Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveyor

Options
  • 22-09-2015 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a property and would like more information on having a property surveyed; is this part of the normal sale process, or is it something the buyer would specifically request?

And what can you expect from a surveyor, are there dfferent levels of survey, and should you encounter unexpected problems after purchase, is the surveyor in any way liable?

Finally, where should you look for a surveyor, what memberships should he have, and approx. what figure can I expect to pay?

Thanks for any and all advice! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Adoolan85

Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a property and would like more information on having a property surveyed; is this part of the normal sale process, or is it something the buyer would specifically request?

And what can you expect from a surveyor, are there dfferent levels of survey, and should you encounter unexpected problems after purchase, is the surveyor in any way liable?

Finally, where should you look for a surveyor, what memberships should he have, and approx. what figure can I expect to pay?

Thanks for any and all advice! :)

I'm also looking for info on a property surveyor and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Mod note: Recommendations by pm only. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You can check on the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland website for a surveyor local to you (https://www.scsi.ie/).

The inspection will be visable, as non evasive works will not be allowed because you will not own the property at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Hi everyone,

Yes!! - Buyer requests. Some lenders won't release funds without seeing the report.

No!! T&C's have them covered.

Answered above & anywhere between €350-€600 depending on property size & other variables.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Thanks for the replies guys! If it is just a visible once over, is it worth the bother? I was hoping on some liability protection, that they could ensure that damage is not covered by nap plaster, foundations are good, electrical work and heating system, plumbing etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

A senior structural eng, arch or surveyor will spot things you won't spot. It's a visual survey, no more no less. I would recommend an independent review of the biggest investment you'll probably ever make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

As someone who is going through this process now, I would strongly recommend getting a good surveyor.

They can not do anything invasive to the property, but you would be surprised at what they can tell you really quickly. Problems with insulation, damp, floorboards or anything like that. Not only that, they can give you a rough estimate what work you would need to do and how much it would cost. It allows you to go into the biggest purchase of your life with as much information as possible.

We were recently looking at a house that we knew would need at least some work. The surveyor was able to tell us exactly what would be needed and roughly how much it would cost and even how long it should take. It was important information in our decision.

They cannot give you any guarantee but they can give you an educated guess and advice and then it's up to you if you what you do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Also looking for surveyor recommendation, south Dublin area. Thanks!

Advertisement