Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

moving house in the next year or two... advice please

Options
  • 08-01-2020 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

HI all,
    we currently live in D15 (3 bed semi). We are looking at moving as the kids are due to start secondary school (dont want to send them locally)in the next 4 years or so and we always say this as our first house rather than our lifetime home. We bought in 2006 and have about 17 years left on our mortgage but will be in a position to clear it soon through an inheritance.
    We are looking at either moving out to Dunboyne as we like the village and will remain close to our social network (eg: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-silver-birches-millfarm-dunboyne-co-meath/4389962 or buying somewhere in or very close to malahide as we have always loved the idea of living in walking distance of the beach and the village. (eg: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/1-seabury-drive-malahide-co-dublin-k36-pr24/4352707
    We are looking at getting a 4 bed house with a budget of approx 500-550k (ideally with a South facing back garden).
    What are peoples opinions on these alternatives? either location suits for my commute as I will have to drive either way to north louth.
    Are current prices due to fall and should we hold off on buying for a year or two? Are there any new developments in the pipeline?

Appreciate any suggestions,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

There are no certainties on whether prices will fall or rise.

Additionally, many articles you read on the subject will be swayed by invested interests. Many opinions you hear will be blinded by personal situation.

Best advice I hear is if you find a house you love and can afford it, buy it. Trying to play a market swung by so many external matters and internal manipulation is a fools game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Only useful advice I have to offer is pack the kettle last. It’s what you’ll need first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seems unlikely you'll buy the same place in Malahide as Dunboyne with the same budget. I don't know the Malahide area that well though. Maybe I'm not understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

beauf wrote: »
    Seems unlikely you'll buy the same place in Malahide as Dunboyne with the same budget. I don't know the Malahide area that well though. Maybe I'm not understanding.

Main difference seems to be in property size and whether property is semi-d or detached. More for your buck in dunboyne, but nowhere near a beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Your question is kinda confusing. It doesn't seem to be really about the properties.

Its more of a life decision. Do you just make incremental improvements and make what appears to be a small change locally, to Dunboyne but I'm sure will end up having a greater effect than you anticipate, especially for the kids. Or do you uproot totally and head to the sea. Effectively start over new.

Speaking from experience, uprooting kids when they are switching to secondary, is a massive upheaval for them. I've known this to be a disaster, or work out well, bit of a lottery. There's obviously more behind the school decision, but thats another discussion.

If had no problem cutting ties, then I don't see why you'd go to Dunboyne over Malahide. The latter is a bit to congested for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You don't stand a chance of finding a decent 4 bed in Malahide for your budget I'm afraid, that's the kind of prices new builds are going for on our (rather more modest) side of the estuary in Donabate / Portrane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Ol if you are buying at selling in the same market it doesn't matter when you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd wonder how little a chance you'd have of getting insurance in 1 Seabury Drive?

Also, I assume you picked both locations due to the proximity to the train stations?
    We are looking at moving as the kids are due to start secondary school (dont want to send them locally)in the next 4 years or so
    Have you looked into the waiting list for the school at either location? This could be an issue.

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd wonder how little a chance you'd have of getting insurance in 1 Seabury Drive?

totally unaware of why there may be an issue with this? excuse the ignorance

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Flooding risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Malahide would be much better for teenage kids. You are likely to isolate them living there in comparison, bad transport and far from everywhere unless you drive, I am from D15 myself and would much rather live in Malahide then Dunboyne.
    The house will not be as nice in Malahide, but the reason for that is its a much nicer area.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

totally unaware of why there may be an issue with this? excuse the ignorance

the brother lives in seabury, lovely estate. The estury floods from time to time but never up that far to the best of my knowledge and he's there years

Malahide would be much better for teenage kids. You are likely to isolate them living there in comparison, bad transport and far from everywhere unless you drive ...

are you talking about dunboyne here?

It seems to have a decent population and a very good secondary school which they would be attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

are you talking about dunboyne here?

It seems to have a decent population and a very good secondary school which they would be attending.

Yes I am. I would say Malahide has some good schools. You need a car for Dunboyne, children generally don't have cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Do your kids have friends in D15? If you move to Dunboyne they're more likely to be able to knock round/keep in touch with them as it's really only 10-15 mins away by car. If not, and they're happy to move, then either place would be nice for a family.

Just out of pure nosiness, why don't you want them going to secondary school in D15?

Advertisement