Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting cabin to council

Options
  • 13-07-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Is there any point in reporting a cabin that was built without planning permission in a back garden for residential use? My understanding is that after receiving the objection, the council send a letter to the owner to get an explanation. If at that point the owner moved the bed out, they could just claim it is a home office and then move the bed back after the inspection.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Why would you do this?

Does it affect you at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

zac8 wrote: »
    Is there any point in reporting a cabin that was built without planning permission in a back garden for residential use? My understanding is that after receiving the objection, the council send a letter to the owner to get an explanation. If at that point the owner moved the bed out, they could just claim it is a home office and then move the bed back after the inspection.

Diick move unless it’s causing you any kind of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The neighbour next to my mother, has an cabin/office set up in his back garden...

He recently started a job where he works nights, so he moved a bed into it so he could sleep during the day while the kids are home and not be woken up...

Thankfully for him, my mother doesn't care because it has no affect on her

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Why would you do this?

Does it affect you at all?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I guess it really really depends on what issue it is causing you, I have had some nightmare neighbors so I can understand why something like this might be an option, what have they done to you?

• Advertisement

I’m looking to find out what the process is here and if the owner can get around it.

I’m not the one that has done anything wrong here so save the judgement posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

I’m looking to find out what the process is here and if the owner can get around it.

You should try talking to the owner first if you have a problem with it as the owner will likely be very upset and it will cause them a lot of hassle and money.

And how do you think your relationship with your neighbour for potentially the next 30 years will be impacted by this?

Worth considering before you make someone’s life miserable in the middle of a pandemic for no apparent reason.

Maybe someone is quarantined there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...or maybe someone is moving in their extended family 15 to a bedroom while hosting all-night raves in the cabin.
    We dont know.

Perhaps save the sanctimonious judgement.

Zulu wrote: »
    ...or maybe someone is moving in their extended family 15 to a bedroom while hosting all-night raves in the cabin.
    We dont know.

Perhaps save the sanctimonious judgement.

Nah, I don’t think I will. OP sounds like a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Any maybe people don't want to give you advice on how to screw over your neighbour, especially without knowing the background information.

Based on your response, it seems as though there is no reason, its not causing a problem and you may very well just have too much time on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Neighbours of ours had one with no PP . When they went to sell house they had to tear it down before sale was allowed go through. We had only just moved in around time it happened so not sure what they had been using it for but it didn't bother anyone so I don't think anyone complained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Yes

How does it affect you?. Can you quote the regulation banning a cabin or shed in a back garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

KiKi III wrote: »
    Nah, I don’t think I will. OP sounds like a pain in the arse.

Oh the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Would you not just see how it pannes out? It could just be that he uses it for a couple of hours a day quietly with no impact on anyone whatsoever and reporting was all for nothing.

Edit:just seen its for residential use. Different story so.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

How does it affect you?. Can you quote the regulation banning a cabin or shed in a back garden?

S.I. 600 of 2001 - https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Legislation/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad%2C8797%2Cen.pdf
    6. The structure shall not be used for
    human habitation or for the keeping of
    pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses,
    or for any other purpose other than a
    purpose incidental to the enjoyment of
    the house as such.

nelly17 wrote: »
    Would you not just see how it pannes out? It could just be that he uses it for a couple of hours a day quietly with no impact on anyone whatsoever and reporting was all for nothing.

It’s been there four years. Noise has got progressively worse each year. Maybe it’s significantly worse this year due to the lockdown and they’re having regular parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Mind your own business. That's someone's home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mod Note.

Let’s leave it at that now folks.
    No more posts telling the OP to live and let live or to mind their own business.

The question is whether the OP can report it.
    Yes they can to the local Planning Enforcement Section.

Let the council investigate and if all is above board then hunky dorey.

If not above board then an illegal activity has been captured and maybe it can be regularized through the planning system as other law abiding people do.

ThNk you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

It’s been there four years. Noise has got progressively worse each year. Maybe it’s significantly worse this year due to the lockdown and they’re having regular parties.

Is the problem the noisy parties rather than the cabin?
    If you were to succeed in having the beds removed from the cabin, would that solve the noisy parties issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

The OP is well within their rights to report an illegal residential development particularly if it causing them issues!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

C3PO wrote: »
    The OP is well within their rights to report an illegal residential development particularly if it causing them issues!

The question is not the legality, but the morality of reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

it would depend in my book - son and daughter who you'd know from having grown up there - leave it, rented out - on the phone ASAP

How moral is it to break the laws of the land? You can't choose which laws apply to you and which don't. They apply to everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

Páid wrote: »
    How moral is it to break the laws of the land? You can't choose which laws apply to you and which don't. They apply to everyone.

The laws are generally there to protect people. If no one is being harmed or negatively affected in anyway then what is the benefit of reporting them?

Its also illegal to use your phone while in the car (because it could lead to someone being injured) but if someone pulled into the side of an empty road to answer their phone without getting our or turning the engine off would you want to report them too?

Dylan94 wrote: »
    The laws are generally there to protect people. If no one is being harmed or negatively affected in anyway then what is the benefit of reporting them?

Its also illegal to use your phone while in the car (because it could lead to someone being injured) but if someone pulled into the side of an empty road to answer their phone without getting our or turning the engine off would you want to report them too?

It's illegal to hold a mobile phone while driving, not when you're stopped at the side of a road.

You don't get to choose which planning laws apply to you and which don't. The issue isn't reporting someone, the issue is an illegal residence.

OP is interested in reporting the cabin. As such, it's obviously causing some form of issue. If it had been brought it and OP never noticed, this thread wouldn't exist.

Report it if you like, OP, but absolutely do not talk to the neighbour if you are going to report it, as the reports are anonymous, but the neighbour will immediately know it's you who has reported them if you rock up to have a chat, and the Council arrive the next day.

For what it's worth, I have a shed/garden room in my back garden, and I sleep in it. Has no PP, and wouldn't get it if I tried for it. But it's been a godsend as it's a place to sleep during the day away from the noise of the house, and gives a bit of privacy. I think a couple of my neighbours have similar set ups, but no one talks about it.

If they were being rented out, it'd be very different, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Have you ever approached them directly about the noise? There's a decent booklet available here you could have a look at: http://www.flac.ie/assets/files/pdf/neighbour_disputes.pdf

My concern if it was me would be the risk of having neighbours who really don't care how much they annoy the people around them. The very fact you're having issues with noise would indicate they're not exactly the most thoughtful bunch. Take that a little further and you reporting their cabin to the council could have very negative consequences for your peace and perceived safety in your home.

As to the cabin do you have any reason to believe it's being used as a dwelling aside from believing there's a bed inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    The neighbour next to my mother, has an cabin/office set up in his back garden...

He recently started a job where he works nights, so he moved a bed into it so he could sleep during the day while the kids are home and not be woken up...

Thankfully for him, my mother doesn't care because it has no affect on her
    The neighbour next to your mother is sleeping in his shed during the day. It doesnt bother your mother but you want to report him...maybe the wife kicked him out.

• Advertisement

They’re certainly the type of people who don’t show any consideration for neighbours. But I wouldn’t be afraid of them either.

I’ve been in the cabin. He even thanked me for not reporting it. But then repays me by acting the tool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement