Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CoronaVirus

• 26-01-2020 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

was considering a trip this summer ?

Ban flights from affected areas now 46 votes

Yes ban now
    73% 34 votes
    No. Not yet
    13% 6 votes
    No never
    10% 5 votes
    Don't care
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 americanboi

It has certainly put a big doubt for me, like you I was considering a trip there this summer but now it's up in the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There's worse things than the coronsvirus in thailsnf....

thailsnf
    **** wouldn't go there!

Joking, Thailand OP? Wouldn't put me off, but I guess it's a personal choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Goin in march, not put me off........yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

higher chances of you dying if flu in dublin.... or being killed in a road accident... then dying of coronavirus in Thailand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If the death toll keeps doubling daily you wouldn't get me to Dublin let alone Thailand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd definitely wait to see, number are doubling at the moment and there's no clear information. I'd probably book a cozy week or 2 in spain instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

Have you already booked?
    If not then it's a simple wait and see. The next few weeks will tell a lot.

China is just finishing up its biggest holiday period of the year today (4 days) and a lot of people living there have been moving around for this both domestically in China and abroad.
    It is a bit of a mass migration although reports suggest that this year has been a bit different.

Let's see what impact this has in the coming weeks or months. The cases are definitely going to increase a lot more but soon enough I think everybody will have a clearer idea of what exactly this virus is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 iamgroot

Currently in Hunan, bout an eight hour drive from Wuhan where the virus is.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Flying to Bangkok on the 4th February.

I'm wary of flights being cancelled/insurance issues and watching out to see if the WHO declare it an international emergency.. but it hasn't put me off travelling to Thailand.

Sure there have been confirmed cases in Europe too and no reported fatalities outside of China yet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I was in Vietnam during or just after the SARS outbreak and it actually helped make it an amazing holiday. There were so few tourists around that you kept seeing and recognising the same 50 odd faces as I made my way up from HCM to Hanoi. I was literally the only person in the imperial city of Hué apart from the guy in the gift shop and most historic sites had less than 10 tourists at a time. I stayed in 5 star hotels in the big cities for $20 and in 3 stars elsewhere for less than $10. The downside was a lot of places had just opened to meet the demand for the new tourism boom and you could tell they were desperate for customers.
    I'd be more discouraged from visiting Thailand by the strength of the baht and general price gouging op- the place just isn't good value anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

sabat wrote: »
    I'd be more discouraged from visiting Thailand by the strength of the baht and general price gouging op- the place just isn't good value anymore.

Its crazy how prices have gone up in Thailand, I went 3 times over the space of 12 years but wont be going again as theres better value out there. It used to be a bargain of a country but those days are long over now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As more cases of the corona virus turn up around the world linked with travel to the area of origin in China, is it not time to ban flights form those areas now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

saabsaab wrote: »
    As more cases of the corona virus turn up around the world linked with travel to the area of origin in China, is it not time to ban flights form those areas now?

How would it work in reality? I could connect through Frankfurt on my way home - do you block the Frankfurt flight (illegal in EU) or block a flight from China landing in EU?

What about people who connect from China through Singapore for example?

Even if you could do it, are you imprisoning people there at the moment, in that they couldn’t get out?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    How would it work in reality? I could connect through Frankfurt on my way home - do you block the Frankfurt flight (illegal in EU) or block a flight from China landing in EU?

What about people who connect from China through Singapore for example?

Even if you could do it, are you imprisoning people there at the moment, in that they couldn’t get out?

I don't know how it would work but I would absolutely keep people there, costs paid by the Government until this is under control. The few that would suffer would be more that counterbalanced by the possible consequences of corona taking hold in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't know how it would work but I would absolutely keep people there, costs paid by the Government until this is under control. The few that would suffer would be more that counterbalanced by the possible consequences of corona taking hold in this country.

Taking hold? What are you talking about?

It's a new strain of flu, that's all. People get sick, nearly all get better.

The elderly and infirm are susceptible, but that's no different to the normal flu. SARS caused mass few around the world and killed 750 people. Meanwhile, the common flu killed 400,000.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Taking hold? What are you talking about?

It's a new strain of flu, that's all. People get sick, nearly all get better.

The elderly and infirm are susceptible, but that's no different to the normal flu.

Nobody knows if it is similar to normal flu yet but it seems to be far more contagious that other strains.
    The Chinese authorities are taking this very seriously we would be foolish not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factchecking-the-coronavirus

"Like SARS, the new coronavirus strain has no known cure – although most cases do not prove fatal, and some patients have already recovered and been discharged from hospital."

Banning flights will probably have little effect now and if anything would increase panic.

Kev11491 wrote: »
    https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factchecking-the-coronavirus

"Like SARS, the new coronavirus strain has no known cure – although most cases do not prove fatal, and some patients have already recovered and been discharged from hospital."

Banning flights will probably have little effect now and if anything would increase panic.

