Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best areas in Dublin 3/5 for budget of €500k?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What about the St Anne's estate the old corpo houses, they're lovely. Not sure what they cost nowadays though. I'm from Brookwood, and it's a 10 min walk to St Anne's from pretty much all of the area. Out of my price range though as I was buying alone so Edenmore for me, a bit more rustic, but still only 12 min walk to dart.
    It cost me less than 30k to completely gut a house and have it reinsulated and floored and everything, are people really paying 100k to have houses done up?!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

What about the St Anne's estate the old corpo houses, they're lovely. Not sure what they cost nowadays though. I'm from Brookwood, and it's a 10 min walk to St Anne's from pretty much all of the area. Out of my price range though as I was buying alone so Edenmore for me, a bit more rustic, but still only 12 min walk to dart.
    It cost me less than 30k to completely gut a house and have it reinsulated and floored and everything, are people really paying 100k to have houses done up?!

30k just for gutting and re-flooring?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I was in around the same mark to do mine aswel . Edenmore aswel as it happens . Although I'm moving soon :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I was in around the same mark to do mine aswel . Edenmore aswel as it happens . Although I'm moving soon :-(

No issues with the area I hope.

No issues with the area I hope.

God no . Loved it and the neighbours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

God no . Loved it and the neighbours

Only place I've ever lived where neighbours just do nice things for me like bring my bins in or trim my hedges even sometimes.
    Loads of people wouldn't live there because it has a bad name but my mortgage repayments are around half of most people's monthly rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Only place I've ever lived where neighbours just do nice things for me like bring my bins in or trim my hedges even sometimes.
    Loads of people wouldn't live there because it has a bad name but my mortgage repayments are around half of most people's monthly rent!

In Kilbarrack myself and would say the same. Maybe I'm lucky but next door and the house behind are lovely. The three neighbours across are an old couple that's been here since just after is was fields, a guy who could not be more helpful with projects, seems to know everyone and a guy who works from home who is lovely too. There's a resident's group that plant flowers and tidy the place up.

My only gripes are litter and people just don't give a flying youknowwhat about their dogs being out all day barking, thankfully though (touch wood) it's been years since we've had a problem at night.

The council bought the house a few doors up and there was a bit of a worry there for a while, new girl and the family moved in, not a peep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I used to rent that Ardcollum Ave house, ha. Me and 2 friends about 15 years ago. Jesus we had some crazy times in there, neighbours weren't too keen on us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,536 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

In Kilbarrack myself and would say the same. Maybe I'm lucky but next door and the house behind are lovely. The three neighbours across are an old couple that's been here since just after is was fields, a guy who could not be more helpful with projects, seems to know everyone and a guy who works from home who is lovely too. There's a resident's group that plant flowers and tidy the place up.

My only gripes are litter and people just don't give a flying youknowwhat about their dogs being out all day barking, thankfully though (touch wood) it's been years since we've had a problem at night.

The council bought the house a few doors up and there was a bit of a worry there for a while, new girl and the family moved in, not a peep.

Any problems like this in the area will be non-existant in ten years time. Eastside areas are incredibly popular with young civic minded family people that care about the areas they're living in and they lead by example. The local minorities that previously may have misbehaved grow up and change their ways and within a very short timeframe you're in a mature, settled area.
    brisan wrote: »
    If anyone pays 415k for Mask avenue they want their head examined

Lets revisit this in a few years time!!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Any problems like this in the area will be non-existant in ten years time. Eastside areas are incredibly popular with young civic minded family people that care about the areas they're living in and they lead by example. The local minorities that previously may have misbehaved grow up and change their ways and within a very short timeframe you're in a mature, settled area.

Lets revisit this in a few years time!!

In a few years time you could be paying 415 k for a one bed cottage in the arsehole of Leitrim
    In the here and now anybody that pays 415k for Mask Avenue needs their head examined
    Much better value in the area

In a few years time you could be paying 415 k for a one bed cottage in the arsehole of Leitrim
    In the here and now anybody that pays 415k for Mask Avenue needs their head examined
    Much better value in the area

Fair enough, but I've had people tell me that every time I've bought a property. Stick up a property that's better value in the area.

I find it funny. It brings me back to whats a good area and whats a bad area.

You would have no issue whatsoever living in Mask Ave compared to Brookwood/Rosemont (both lovely btw)

Both same general area with same amenities close by.

Its clearly a snobby issue as Mask Ave originally had corpo houses when built. Thats all .

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Have to agree with that
    St Brigid's estate is also good or families

Been here 5 years, it's a great estate

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/12-st-brigids-close-killester-dublin-5/4459853

Fair enough, but I've had people tell me that every time I've bought a property. Stick up a property that's better value in the area.

