Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuath housing

Options
  • 09-11-2020 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Have a question or two (maybe 3) about tuath,

Received a phone call saying that I had been nominated for a new build house by tuath and that it is in cooperation with the council. This is great news as myself and the kids have been on the housing list coming up to 10 years and the house I receive HAP isn't the most stable as the landlord has mentioned selling up.

My questions are (1) is this a forever home or am I another tenant but under tuath this time and I wont have the opportunity to ever buy the house we may be getting? (2) If is only under tuath will I still be on the waiting list as I have been these last 10 years or be taking off of it upon accepting the tuath house. My last question is, because the tuath house is a new build what does this mean for furnishings and flooring etc, do new build tuath homes come with flooring, appliances and furniture. Its coming up to Christmas and all my savings went into college so I am having a night of freaking out!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Its a forever home.

You cannot but it. But you do not need to, see point 1

You need to ask them about fittings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

sharxoxo wrote: »

Received a phone call saying that I had been nominated for a new build house by tuath and that it is in cooperation with the council. This is great news as myself and the kids have been on the housing list coming up to 10 years and the house I receive HAP isn't the most stable as the landlord has mentioned selling up.

My questions are (1) is this a forever home or am I another tenant but under tuath this time and I wont have the opportunity to ever buy the house we may be getting? (2) If is only under tuath will I still be on the waiting list as I have been these last 10 years or be taking off of it upon accepting the tuath house. My last question is, because the tuath house is a new build what does this mean for furnishings and flooring etc, do new build tuath homes come with flooring, appliances and furniture. Its coming up to Christmas and all my savings went into college so I am having a night of freaking out!! :)

Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sharxoxo

Thanks guys I was really curious on this as I had never heard of tuath before. If anybody in the future finds this thread and are curious about the fittings, you will most likely will have to get the floorings and your own furniture and white goods if it is a new build. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Thanks guys I was really curious on this as I had never heard of tuath before. If anybody in the future finds this thread and are curious about the fittings, you will most likely will have to get the floorings and your own furniture and white goods if it is a new build. :)

You have to get this stuff whether it's a new build or an older property.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭MILF

1. Congratulations, its your forever home! You are now a tenant under Tuath but its hoped that up ahead, the housing associations will be given the same rights as the Councils to be able to sell to their tenants.
    2. If you accept, you are then off the Council list and will only deal with Tuath from now on.

If its a brand new build, it will be a shell of a house basically. The white goods (fridge, washing machine etc) may be included, but if not, you have to furnish and fit everything yourself. Same with flooring. However, there is a grant available via your supplementary welfare officer. This takes a while to receive, so best off applying asap.

• Advertisement

MILF wrote: »
    1. Congratulations, its your forever home! You are now a tenant under Tuath but its hoped that up ahead, the housing associations will be given the same rights as the Councils to be able to sell to their tenants.
    2. If you accept, you are then off the Council list and will only deal with Tuath from now on.

If its a brand new build, it will be a shell of a house basically. The white goods (fridge, washing machine etc) may be included, but if not, you have to furnish and fit everything yourself. Same with flooring. However, there is a grant available via your supplementary welfare officer. This takes a while to receive, so best off applying asap.
    Thank you for the info I have of course accepted kids are thrilled :) . It would be great if we were able to buy eventually just like with the council as I am hoping to be able to go straight into employment after my online courses and in the future have a chance to own a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not sure where someone got the idea but these new housing providers won't be selling their housing stock to tenants ,it's never going to happen .

Congratulations on your new home op it's nice to see some happynesss coming through these mad times .

Nice Christmas present

Gatling wrote: »
    Not sure where someone got the idea but these new housing providers won't be selling their housing stock to tenants ,it's never going to happen .

Congratulations on your new home op it's nice to see some happynesss coming through these mad times .

Nice Christmas present
    Thats a shame there will be that fear of tuath selling the property after you get settled and put your touch on it but sure we're happy either way, the house we are in is overcrowded and not suitable when the weather gets colder so this is a win for us for the next few years :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

there will be that fear of tuath selling the property after you get settled

What makes you think they're likely to start selling off properties from underneath tenants?

Is this something that happens?

Graham wrote: »
    What makes you think they're likely to start selling off properties from underneath tenants?

Is this something that happens?
    Sorry unsure if I read it online or in their handbook that a tenancy could be ended if tuath intended to transfer ownership of the property I am really unsure of it myself tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry unsure if I read it online or in their handbook that a tenancy could be ended if tuath intended to transfer ownership of the property I am really unsure of it myself tbh

They got money from the government to buy/build the house. They won't be just allowed to sell on the open market. They may sell to other social housing providers.

Congratulations on your hand up. Hopefully you can use it as you establish your career, save for a deposit, and then eventually buy a home of your own elsewhere - freeing up the social housing property for someone else who needs the hand-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sanddi

Hey, im curious to know when they offer you a place do they also offer other people the same one and just pick best suited ? As my name had been put foward for apartment but I dont want to get my hopes it incase I don't get it

sanddi wrote: »
    Hey, im curious to know when they offer you a place do they also offer other people the same one and just pick best suited ? As my name had been put foward for apartment but I dont want to get my hopes it incase I don't get it
    I received a phone call asking if I was interested in a nomination after that I was told they would follow up with me within two to three weeks after I submitted confirmation of nomination, this was all through the covid restrictions so I'm not to sure how it will be with them relaxing now but I would assume you will more than likely get it. Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mollymops13

I received a phone call asking if I was interested in a nomination after that I was told they would follow up with me within two to three weeks after I submitted confirmation of nomination, this was all through the covid restrictions so I'm not to sure how it will be with them relaxing now but I would assume you will more than likely get it. Good Luck :)

Just wondering if you had an interview for the house and how soon after the interview where u offered the house? In similar situation at the moment just waiting to hear about the house now as have had interviews and sent back all paperwork needed etc thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jack Neary

I'm just wondering what checks if any they do .

