Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So I failed my home check...

• 27-01-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Our Rottweiler died last year, we recently decided we were ready to get another so after seeing so much online about adopting not shopping I decided this time around this is what we would do.
    So on Friday I found the perfect dog online and put in a request to adopt him. The home checker came out yesterday and all was going well until she saw the wall surrounding our acre property as it is only 4ft in places (though a 10ft drop the other side) and immediately said this is a big problem as my house is by a road. I explained that due to my house being a listed building and the wall surrounding it being part of the protection order I could do very little to amend it. However my current dog & previous Rottie have lived here with no problems as they are never let outside alone.
    Anyway the upshot is we failed the home check as the rescue requires walls of 6ft plus and lost out on adopting the dog.
    Bit disappointed as you can imagine, we are experienced dog owners and wondering if we are destined to always buy our dogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I think I would be in a similar situation to be honest. We have lower walls at the front but they are adequate for my small dogs and for the old lab we had 10 years ago. My brothers gsd can easily jump up on the wall and then into the garden and as he is inclined to grab legs of running small dogs and potentially cause injury mine are never out on their own either. I have a large run at the back where they can go if for some reason they can't be in the house. It is unfair when you have a good home to offer otherwise and the arrangement you have with your dogs means it makes no difference. Will you try other rescues or go to a breeder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm not completely turned off rescuing but I fear that due to the types of dog we are looking to adopt (Rotties, GSD, Doberman, Mastiff etc.) we are going to keep running into the same problem.
    Don't get me wrong I can see their worry but I'm frustrated because I know what kind of dog owner I am, I know I would never let anything happen a dog in my care, my dogs have always died of illness or old age.
    We aren't in a hurry to get another dog, so I'll keep an eye on rescues until the summer & if we still can't win one over we will start researching breeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Anything you can do to maybe add wooden trellising so the dog cannot get a paw on top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

lrushe wrote: »
    I'm not completely turned off rescuing but I fear that due to the types of dog we are looking to adopt (Rotties, GSD, Doberman, Mastiff etc.) we are going to keep running into the same problem.
    Don't get me wrong I can see their worry but I'm frustrated because I know what kind of dog owner I am, I know I would never let anything happen a dog in my care, my dogs have always died of illness or old age.
    We aren't in a hurry to get another dog, so I'll keep an eye on rescues until the summer & if we still can't win one over we will start researching breeders.

Why not extend your fences by the 2/3 foot? Treleces etc?

I can understand from both points of view to be honest .. and regardless of breed not all dogs are the same ..some will climb / jump

Showing you made the effort in terms of additional fencing would help

My house is a listed building, the listing includes one outbuilding and the surrounding wall which is a 200 year old stone wall.
    I know from trying to get an ESB box put outside that making any changes to anything in the listing would involve years of red tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,677 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Even some 6ft bamboo canes and that mesh stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Can you put a fence in front of the wall?

Probably be expensive but safer for any dog you do end up getting.

Dachshund it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Buy a dog. And train him to not jump the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I know from trying to get an ESB box put outside that making any changes to anything in the listing would involve years of red tape.
    Would the ESB box not have been attached to the building? If so, having a hence independent of the wall may be a way around it.

I volunteer at a shelter (and am hoping you're tying to adopt one of the best boi rotties from there), and I'd say their main reason would be to stop the dog escaping continuously and having to be returned in a few weeks time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

the_syco wrote: »

I volunteer at a shelter (and am hoping you're tying to adopt one of the best boi rotties from there), and I'd say their main reason would be to stop the dog escaping continuously and having to be returned in a few weeks time.

But the dog won't be left outside so won't have any opportunity to escape.

I don't know if I'm explaining myself right, the house is on a hill so the garden slopes downward. The wall while 6ft in places comes to about 4ft near the end due to the slope.
    The other side of the wall has about a 10ft drop to the road..
    I suppose if pushed I could build out from the wall but it really would look awful, even the woman doing the check conceded to that.

Would the ESB box not have been attached to the building? If so, having a hence independent of the wall may be a way around it.

The ESB box had to be put in the kitchen in the end.