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-29-the-pines-killester-co-dublin/2612915

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-4-mcauley-drive-artane-co-dublin/2607664

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-5-brookwood-grove-artane-co-dublin/2622061

https://touch.daft.ie/property-for-sale/dublin-5-dublin/houses?salePrice_to=425000&numBeds_from=3

A lot more of you check the last link
    I’ve lived in the area for over 20 years and my wife was born and reared around the corner from mask

grahamor wrote: »

One of the few houses in that estate with a good front and back garden
    Parking on the road is a major pain in that estate but apart from that it’s a great estate with mostly great neighbours
    I know a few on there

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-29-the-pines-killester-co-dublin/2612915

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-4-mcauley-drive-artane-co-dublin/2607664

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-5-brookwood-grove-artane-co-dublin/2622061

https://touch.daft.ie/property-for-sale/dublin-5-dublin/houses?salePrice_to=425000&numBeds_from=3

A lot more of you check the last link
    I’ve lived in the area for over 20 years and my wife was born and reared around the corner from mask

Yep. You're right. They're all better value.

I find it funny. It brings me back to whats a good area and whats a bad area.

You would have no issue whatsoever living in Mask Ave compared to Brookwood/Rosemont (both lovely btw)

Both same general area with same amenities close by.

Its clearly a snobby issue as Mask Ave originally had corpo houses when built. Thats all .

It’s not snobby it’s just value for money
    Brookwood houses are bigger and slightly better built except for the split bathroom
    Brookwood houses hold their value better
    Granted only a stones throw from each other and all amenities are the same

Yep. You're right. They're all better value.

Do the links not work ?
    On a phone and using the Daft mobile app
    I’ll post on a PC later

• Advertisement

It’s not snobby it’s just value for money
    Brookwood houses are bigger and slightly better built except for the split bathroom
    Brookwood houses hold their value better
    Granted only a stones throw from each other and all amenities are the same

Yeah you're right actually. But that estate agent really over prices their properties. I've never seen one sell for near that on Mask Ave

Yeah you're right actually. But that estate agent really over prices their properties. I've never seen one sell for near that on Mask Ave

And that one will not get next to near 415
    There are houses in Belmont , Brookwood Grove , Maryfield ,Abbey Park and the pines for 10 k more
    St David’s Park and more

Do the links not work ?
    On a phone and using the Daft mobile app
    I’ll post on a PC later

They did!! I'm not taking the piss, they ARE better value. You proved me wrong!

They did!! I'm not taking the piss, they ARE better value. You proved me wrong!

Apologies if I took you up wrong
    I just think at 415k that property is at least 70k overpriced
    Maybe I’ll be proved wrong but I’ve no idea what the EA was thinking
    I have dealt with them before and found them reasonable enough for an EA

Apologies if I took you up wrong
    I just think at 415k that property is at least 70k overpriced
    Maybe I’ll be proved wrong but I’ve no idea what the EA was thinking
    I have dealt with them before and found them reasonable enough for an EA

This seems to be their strategy. Maybe it makes people think they are getting a great deal if they get it under asking

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/58-tonlegee-drive-raheny-dublin-5/4465089

Here's another example. Nice house but overpriced IMO

This seems to be their strategy. Maybe it makes people think they are getting a great deal if they get it under asking

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/58-tonlegee-drive-raheny-dublin-5/4465089

Here's another example. Nice house but overpriced IMO
    Yes Liz is losing the run of herself with that one too
    Raheny , Malahide road all in the blurb but overpriced for where it is

grahamor wrote: »

I remember when that was all fields! We used to build fires in there.

I remember when that was all fields! We used to build fires in there.

Houses and apartments going up in St Marys Convent across the road
    Neighbours not in the least bit happy

Houses and apartments going up in St Marys Convent across the road
    Neighbours not in the least bit happy

Yes my friend's ma lives in the one big house beside the entrance, I think they got some money for disruption/land.
    Are they converting the old convent into apartments? Creepy!

• Advertisement

Yes my friend's ma lives in the one big house beside the entrance, I think they got some money for disruption/land.
    Are they converting the old convent into apartments? Creepy!

Knocking down the extension on the convent and putting 2 and 3 bed apartments into it
    it went to an Bord Pleanala and there are some onerous restrictions on the houses
    Attics can never be converted,only one car parking space per unit and you cannot sell,rent or lease your car parking space
    Buying a house for over 600k and only allowed one car

http://pleanala.ie/casenum/303146.htm

Advertisement