I don't think they could have ended up with the same lifestyle if they had stayed in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's worthy of a pros and cons list.

Weather is a major con for Australia although a good summer in Ireland is heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Extreme weather conditions is a con though. I wonder too, how someone from Spain, or the South of France, or Italy would compare the two countries. Obviously, Aus would be economically a better choice right now for many Italians!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Just a wondering how in general in the Australian Economy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

6541 wrote: »
    Just a wondering how in general in the Australian Economy ?
    Can only speak for Western Australia, things are slowing down here. I read a few weeks that the amount of properties on the market had increased by over 40% in one year. Rents have dropped a lot too.

A lot of people leaving, was talking to a shipping company recently and they said they were as busy exporting peoples belongings as they had been importing them back when the mining boom was at full tilt between 08-12.

There's an Australian economy thread too.

Undertow wrote: »
    That's so true! The only reason I watched TV in Oz was to catch the Premiership at stupid o'clock... Since I've been in NZ I haven't even bothered with a Sky box! I can watch all my football online now. But yeah, people back home tend to watch soooooo much TV compared to over here, but that's just down to the weather really I guess. Thats the one thing that I'd miss the most when I make the move I think- the outdoor lifestyle!

So has Ireland got anything going for it I wonder? It appears not after going through this thread!! :D

I actually dont mean to be negative i moved home 6 months ago full of positivity! Penneys!

Undertow wrote: »

I actually dont mean to be negative i moved home 6 months ago full of positivity! Was just going to make a lis.of positives and all i could think of was Penneys! Ha ha this is not good. I really want to make it work here... guess ill have to stop watching tv and go to penneys more ha ha

I hope that happens me!

cerastes wrote: »
    Any excuse to screw people is all they need.

I agree with a lot of what you say there, except the bolded part, its isnt necessarily easy or possible to up sticks for a number of reasons. Negative equity for one, lack of jobs is hardly the fault of the people that are unemployed, but I agree I wasnt happy to be in those ques with some of the sorts there. Reading this thread I wish Id jumped ship but I never realised it was going down the swany, at this point, Id nearly say Im too old hitting the 4-0 but without a degree, Im not sure Id have much more luck away than here.
    Always did think Id end up moving to the US, but in ways Im glad I didnt for the fearful things you hear about healthcare, but do consider Id prefer the lifestyle in those places than the Irish one, and of course theres the gombeen men and women and those that vote for them.

Its much easier to get out of negative equity when you move to a country where the government dont take every last penny from you and you can actually save... thats for sure

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    Can only speak for Western Australia, things are slowing down here. I read a few weeks that the amount of properties on the market had increased by over 40% in one year. Rents have dropped a lot too.

A lot of people leaving, was talking to a shipping company recently and they said they were as busy exporting peoples belongings as they had been importing them back when the mining boom was at full tilt between 08-12.

There's an Australian economy thread too.

East Coast is much better to live. Perth is so boring, isolated and over priced.(in my opinion) I spent a year in Sydney, 3 years in Melbourne and 2 years in perth!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭acb

Really hoping this is the case!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

New television series called The Returners - based on six people who return to Ireland this year from far flung places. Do you know of an Irish person that is contemplating returning home.? The program will mentor them, fix problems, find a job...

Just got sent through this on Linkedin.

Not sure if it would appeal to anyone but might be of interest to people considering going home soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheNewSmoo

Moved back to Ireland 2 years ago from having lived in Oz for 5 years and can honestly say it has been a big fat mistake. Talk about reverse culture shock! The thing is I needed to get it out of my system. I didn't want to harbour any regrets or wonder should I have come back to Ireland. I've done it now and I can clearly see that there is very little I am missing. I'm heading back to Oz in a few months time with a new found appreciation.
    For a start I cannot get reused to lousy Irish weather for a start. Being stuck indoors during winter has felt like a jail sentence. Also, The fantasy of being surrounded by old friends and family is an illusion. People get bogged down in their own struggles of living in Ireland. I'd rather have a few weeks of quality time a year in Ireland than 12 months of drudgery. When you add in the high taxes, cost of living and lack of career opportunities then options and quality of life in Ireland diminish.
    So it's back to Oz I go with no regrets. At least I can say I gave it another go.

TheNewSmoo wrote: »
    Moved back to Ireland 2 years ago from having lived in Oz for 5 years and can honestly say it has been a big fat mistake. Talk about reverse culture shock! The thing is I needed to get it out of my system. I didn't want to harbour any regrets or wonder should I have come back to Ireland. I've done it now and I can clearly see that there is very little I am missing. I'm heading back to Oz in a few months time with a new found appreciation.
    For a start I cannot get reused to lousy Irish weather for a start. Being stuck indoors during winter has felt like a jail sentence. Also, The fantasy of being surrounded by old friends and family is an illusion. People get bogged down in their own struggles of living in Ireland. I'd rather have a few weeks of quality time a year in Ireland than 12 months of drudgery. When you add in the high taxes, cost of living and lack of career opportunities then options and quality of life in Ireland diminish.
    So it's back to Oz I go with no regrets. At least I can say I gave it another go.

I could have written that! What city are you going back to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Dammit we need some positive stories here people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheNewSmoo

I could have written that! What city are you going back to?

Spent most of my time in Perth previously but looking to head to Melbourne this time. Perth was great for what it was but it's more sedate family orientated city whereas I'm not married. I think Melbourne has a more cultured and buzzy feel. That's the plan at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ireland is an awesome place to live.

I just prefer here.

In the end we all are living on easy street we are just looking for the house with the best view.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Noo wrote: »
    Dammit we need some positive stories here people!

Sometimes the truth hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Little Sunshine

Some good posts on this thread - i'm here 2.5 yrs - came on PR on my own - with no family or friends - no problem getting work but the issue is that a lot of people i have met along the way have either moved interstate, overseas (NZ or Canada) or back home to Irel. Feeling pretty lonely now & finding it difficult to make new friends -constantly feel when i meet someone , how long before they leave too. I'm single mid 30's - u would think that it would be easy to make friends but couples tend to b very clicky & families tend to socialise together which i understand. So where do i fit in?
    Considering relocating back to irel - have even seen some jobs which is kinda funny cause i was unemployed for a year before I left. I know my friends & family - especially my mam would be delighted if went back.
    Someone once said to me that the hardest decision you will make is not leaving Irel but deciding to go back!!!!!

Advertisement