Like I said I can see the rescues point of view but I have never had a dog escape my garden. The woman doing the check said her dogs would be up and over the wall if they lived here. I don't know, maybe I've lucky with previous dogs in that they had no interest in escaping. The garden is an acre and we basically live out there in the summer, the dogs just want to be where we are, if it's really hot they might go lie under a tree or the kids swing set but that would be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Macdarack wrote: »
    Buy a dog. And train him to not jump the wall.

The OP doesn't want to buy a dog. They want a rescue. The problem isn't the wall, it's the criteria of rescue centres relating to rehoming dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Is it a 6 foot rule for all dogs or just this particular dog? Maybe he's a bit of a known escape artist?

My fences aren't 6ft high but we were still allowed adopt 3 months ago, but then that was for an older dog who has no interest in escaping. Maybe ring around a few rescues and explain your current set up and ask if they'd consider you eligible to adopt a large dog. Answers may vary depending on the rescue and the dog involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Adopt a smaller breed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

KaneToad wrote: »
    The problem isn't the wall, it's the criteria of rescue centres relating to rehoming dogs.

You can't be serious. The criteria in this case isn't the problem. The wall is 4ft in some places with a 10ft drop the other side to a road. How that's not an issue for anyone else is beyond me. Takes one second of a distraction as we all know and off they go.

The rescue was right. Doesn't suit the OP and they can try others and even buy reluctantly (I'd sooner rescue a smaller breed). But the rescue isn't to blame here, they've done their job properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Just try another rescue. Some of the (very well meaning people) can be a bit OTT. If the dog isnt going to be left out there unsupervised i shouldn't be a problem. Though as you said, the breeds you are interested in are not only pretty notorious escape artists, but the kind that many would see as dangerous or alarming if loose in public.

When I had a homecheck the woman barely looked at our garden, it had a high hedge around it anyway but she seemed only concerned that we kept the dog in at night, and that we had time in our schedules for a dog.

You don't need to have a fenced in garden to keep a dog, what's more important is if the dog gets out for exercise and socialization. In fact some of the worst owners I know just leave their dogs out in a tiny fenced in garden all day, sometimes gardens that are actually all cement, and don't bother to ever walk the poor things.

While there are good reasons to try and make sure homes are suitable, and err on the side of caution, you will sometimes get people who are just looking for excuses to say someone isn't suitable. Kind of like when you come on boards and see someone ask for advice on something you get certain posters who will ALWAYS jump down the OPs throat and blame them for everything, come up with all kinds of ridiculous 'what if' scenarios etc.

The shelter I worked at, if someone's fence was a bit low, we'd say to them not to leave the dog unsupervised, and make them aware that if the dog were to escape, they'd be liable for anything it did, and that if it ended up back at the,shelter cuz it was found straying, they'd have to pay an owner claim fee to have it released to them. But that would be it. Sure they could move house a week after getting the dog so worrying about their fence was pointless anyway, home checks were more to get a feel for the environment and make sure the people understood their responsibilities.

Is it a 6 foot rule for all dogs or just this particular dog? Maybe he's a bit of a known escape artist?

My fences aren't 6ft high but we were still allowed adopt 3 months ago, but then that was for an older dog who has no interest in escaping. Maybe ring around a few rescues and explain your current set up and ask if they'd consider you eligible to adopt a large dog. Answers may vary depending on the rescue and the dog involved.

The message I was sent back was "Hi lrushe unfortunately your home check wasn't a success due to the wall heights! We require at least 6tt. Very sorry"

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Adopt a smaller breed

I really would like the breeds I mentioned, they are what I am familiar with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I really would like the breeds I mentioned, they are what I am familiar with.

And they're all powerful breeds that need supervision, and proper fences/walls. It's not just about the dogs safety. I'm lost to see what the issue is here.

Hoboo wrote: »
    And they're all powerful breeds that need supervision, and proper fences/walls. It's not just about the dogs safety. I'm lost to see what the issue is here.

I'm well aware of that, I grew up with GSD and Dobermen. My last dog who lived in this house with this garden was a Rottweiler.
    I am very knowledgeable on all the breeds I would like to adopt, I haven't just picked those breeds out of the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

KaneToad wrote: »
    The OP doesn't want to buy a dog. They want a rescue. The problem isn't the wall, it's the criteria of rescue centres relating to rehoming dogs.

