Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow internet when playing a movie.

Options
  • 30-01-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone on here has heard of this , after downloading a movie with utorrent i stop it from seeding and close the program then go to downloads and play that movie with vlc /windows media player my internet connection drops from 2.8 mb to almost nothing .if i stop the movie and turn off the laptop my internet connection returns to normal ,

So do i have some sort of trojan ,virus ? i have run malwarebytes, Avast ,CC Cleaner ,searched for unusual programs running in task manager cant see anything out of the ordinary .I have even turned wifi off on laptop and same problem exsists , it doesnt happen if i play movie off my phone .laptop is running windows 7 .

I am no computer whizz so any help tips would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

wouldnt be a virus issue, did mbam or avast find anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭daredevil360

No they came up with nothing !

run dds and post its log

www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/dds/

ok did this earlier ,is this ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i remember a while back reading on utorrent forums that with older versions of utorrent, there was a bug that even when closing utorrent it kept seeding. Do you have the latest version?

• Advertisement

yes I have it 3.3.2 I was on there too looking for a solution .The internet works fine the problem is when i play a movie ive downloaded it starts to slow to nothing then .

logs are fine, sorry no idea whats causing it mate

jsa112 wrote: »
    logs are fine, sorry no idea whats causing it mate

Ok mate thanks for your help

This is probably a big leap, but it's all i can think of in such a strange situation.

Several things can slow internet speed, i'm thinking possible High RAM usage, when you have VLC Player running, what % of RAM is available/free?

i have tried it with other players also ,but I hear what you are saying how do I find out about the ram ?is it in taskbar/processes if so it says vlc 55,800k.

• Advertisement

with the movie playing:

Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar, and then clicking Start Task Manager.

Click the Performance tab. The bottom two graphs display how much memory is being used in megabytes (MB). The percentage of memory being used is listed at the bottom of the Task Manager window.

movie playing it says 39%

movie playing it says 39%

well that's not it, you have 61% free.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    well that's not it, you have 61% free.

Thanks anyway,am stumped !. I have no clue what it is ...may be router related not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭connorfleming

Shouldn't be router related if it's only happening when you finish downloading a film. Have you tried looking in the processes tab of task manager for uTorrent, if it's there try killing it and see if that helps

Shouldn't be router related if it's only happening when you finish downloading a film. Have you tried looking in the processes tab of task manager for uTorrent, if it's there try killing it and see if that helps

Yeah I've done that ,end process / close program even rebooted ,removed torrent and played directly from downloads with WiFi off ! ,don't know what the heck it is lol .

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Evil Robot

Why do people download? Streaming is way quicker, no waiting for download, no virus risk, no taking up room on your hard drive, and its legal.

Evil Robot wrote: »
    Why do people download? Streaming is way quicker, no waiting for download, no virus risk, no taking up room on your hard drive, and its legal.

My slow ass internet won't even play a 1 min HD YouTube video lol

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Evil Robot

My slow ass internet won't even play a 1 min HD YouTube video lol

Lol, I know that feeling.

Advertisement