You may be right that it's now too late to halt flights as it is already outside China but there is no panic and I can't see how stopping a few flights interconnected with affected regions would cause much inconvenience except for the few involved much less panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

We're talking about China and they arent exactly known for being up front with facts & numbers. Could be alot more infected and dead then we know about

• Advertisement

You may be right that it's now too late to halt flights as it is already outside China but there is no panic and I can't see how stopping a few flights interconnected with affected regions would cause much inconvenience except for the few involved much less panic.
    Ok, there's concern. I tried ordering facemasks to send to a friend in Singapore today and almost everywhere in Dublin seems to be out of them.
    Banning flights will cause panic though and again be completely pointless.

Wuhan and other regions have been sealed off already, so what other areas would you ban flights from anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

there are around 15 to 70 thousand deaths every year in Europe by the common flu. Ask yourself, would you like your long awaited vacation to Tenerife cancelled just because there are some people in your country who are sick? If so, why stop at travel ban - we should cancel all public events, mass gatherings etc.

I understand we don't know much about this virus, but we do know that the patient zero got sick at around Christmas, for best part of the month there were no restrictions to move about and only for the last few days affected areas are under a lock down.. After a month of virus being free to roam around in a densely populated area with not the highest hygiene standards we only have couple of thousand infected and a little over 100 people dead. I wish flu was this passive.

I think we have to wait and see what's happening for the next two or so weeks, but so far it looks like it's a carbon copy of SARS that didn't really spread outside Asia, with isolated cases of people getting the virus in China and bringing it to North America/Europe but not spreading it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

martinsvi wrote: »
    there are around 15 to 70 thousand deaths every year in Europe by the common flu.
    This is not the common flu. It's not common, hence the term 'novel' (virus jump from bats/snakes to humans).
    There is no immunity nor vaccine available. There is also a small risk of 2nd wave mutation (as per the Spanish flu).

Current 1st wave, displays x20 the fatalitiy rate (2-3%) compared to regualar seasonal flu (0.1%).

The very earliest vax may be 3mths away, but when you add in human trials, then it's closer to 1yr before roll-out of a preventative jab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

This is not the common flu. It's not common, hence the term 'novel' (virus jump from bats/snakes to humans).
    There is no immunity nor vaccine available. There is also a small risk of 2nd wave mutation (as per the Spanish flu).

Current 1st wave, displays x20 the fatalitiy rate (2-3%) compared to regualar seasonal flu (0.1%).

The very earliest vax may be 3mths away, but when you add in human trials, then it's closer to 1yr before roll-out of a preventative jab.

why would you consider vaccines and immunity for something that essentially is a once-off freak event? I would much rather try to persuade (I know how naive it sounds, but..) China to bring their food safety and hygiene standards into 21st century, all these issues are coming from their gross negligence and incompetence when handling animals

martinsvi wrote: »
    why would you consider vaccines and immunity for something that essentially is a once-off freak event? I would much rather try to persuade (I know how naive it sounds, but..) China to bring their food safety and hygiene standards into 21st century, all these issues are coming from their gross negligence and incompetence when handling animals
    It's a 'once-off freak event' (like the Spanish flu), that is currently increasing x2 (or more) each day, do the math to calculate what that means.

Outdoor wet markets in China have already closed down and generally made illegal. Well much of China is closing down for pretty much anything currently.

It's a 'once-off freak event' (like the Spanish flu), that is currently increasing x2 (or more) each day, do the math to calculate what that means.

Outdoor wet markets in China have already closed down and generally made illegal. Well much of China is closing down for pretty much anything currently.

Pretty sure this has drifted away from aviation and aircraft now

In terms of air travel, both human transmission, and transmission (without symptons) have been displayed.
    So air travel (e.g. 12hrs in a confined space) should be restricted from all Chinese ports (China has over 4,000 confirmed cases now).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

We need to get rid of a few billion people, so let it spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I would ask the question.

What has this got to do with Aviation and Aircraft?

In my opinion this subject is more related to the Travel Forum. Perhaps the Current Affairs Forum of which the OP is a regular contributor. Or most likely the whacky, surreal world of the After Hours Forum, which appears to be popular with the OP.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I would ask the question.

What has this got to do with Aviation and Aircraft?

In my opinion this subject is more related to the Travel Forum. Perhaps the Current Affairs Forum of which the OP is a regular contributor. Or most likely the whacky, surreal world of the After Hours Forum, which appears to be popular with the OP.

The answer is that air travel is the main carrier of affected people from one country to another. Also closed airports will affect aviation. Better to do what may be an overreaction now rather than later when the genie is out of the bottle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51292590

BA have suspended all flights to mainland China now, wouldn't be surprised if other airlines start to follow suit.

deconduo wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51292590

BA have suspended all flights to mainland China now, wouldn't be surprised if other airlines start to follow suit.

Needed to be done. Lets hope the others follow soon.

Any other airlines doing this

Any other airlines doing this
    Various suspensions and restrictions, UA was one of the 1st.
    You travel insurance may be stuffed if travelling somewhere not recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its crazy how prices have gone up in Thailand, I went 3 times over the space of 12 years but wont be going again as theres better value out there. It used to be a bargain of a country but those days are long over now.