Look at any farm or small holding around the country, where dogs have been kept happily down the generations. Practically zero of them would meet the sort of criteria of many rescue centres. I guess the rules are geared towards urban dwellers. Which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Look at any farm or small holding around the country, where dogs have been kept happily down the generations. Practically zero of them would meet the sort of criteria of many rescue centres. I guess the rules are geared towards urban dwellers. Which is fair enough.

To be fair, the dogs that the OP likes are mostly classed as "restricted breeds" which require extra securing. Mine is a restricted breed too so I know how pointless the classification of dogs like this is, but it's just not considered to be the same as a collie wandering around a farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I once raised a wall for a rescue to home a large breed and after it was built they turned me down because the rescue "didn't get on" with our dog.

Despite the fact they decided to just show up and march into the house with the rescue dog instead of introducing them properly.

Would never go near a rescue now, they're full of headbanger volunteers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

To be fair, There is a lot of silly suggestions here.

I have a rescued Husky (Also knows as escape artists) and a malamute (I describe them as a husky/bear cross to people who dont know)

They have a 3ft patchy laurel hedge keeping them in.
    They are happy where they are and don't try to escape, ever.

Telling OP to get a smaller dog is stupid. People like a big dog, a dog you can play fight with and really ruffle. I personally don't like small dogs, op prob the same.

I think you just need to find someone with sense in the rescue center OP.
    Better you have them than the dog put to sleep.

On top of anything, A 6ft barrier around your house is ugly AF.
    Dogs when trained correctly and given attention they need shouldn't need this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Could you put up additional fencing inside the wall where it is needed, adopt the dog, see how the dog settles and if they have any inclination to break out, and if not take down the ugly fencing and store it until needed again?

Could you put up additional fencing inside the wall where it is needed, adopt the dog, see how the dog settles and if they have any inclination to break out, and if not take down the ugly fencing and store it until needed again?

Tbh this did cross my mind and something I might end up doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 frustrated_

Adopt from your local dog pound.

No restrictions there and a lot of dogs that you find in rescues are from pounds anyway.

Rescues put a huge amount of work in trying to match dogs with the right homes. They also spend much of their time chasing escaped dogs around and this is why some have to be strict.

• Advertisement

Adopt from your local dog pound.

No restrictions there and a lot of dogs that you find in rescues are from pounds anyway.

The problem I have with adopting from the pound is the lack of history, I have 2 young kids, an elderly cat and a resident dog so I really need to know they haven't any issues with any of those or it could end up with one of them being hurt or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Tbh this did cross my mind and something I might end up doing!

If you get a dog that once it has settled you think needs the fence then it's up, but in the meantime you are demonstrating that you are willing to listen to their concerns. If you get a dog that doesn't need it then happy days.

I understand where you are coming from though- I've a lab and no rescue would have given him to us are our garden has so many potential escape routes. It's not an issue for him as even if you leave him outside, he'll just lie on the back step to come back in, but in general will not go out with someone with him.

I understand the rescue can't take the chance though that the dog is always with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

Hi Op,
    What age dog are you looking for? I know of 2 rescues atm that have litters of bull mastiff x German Shepard and Belgian malinois that need experienced owners if you wanted to try them?

SuziXX wrote: »
    Hi Op,
    What age dog are you looking for? I know of 2 rescues atm that have litters of bull mastiff x German Shepard and Belgian malinois that need experienced owners if you wanted to try them?

Age isn't really an issue more that they are cat, dog and child friendly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

I know of a springer spaniel looking for a home its companion died and the owners have a sick child luekemia and need to re home the other dog a male neutered and very nice black & white gunshy so not suitable for shooting a family dog

But the dog won't be left outside so won't have any opportunity to escape.
    Actually, they will be outside, just not alone.
    they are never let outside alone
    Unless the dog is on a leash, there is a chance that the dog will chase something when they are outside.
    The wall while 6ft in places comes to about 4ft near the end due to the slope.
    The 4ft section is probably a problem to the checker.

=-=

Have you considered that the dog you want to adopt is an escape artist? Have heard of a few escape artists opening round handles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You could rescue a dog off done deal in the free to a good home section and there is no home check involved.

Unless the dog is on a leash, there is a chance that the dog will chase something when they are outside.

The 4ft section is probably a problem to the checker.

=-=

Have you considered that the dog you want to adopt is an escape artist? Have heard of a few escape artists opening round handles!

