Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved back to Ireland and questioning it!

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Some stuff is stupidly expensive, ok, most stuff, but there is also a lot of very cheap stuff. Most councils around the country put on really good free activities, concerts, movies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ningnongjohn

any good businesses for sale in your region guesthouses etc, would love to return and open a business in hospitality maybe.?
    many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

any good businesses for sale in your region guesthouses etc, would love to return and open a business in hospitality maybe.?
    many thanks

Define hospitality do you mean accommodation or food?

If its food there are a lot of potential sites in the growth corridors. Cafes coffee shops, restaurants etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

i have been following this thread for a while, its an interesting topic.

I lived in australia for 5 years both my children were born there, i went to college there etc we had a good few years there but my experience is that it is a great place to live but really expensive.

buying a house in melbourne is scandalous unless you want to live out in the sticks there is no coparison in ireland.

my wife went back to work after our first child was born after 6 weeks as that was the maternaty leave in 1993 we had to visit the salvation army to help with food during her maternaty leave, it may have changed since then, afterwards we paid all my salary for subsidised childcare for 2 children as a young family with kids i though it was tough.

i woud not knock Australia I do think it is a great place to live, and it is great for some, but we moved back to ireland in 1996 and have had plenty ups and downs, but its better on a lot of levels not perfect but ireland really is a good place to live on a range of quality of life issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BlueMagoo

I'm following this thread too as I'm in turmoil. I want to go home but there's no way in hell my husband will. His biggest argument will be job prospects in his field, and he's right. I can't argue with that. We've three children, all born here in Australia but it's family, not worldly goods, that I'm after - for myself and my children.
    For all DH is in to doing with his spare time (WOW) we could be living anywhere in the world. So that's killing me. I'm totally fine with him having his time but what I'm left with is not working for me anymore. Been here almost ten yrs now and never been as homesick.
    I've lots to ponder and this thread has been a huge help, came to me at the right time too. 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

BlueMagoo wrote: »
    I'm following this thread too as I'm in turmoil. I want to go home but there's no way in hell my husband will. His biggest argument will be job prospects in his field, and he's right. I can't argue with that. We've three children, all born here in Australia but it's family, not worldly goods, that I'm after - for myself and my children.
    For all DH is in to doing with his spare time (WOW) we could be living anywhere in the world. So that's killing me. I'm totally fine with him having his time but what I'm left with is not working for me anymore. Been here almost ten yrs now and never been as homesick.
    I've lots to ponder and this thread has been a huge help, came to me at the right time too. 😀

It's funny. Before moving to Oz I always thought I'd be homesick initially and then it would gradually subside over time. In fact I barely had any level of homesickness until 4 years in. It was like a sudden realisation that I was missing important milestones in family and friends lives plus passing away of grandparent etc.

It's a tough thing but reality is that it's what all 1st gen emigrants face. As i said in previous posts I have octogenarian neighbours from Italy/Greece that still sit out every evening and have melancholic chats in native tongue about "the old country"

Yeah, my granny died last year and I couldn't go home for the funeral as I was heavily pregnant at the time.
    The more life goes on here the more entrenched we will become and it scares me to think the same will happen when our parents are on their last legs.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to be like those oldies sitting on the porch reminiscing. I want to be home taking part, being in the lives of my family and take the bad with the good. That's life isn't it.
    All my kids were born here so they'll always have that if they want to travel later in life. I think after almost ten yrs here I'm never going to feel settled. I'm never going to meet people here to replace those I have at home. My DH is great but that's too big a void to fill for one person.
    It might not be that we go immediately but if we could make a plan to go in a few years that would do me. We could even afford a house back home, that's never going to happen here. And so we keep moving. And nothing ever feels like home.

Oh and as for the homesickness. I honestly had none, just the usual little pangs here and there but this is something different. Like it's time to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭john hanrahan

BlueMagoo wrote: »

in my previous post i should have said i dragged my wife kicking and screaming from Australia. I wanted to come home but my wife didn't but i convinced her eventually, we took out citizenship and gave ourselves a deadline of a 18 months in Ireland and if it didnt work out we would go back.

We are still here 18 years later, for me it wasnt that one place is better or worse, it was the feeling of being an imigrant, constantly trying to save enough to go home etc.
    I dont regret coming back, but it took my wife over a year to settle back.
    It is very difficult decision when one wants to stay and your partner wants to leave.

Yeah I really do not want to out Australia down, it is a great place and if I had family, even just a couple of relatives close by, I would feel better about staying.

My kids were born here, DH has citizenship and I'm eligible for it too.
    Just haven't got around to it yet.
    So we can always come back, but that would be so costly.
    I'd rather know for sure what we were doing and commit to that fully.

My sis and her partner were here for 5 yrs and they just left at the end of January to have their baby at hime (due now) and before they left I thought they were bonkers leaving. But as time goes on I can see they were right. There's no substitute for family, especially a supportive, involved one like ours.

Ah I don't know. I'm still working it all out.
    I feel a lot better for thrashing it out though.
    Yesterday my fingers were twitchy to book flights, today I'm a bit more chilled. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Maybe getting your citizenship might help your partner come around to the idea of giving Ireland a trial go in the future. It will show you're taking his preference for Australia seriously and hopefully he'll reciprocate allowing a return to family and friends for even a temporary period.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Blue Magoo I totally get you. We have not been here as long as you but, still with 3 kids, 2 of them settled in school and sounding "Aussie as" it is hard to express the feelings fully. We have nobody here. We have friends, yes, good friends, but, they are new friends and I don't want to ask them for too much. Not that there is much to ask, but, you know what I mean. My husbands family are very close, they are all together a lot, they just had Easter together at home, and to see the other grandchildren being doted on and getting all the time and attention really gets to me for some reason. It is like jealousy mixed with homesickness. I am rambling, but, I just wanted to say I understand where you are coming from.

Hi Chocolate fiend (love the name hehe)
    That's is isn't it. Watching them all at home enjoying life.
    Bl00dy Facebook. I hate it, and yet it's the easiest way to keep in touch.

Are you in Sydney yourself?
    We've moved up and down, from Byron to the Hunter then to Sydney, then back to Byron and then back to Sydney. We're hoping that's the last of the big moves.
    Being in a rental there will no doubt be more moves to come but for the sake of DS1 we want to stay in the same area. That's all we can offer by way of familiar faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭scouser82

niterain84 wrote: »
    Could you not just have got a partner visa with when you were in Australia with her? You dont need to be married to get it, you just need to show you are in a relationship together for at least 6 months.

What pub did you hear this in?

The above is not true. You need to live with each other for 12 months, unless you register the relationship in which case living together for 6 months can suffice. We did not live together so this option was never there.

Anyway, that really wasn't the point of my post. It was about the emotional anguish of being torn between 2 places at opposite ends of the earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

scouser82 wrote: »
    What pub did you hear this in?

The above is not true. You need to live with each other for 12 months, unless you register the relationship in which case living together for 6 months can suffice. We did not live together so this option was never there.

not 100% correct, do some research. don't want to drag this thread into another visa debate.

Advertisement