+1000

Last December was our 9th trip to Thailand. It's gone from "not very cheap anymore lads" to quite simply "taking the p1ss"

Cheaper food & drink around Europe!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    +1000

Last December was our 9th trip to Thailand. It's gone from "not very cheap anymore lads" to quite simply "taking the p1ss"

Cheaper food & drink around Europe!
    Are you serious? Going for my very first time next week. That's disapointing to hear, had a certain budget set out for this trip based on travel vlogs I'd been following.

What would be say, the price of a cooked meal from a street market these days? Would you be there in backpacker conditions or more luxurious?

De Danann wrote: »
    Are you serious? Going for my very first time next week. That's disapointing to hear, had a certain budget set out for this trip based on travel vlogs I'd been following.

What would be say, the price of a cooked meal from a street market these days? Would you be there in backpacker conditions or more luxurious?

It's a combination of rising prices (inflation etc.) and a seriously strong baht.

You'll still get your 50 baht pad thai on Khao San, along with your 60 baht Chang, but once you go to restaurants / outside Khao San, things get expensive.

Up North the cost of living is lower, obviously.

Down South you'll defo feel the pinch.

I remember many places trying to gouge 150THB for a Massaman Curry (traditionally a cheap dish in Thailand) + 20THB for Rice = 170THB = approx €5.40 (at the time) - not cheap for basic food.

Small Chang (330ml) in 7/11 approx 40-45THB so almost €1.50 - You can get a bottle of Miller from an offie here for cheaper than that. In a restaurant a small Chang was anything from 60-100 THB

JohnCleary wrote: »
    It's a combination of rising prices (inflation etc.) and a seriously strong baht.

You'll still get your 50 baht pad thai on Khao San, along with your 60 baht Chang, but once you go to restaurants / outside Khao San, things get expensive.

Up North the cost of living is lower, obviously.

Down South you'll defo feel the pinch.

I remember many places trying to gouge 150THB for a Massaman Curry (traditionally a cheap dish in Thailand) + 20THB for Rice = 170THB = approx €5.40 (at the time) - not cheap for basic food.

Small Chang (330ml) in 7/11 approx 40-45THB so almost €1.50 - You can get a bottle of Miller from an offie here for cheaper than that. In a restaurant a small Chang was anything from 60-100 THB

I'll keep a weather eye out for the gougers so! That's a pity..would you say the price increases on food are just restaurants or are street food hit with the same increases?

I'll be in Bangkok for one week, then travelling towards the North so hopefully get a bit more value for money up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    was considering a trip this summer ?

Short answer is yes.

I wouldn't go near that part of the world at the moment. Maybe it'll all calm down or maybe not. Thailand has highest cases of the virus outside China.

Even if you put aside fears about catching the virus - the risk of travel disruptions would put me off.

• Advertisement

Apparently Irish being brought back from Wuhan will be quarantined in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

easypazz wrote:
    We need to get rid of a few billion people, so let it spread.

Would you be happy to volunteer yourself and your family for the cull? Thought not. Imbecilic comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

De Danann wrote: »

If you've never been there before you're not going to notice price increases in fairness.

I go there regularly and lived there for a while so the strength of the baht is very obvious. Then there's the Thai logic: there are fewer tourists, we're making less money. Solution - put up prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Hi,
    I’m due to fly to Germany this day week, for work. A trade show - Ambiente, Messe Frankfurt.
    I feel a bit iffy about going, am I being caught up in the hype? I get pretty bad chest infections around this time of year usually. I am NOT asthmatic but I’ve been prescribed inhalers a couple of times.
    A week will tell a lot I guess...
    How do people feel about travelling to a country where there are diagnosed cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Over 50 people die in road traffic accidents in Germany a week. Better avoid alright.

We are right to be concerned worldwide as a population and hope it doesn't become worse but on an individual level currently the odds are so vastly low of anything happening to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

twirlagig wrote: »
    I feel a bit iffy about going, am I being caught up in the hype?
    How do people feel about travelling to a country where there are diagnosed cases?

C&P of a post I made on another thread:
    Might be worth taking note of the fact that there have been 22 deaths in France since November due directly to the bog-standard flu virus, i.e. 22 more than total number of deaths from coronavirus in the whole world outside of China ... and no-one has put France on a no-fly list.

Chances are if you're going to get infected by something nasty in the next six months, it'll be one of your neighbours or a family member who gives it to you. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Just don't eat any bats while you're there

mod-edit --> https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/118956298/are-bats-to-blame-for-chinas-new-virus <--

If you've never been there before you're not going to notice price increases in fairness.

I go there regularly and lived there for a while so the strength of the baht is very obvious. Then there's the Thai logic: there are fewer tourists, we're making less money. Solution - put up prices.

^^ This +1

If it's your first time there, you won't notice the prices (unless you're on a seriously tight budget).

The Thai logic is laughable and it exactly as killbillvol2 states... "It's quiet, less customers... better up the prices to compensate"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just keep your wits about you, don't touch handles or shake hands.
    If you do, have hand sanitiser handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Wash your hands, wear gloves on public transport, avoid anyone coughing or sneezing openly.... Exact same as you would do to avoid getting the flu...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement