Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can A tenant change a hob without telling landlord?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

recyclebin wrote: »
    Hard water will destroy any make of dishwasher or washing machine.

And try explaining to a tenant that they should run a HW cycle once a month in a washing machine. Even if you supply them with the HW kit- they simply won't run it- its too much trouble for them- and sure why should they- when the landlord is obliged to get them a new machine when they clog up the old one.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Hard water will destroy any make of dishwasher or washing machine.

Then you need to install a water softening system rather than destroying washing machines, dishwashers and kettles over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Long story short my sisters tenant complained twice about a problem with their hob. The hob was checked twice by an appliance repair guy and she was told both times it was working fine. The repair guy gave my sister his view that the impression he got was that the tenant wanted a new hob.

Today my sister gets a message to say the tenant had someone in and has replaced the hob without her consent or knowledge and is now looking for the cost of all. My sister asked me my advice but I am not sure. Any thoughts?

I'd look at it from your tenants point of view...okay obviously what they did wasn't the correct way to do things...but it did hasten a conclusion.

Ask your sister:
    Was the existing hob old? If so, she probably would eventually replace it anyhow...is the price on the new hob reasonable?
    Does she want hassle and holds her landlord principles and rules up high?

Remember the future shopping hassle and conflict hassle can be a pain in the b***, im a landlord and ive dealth with this sort of thing before...
    So what if the tenant wanted a new hob, these are people were housing we wants and desires.
    Id take the option and pay for it, this doesnt mean your a pushover..it means your reasonable and understanding..remember you'd probably buy it anyhow eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

dvdman1 wrote: »
    I'd look at it from your tenants point of view...okay obviously what they did wasn't the correct way to do things...but it did hasten a conclusion.

Ask your sister:
    Was the existing hob old? If so, she probably would eventually replace it anyhow...is the price on the new hob reasonable?

Remember the future shopping hassle and conflict hassle can be a pain in the b***, im a landlord and ive dealth with this sort of thing before...
    So what if the tenant wanted a new hob, these are people were housing we wants and desires.
    Id take the option and pay for it, this doesnt mean your a pushover..it means your reasonable and understanding..remember you'd probably buy it anyhow eventually.

Being a landlord is about minimising cost especially when not necessary. Yes, they would eventually have to get a new one but you only get a new one when the old one is faulty. The tenant may have needs and wants but that shouldn’t interfere with what I’m doing. If they WANT something. They can spend their own money but it doesn’t give them the right to destroy my property.

Ask your sister:

Id take the option and pay for it, this doesnt mean your a pushover..it mens your reasonable and understanding..remember you'd probably buy it anyhow eventually.

You are entitled to your opinion but I would totally disagree with this approach for multiple reasons but on the principle alone I would not allow a tenant to dictate to me and they can sing for the money but they wouldn’t get a cent and would be on my “evict as soon as possible” list also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ask your sister:

Just because a landlord has depreciated a hob (or any other item) does not infer in any manner shape or form, that the item is at the end of its usable life. In the OP's case- the tenant reported the hob as broken. The landlord sucked up the expense of having it checked by a qualified technician- not once but twice. It passed with flying colours. The tenant, then, in a fit of pique, ripped it out and went and bought a new hob (why- is anyone's guess)- and is now trying to bill the landlord for a totally unnecessary item- all the while they've discards/skipped/recycled- the hob that was inspected and found to be in perfect working order- twice over.

How anyone imagines this is fair or reasonable behaviour- is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Then you need to install a water softening system rather than destroying washing machines, dishwashers and kettles over and over.

even in peoples own primary dwellings this seldom happens, we're some country for just not taking care of our water.

Advertisement