Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Missing Deeds

Options
  • 14-08-2020 8:35pm

No mortgage on the property. But, deeds cannot be found. What would be the next step, can a solicitor help?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Any solicitor with property experience could deal with this.
    Leaving open for general discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

My understanding is deeds no longer exists it all done via land registry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

When was the property built and was it built by a local authority?

When was the property built and was it built by a local authority?

Hi,

Built approx mid 19th century, was always a residence,/shop. Doubt it was ever owned by a local authority.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When did it last change ownership?

Reconstitution of title is possible and there are solicitors that are experienced in doing so.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    When did it last change ownership?

Reconstitution of title is possible and there are solicitors that are experienced in doing so.

Late 70s purchased by my father. I'll search for such, thanks.

Did your dad ever have a mortgage or do you know who was his solicitor when he bought it

Did your dad ever have a mortgage or do you know who was his solicitor when he bought it

Never had a mortgage (old school) had a loan at around 16% for a portion for a year.:)

Yes, we know his solicitor. My dad kept the deeds. Likely thrown out now. HSE looking for a copy of deeds as part of nursing home fair deal scheme.

you could try to get a copy of a Memorial of his Deed from the Registry of Deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It used be possible, and common enough, for a bank to act as a safe deposit, if you know who he banked with it might be worth asking - though good luck finding someone who has the faintest idea what you are talking about, and how to deal with it.

Might be easier to just get them re-issued. Our deeds went missing in a post office raid some 30 years ago, they were re-issued no problem but I also had to sign to say they had never turned up and if they did I would return them, recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If it’s for HSE and deeds are missing a Memorial of Deeds will suffice. My brother had the same issue when doing Fair Deal but land registration people sorted it out

you could try to get a copy of a Memorial of his Deed from the Registry of Deeds.
    looksee wrote: »
    It used be possible, and common enough, for a bank to act as a safe deposit, if you know who he banked with it might be worth asking - though good luck finding someone who has the faintest idea what you are talking about, and how to deal with it.

Might be easier to just get them re-issued. Our deeds went missing in a post office raid some 30 years ago, they were re-issued no problem but I also had to sign to say they had never turned up and if they did I would return them, recently.

Thanks very much. Will look into it.

eviltwin wrote: »
    If it’s for HSE and deeds are missing a Memorial of Deeds will suffice. My brother had the same issue when doing Fair Deal but land registration people sorted it out

Super, sorry, missed this post earlier.

Advertisement