Seems being evicted from a HAP property doesn't stop you getting a Tuath apartment with Roscommon co council

It's a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2 madambee11

May I ask, since it is a couple of years later. Has everyone been safe and secure in their Tuath housing? Has anyone been evicted or has Tuath sold housing on? I just expressed interest in Tuath housing but I am skeptical to think of it as my "forever home".

Thanks

M

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Katherine62

Hi all,

This is a question relating to Tuath, we recently were told absolutely no way are we allowed to convert our attic into a room, but MAYBE into storgae etc floors down etc, but probably not, and if we put floors down they will come to inspect and make us remove the work and if we dont we will be out basically, has anybody ever put floors or even boards down in an attic? our attic is huge, had somebody come out to look at it and he said easily a bathroom and two bedrooms would be able to fit, but obviously that wont happen, we really want to just do the floors for storage,

Anybody in a tuath or housing association house ever do anything similar to this?

Thanks

If you owned the house you be free to do what you want but the fact that its a Tuath House they will be required to ensure that the house meets building/fire standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Tuath don't mess around - they are not like the County Councils. They will take action to evict if they deem a tenant is non-compliant.

They've told you their conditions. I wouldn't risk flouting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rowantree18

Just a point - a colleague recently got a social home which she would be eligible to buy in the future. If she stays paying the fairly minimal rent it's still a forever home, although the tenancy dies with her (generally). The rent is based on income so as a pensioner it'll decrease.

But - she's decided against buying as if she does, she has to pay the property tax herself, pay the maintenance charge for the development herself, pay to have the yearly heat pump and mechanical ventilation maintenance herself. Together, these costs would be currently approx 1500e yearly. Furthermore, if anything goes wrong with the house, she has to pay for it. Currently the council are responsible for everything I've mentioned.

She's decided not to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Shauna677

Sounds like its a tenancy and you bound by their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jack Neary

No ...so the chronic anti social behaviour in An Chareil Boyle has been dealt with.

Video evidence etc provided to tuath housing Galway and they ignored it

The same video evidence is going to be uploaded to show exactly what to expect from tuath ,in the coming weeks

Tuath treat their tenants with contempt

But tuaths is about to get a serious wake up call

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Phillipa Rothchild

Tuath - could not give a monkies about any bad behaviour: their answer is :- sort it out among yourselves. The house are thrown up with mika plastering ie sub standard building products which will last no time and plumbing is a joke: no play areas. they receive huge government grants, huge profit making housing industry group, under guise of 'housing for all' - now all over ireland :- ZERO regulation. People are getting thrown into them by unhelpful councils :- be very careful about accepting one of these lego land houses - among very very unhappy people:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dapop

Tuath are a AHB and are governed by the Residential Tenancies Act so obliged to resolve anti social behaviour. Not saying they always do but they cannot just tell tenants to resolve it themselves.

AHB's are not for profit organisations who are strictly regulated by their regulator AHBRA.

It is true that AHB's take nominations from the relevant council housing list as part of the funding model;

AHB's source funding through the Housing Finance Agency to buy or build housing stock and have to re-pay these loans. The councils enter into (generally 25 year) leasing agreements with the AHB that guarantees the cashflow for the AHB to service the loan and the council gets a secure supply of modern social housing. Tenants also pay a differential rent to the AHB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

It's a great deal if you can get it...and you're not the one who pays for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rowantree18

I know. I'm one of the get up early crowd. The person I'm referring to has more discretionary spending money than me - lashes, nails, brows, holidays. But what do you do? I've no answer. Leave people homeless? I just don't know. I've no answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Inforapenny

Tuath shouldn't be allowed sell houses to tenants, if so, it should be at market rates.

Spent 500k on a new build house in a new build estate. Turns out Tuath & other social housing bodies have taken over a good few houses.

Our mortgage interest (interest only portion) weekly payments are more than what those in the Tuath houses are paying for weekly rent.

How could they ever consider selling houses to tenants worth that much on the basis the tenant wouldn't have the funds to pay for the market value, or if they did, then they shouldnt have been in the social house in the first place.

As per the poster above, the get up early and out to work brigade have less disposable income then those getting social houses who pay minimal rent and still can work.

This is all true, but it's nothing new. The current model of social housing in Ireland is ethically bankrupt. Houses and apartments are given to people for a song whereas those who do not qualify must either pay decades long mortgages or huge monthly rents for accommodation that is probably of lower quality. Even worse, the state uses the taxes of the latter group to buy and rent housing for the former, even further inflating the costs.

It's nothing new, but it's also no less egregious.

I think we all have a story like that, and it's a part of a much larger issue with the West. After decades of social welfare, we now have hundreds of thousands of people whose very survival is dependent on a system that is unsustainable, and that's just in Ireland. The qualification for housing assistance is now close to the average yearly salary in Ireland. That is insane.

Honestly, I don't think that there is a simple solution for this. More than likely, the system will continue to decay in the years to come until it eventually ceases to function altogether. I'm not at all optimistic about the future of the West, which is one of the many reasons why I have remained childless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JCN12

Life has transcended much more than not being able to get social welfare payments or an economic collapse.

If one doesn't want children, that's fair enough. Maybe it's better for society if certain types of people don't procreate. But this new trend of attributing deliberate childlessness to climate change and economic uncertainty is horse manure. 💩💩💩

Advertisement