So do rescues request all dogs they adopt out be kept on a lead while out for a walk? Surely there is more chance of a dog chasing something and running off while out for a walk than while supervised in an enclosed garden.
    In my experience once a dog is adequately exercised, it has little desire to be jumping walls and escaping.

The dog I was looking to adopt was a pup.

You could rescue a dog off done deal in the free to a good home section and there is no home check involved.

I have been keeping an eye on Adverts adoption section.

So do rescues request all dogs they adopt out be kept on a lead while out for a walk?
    Not in the persons back garden, which IMO is why they want a high wall all the way around it.

Not in the persons back garden, which IMO is why they want a high wall all the way around it.

No I understand that, what I'm saying is people who rescue dogs often bring them for off leash walks, how is the risk of them running off in a back yard with a 4ft wall in places and under supervision any higher than them running off when off leash on a walk? But no rescue I know have that as a general rule of always keeping the dog they are adopting on a leash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

No I understand that, what I'm saying is people who rescue dogs often bring them for off leash walks, how is the risk of them running off in a back yard with a 4ft wall in places and under supervision any higher than them running off when off leash on a walk? But no rescue I know have that as a general rule of always keeping the dog they are adopting on a leash.

I think the difference is is that a rescue has to run under the assumption that a dog is going to be let off in their back garden without supervision at some point, not every owner is going to stand out in their back garden with their dog in the lashing rain waiting for them to do their business, they'll much sooner open the door and let the dog out. While a dog on a walk off leash, is technically still under supervision.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don’t work for a rescue, but I did get my dog from one and also had a home check. I would say don’t take personal umbrage with them because your garden, not you, wasn’t fully acceptable to them. These are their rules.
    I was the same as you in that my last dog passed away of old age (16) before I got my current pup.
    You would never have met the rescue staff before and they don’t know you. They probably hear stories everyday of people promising them the sun moon and stars, and then ultimately end up getting dogs returned to them, or worse, a dog getting out on the toad and getting injured/ killed.

My wall wasn’t high enough, but I put in an inexpensive non temporary solution that satisfies all parties. See pics attached, it’s just a roll of weld mesh fence attached to rebar poles. I used large cup hooks to secure it to the wall. The fence is unobtrusive and does the job perfectly.
    If the rescue have the dog you absolutely want, it is relatively straight forward to satisfy their conditions.

VonVix wrote: »
    I think the difference is is that a rescue has to run under the assumption that a dog is going to be let off in their back garden without supervision at some point, not every owner is going to stand out in their back garden with their dog in the lashing rain waiting for them to do their business, they'll much sooner open the door and let the dog out. While a dog on a walk off leash, is technically still under supervision.

I see people all the time with their dog off leash either engrossed in a conversation with a friend or texting on their phone with no idea what their dog is up to, being present doesn't always equal supervision.
    That's the thing though isn't it, it is all assumptions. Rescues will assume a dog might jump a 4ft wall but will walk patiently by its owners side while off lead on a walk and not take off after something that catches its eye.
    I mean it's all just ifs and buts at the end of the day, the rescue has its rules and they won't budge on them.

ratracer wrote: »
    I don’t work for a rescue, but I did get my dog from one and also had a home check. I would say don’t take personal umbrage with them because your garden, not you, wasn’t fully acceptable to them. These are their rules.
    I was the same as you in that my last dog passed away of old age (16) before I got my current pup.
    You would never have met the rescue staff before and they don’t know you. They probably hear stories everyday of people promising them the sun moon and stars, and then ultimately end up getting dogs returned to them, or worse, a dog getting out on the toad and getting injured/ killed.

My wall wasn’t high enough, but I put in an inexpensive non temporary solution that satisfies all parties. See pics attached, it’s just a roll of weld mesh fence attached to rebar poles. I used large cup hooks to secure it to the wall. The fence is unobtrusive and does the job perfectly.
    If the rescue have the dog you absolutely want, it is relatively straight forward to satisfy their conditions.

I do understand the rescues point of view, I just see mine too ;)

It's not the expense of putting a fence up it's the fact that I can't legally due to the wall being part of a protected structure .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I would provide a fabulous home to a dog but rescues won’t even consider me because I work. I have a secure garden that can be accessed via a flap and dogs here have the run of the house. I also exercise my dogs daily and play games with them too. I do sometimes wonder how any dogs get rehomed via rescues when the criteria is so narrow. People have suggested that I should lie about my hours of work but I don’t like to do that. The longest I would be away would be eight hours and that’s not every day.

