Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communal Lawn Mowing

Options
  • 12-08-2020 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all hoping for some advice. I'm a renter , there is no grass in front of our house - it's an estate of 5 houses and 3 have grass in front of them. There is also a side strip of grass in the courtyard. As we rent, we are in the unfortunate position of our neighbour being friends with our land lady and said neighbour uses this to garner leverage over us. She constantly accosts me when I'm on my own about the grass being 'communal' responsibility and tells the land lord we don't cut the grass. However if I was to put my sun chair on her patch of grass I'm sure she would kick me off pretty quickly. She also has a dog that barks constantly that I never say anything about. Is anybody in a similar position whereby their neighbour bullies them etc? And what to do about the grass - not really fair to have to cut grass you don't have - she herself has only done it once the whole 7 years we have lived here ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Weffer wrote: »
    Hi all hoping for some advice. I'm a renter , there is no grass in front of our house - it's an estate of 5 houses and 3 have grass in front of them. There is also a side strip of grass in the courtyard. As we rent, we are in the unfortunate position of our neighbour being friends with our land lady and said neighbour uses this to garner leverage over us. She constantly accosts me when I'm on my own about the grass being 'communal' responsibility and tells the land lord we don't cut the grass. However if I was to put my sun chair on her patch of grass I'm sure she would kick me off pretty quickly. She also has a dog that barks constantly that I never say anything about. Is anybody in a similar position whereby their neighbour bullies them etc? And what to do about the grass - not really fair to have to cut grass you don't have - she herself has only done it once the whole 7 years we have lived here ....

Ignore her .. simples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Tell her mind her own business if you've no grass yourself

Cut the grass in front of your own house. If you’ve none, cut nothing.

I’m sure someone will be along momentarily to tell you that appeasing neighbours is more valuable than diamonds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

Ugh what a dope. I'd just explain that you rent and are only responsible for the house you rent, not the communal grounds. Did your landlord provide you with a lawnmower? Is it in your contract?
    She can go running to her landlord friend all she wants... if the only problem you cause is not cutting grass that's not in front of your property, the landlord is blessed. It's prob the landlords responsibility anyway. In an apt rental situation, the landlord would pay the management fee for the upkeep and maintenance of the communal spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Landlord responsibility to cut grass, this woman sounds bats, just ignore her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

However if I was to put my sun chair on her patch of grass I'm sure she would kick me off pretty quickly.

This seems like the solution.

Cut the grass in front of her house and put out a chair.. The festival type with hole for a can, and have a few cans while listening to music.

Tell her the grass is communal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weffer

Loving all the replies, thanks everyone :) Yes the landlord told us when we moved in we had to cut the grass ans she bought a lawnmower with this crazy old woman who by the way never actually does the mowing. Another factor, we were told not to mow the lawn in the corner (which has the most grass) because the owner refused to pay any money for the lawn mower. So we were doing the grass, then the crazy old woman put mulch and plants down on her bit of lawn so we said right that's us out. She then replaced it back with grass, Then the people in the corner chucked the tennants out and moved in and they were cutting the grass with the neighbour beside them, who has now moved out, so she then decides to take it on herself to mow just her patch and the patch of the person that moved out - and then sees me, rolls her car window down and says, I don't know what to do about the grass, so and so has moved out, we'll just have to share it. (This was the first time she mowed a bit of grass in the 7 years we have lived here) Also the people in the corner who have the most grass were cutting it with their petrol mower - so her interferring has now messed everything up - it's crazy and infuriating. Also, why can't she get the homepwner of the tennants who moved out to come up and cut the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes the landlord told us when we moved in we had to cut the grass ans she bought a lawnmower with this crazy old woman who by the way never actually does the mowing.
    If you do it well, you'll be asked to do it again. If you're slow as hell, and do a crap job, I can't see you being asked to do it very regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbh I'd have to see a layout of what your talking about. I cut the grass across the road from my house a a bit down either direction . It's not even my land at all. Just makes the road and area look nice. Also cutting the grass takes your mind off **** and is better than sitting in front of the box.

What's renting got to do with it.... Your living there 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭sunshinew

Hmm I might have changed my mind on this from my earlier post. From what you've said in your update, I understand there is a communal lawnmower that's been bought? your landlord specifically said you need play your role in cutting the communal grass when you moved in, sharing responsibility between 5 houses. You've been living there 7 years and you also refer to the woman as elderly.
    I dunno, like how often would you need to do it to be neighbourly... once every couple of months? maybe change your mindset on the "annoying" request and instead think how nice it is that you are doing something that's good for the neighborhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kravmaga wrote: »
    Landlord responsibility to cut grass, this woman sounds bats, just ignore her.
    nope, not if lawn mower was provided, do you also think its the landlords responsibility to hoover the house?

Advertisement