Like you, I have a cat and small children visiting and staying over sometimes and would love to have the comfort of knowing that a dog I take in is cat and child friendly. Because of the rescues policy, I have to take my chances with the pound and hope for the best. It’s worked for me so far.....

how is the risk of them running off in a back yard with a 4ft wall in places and under supervision any higher than them running off when off leash on a walk
    The assumption is that the dog will be left outside unsupervised at some stage. This is nothing against your willingness to rehome a dog, it's more because the shelters will have had dogs returned to them because the owner can't stop them from escaping multiple times, and refuse to put up a decent fence.
    I would provide a fabulous home to a dog but rescues won’t even consider me because I work.
    I agree it sucks, but it's because a few dogs get returned because they became destructive. A few words later, it's found that the dog gets destructive after being left alone for 8 hours a day. Most dogs arrive in the shelter with issues relating to being abandoned, so the shelters try to avoid giving the dog to someone who won't be at home for long periods.

I agree it sucks, but it's because a few dogs get returned because they became destructive. A few words later, it's found that the dog gets destructive after being left alone for 8 hours a day. Most dogs arrive in the shelter with issues relating to being abandoned, so the shelters try to avoid giving the dog to someone who won't be at home for long periods.[/QUOTE]
    While I agree that leaving a dog consistently for long periods is wrong and cruel, I think the problem might be partly what happens the rest of the time. If the dog is left during the day, with no stimulation or indoor/outdoor access, that’s a problem. If a dog is not walked as soon as their humans get home, that’s a problem. If the humans get home, then head off again to eat out, go to gym, night class etc, that’s a problem. But a home where a dog is the centre of everything outside of working hours, and where they have a consistent routine, I personally think is less of an issue with abandonment. I wouldn’t even go to the shop for a pint of milk without my dog. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think a more nuanced approach could be considered by the rescues.

For those who say the can’t adopt due to working full time ... why not use doggie day Care and tell the rescue this?

I rescued a springer 2.5 weeks ago and while we’re not at home he’s in doggie day care .. otherwise he’s with us or asleep in the kitchen.

He’s loves it .. personally being alone consistently 40 hours or more week for a dog isn’t right .. unless you can break up this time and avail of dog walkers / doggie day care etc

cocker5 wrote: »
    For those who say the can’t adopt due to working full time ... why not use doggie day Care and tell the rescue this?

I rescued a springer 2.5 weeks ago and while we’re not at home he’s in doggie day care .. otherwise he’s with us or asleep in the kitchen.

He’s loves it .. personally being alone consistently 40 hours or more week for a dog isn’t right .. unless you can break up this time and avail of dog walkers / doggie day care etc
    Hi cocker5, congrats on the adoption!

If I remember correctly, doggie day care wasn’t even an option on the application forms. Anyway, it’s not always an option in rural areas. I was totally honest on my applications, I work a four day week, but can often do some work from home for part of the day. My previous and current dog don’t seem to mind at all, as long as they are prioritized as soon as I get home.

Anyway, I was just making a general point really. I have lots of rural neighbours, who are at home all the time and their dogs hardly get a glance and live outside too, no walks or stimulation. The rescues are bursting and there are loving homes waiting for at least some of those lovely dogs.

Hi cocker5, congrats on the adoption!

If I remember correctly, doggie day care wasn’t even an option on the application forms. Anyway, it’s not always an option in rural areas. I was totally honest on my applications, I work a four day week, but can often do some work from home for part of the day. My previous and current dog don’t seem to mind at all, as long as they are prioritized as soon as I get home.

Anyway, I was just making a general point really. I have lots of rural neighbours, who are at home all the time and their dogs hardly get a glance and live outside too, no walks or stimulation. The rescues are bursting and there are loving homes waiting for at least some of those lovely dogs.

I honestly think if your very interested in a dog .. fill out the application form yes BUT I sent them a Facebook pm .. explaining the situation.. send the photos of my Cody who we lost last August .. explained the dog would not be dumped in the garden etc .. I kinda stalked them if I’m honest :) and it worked x anyway I do agree with you so so many dog loosing out on excellent homes due to very strict conditions x

• Advertisement
Advertisement