Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New property Mortgage withdraw after exchange contract

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

awec wrote: »
    It is incredibly unlikely they'd do this. Clause or no clause, if you pull out you are more than likely going to get your deposit back.

The effect of this clause is overstated at times. The biggest risk to your deposit is the developer going bust, and in that scenario this clause is irrelevant.

I would not agree the clause is overstated. It’s one of the most important clauses in a contract and came about after the issues of the market crashing.

Most situations the contract deposit is held on trust with the builders solicitor and auctioneer so the builder only gets the money from HTB and revenue can claw that back if builder went bust.

Even if the deposit is released, homebond can cover loss of deposit where builder goes bust so you get that back. You have more security in those situations.

The clause also relates to issues with the valuation should valuations drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The amount of any deposit made by the Policyholder to a maximum of 10% of the agreed contract price for the Housing Unit.

This is subject to a limit of €30,000 for any one Housing Unit and an aggregate limit of €1,000,000 for any one Developer.

If it appears that the total claims anticipated and paid under Section 1.1 for any one Developer will exceed the limit of €1,000,000, We may, at our discretion, reduce individual claims from all affected Policyholders. This reduction will be calculated by the ratio of total claims to the Limit of Indemnity of €1,000,000 for any one Developer.

The amount of any deposit made by the Policyholder to a maximum of 10% of the agreed contract price for the Housing Unit.

This is subject to a limit of €30,000 for any one Housing Unit and an aggregate limit of €1,000,000 for any one Developer.

If it appears that the total claims anticipated and paid under Section 1.1 for any one Developer will exceed the limit of €1,000,000, We may, at our discretion, reduce individual claims from all affected Policyholders. This reduction will be calculated by the ratio of total claims to the Limit of Indemnity of €1,000,000 for any one Developer.

Thanks for that.

When we were looking a new build it was stated in contracts that the deposit would be released up to the amount covered by homebond and the rest would be held as stakeholder by the solicitor. Our solicitor had the condition removed so it was all held by the stakeholder but I didn’t know the exact amounts that were covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 c00114110

Would you mind to explain this in understandable English?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

c00114110 wrote: »
    Would you mind to explain this in understandable English?:confused::confused:

If the builder has 2m in deposits held and he goes bust the buyers will only get half their money back
    Its 1 million divided by the number of deposits (assuming they all paid the same amount )
    Basically pro rata

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 c00114110

brisan wrote: »
    If the builder has 2m in deposits held and he goes bust the buyers will only get half their money back
    Its 1 million divided by the number of deposits (assuming they all paid the same amount )
    Basically pro rata

Thanks for the explanation. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jack842

We had this clause in our contract (new build house in estate of 100 houses) when we bought our house last year. It was in everyone's contract and builders solicitors refused to remove it for anyone. Multiple people tried.

It wasn't a problem in the end for us. I doubt the builder would actually hold onto your deposit if your mortgage approval has issues. But it's your decision to accept the cause or walk away and find another house.

jack842 wrote: »
    We had this clause in our contract (new build house in estate of 100 houses) when we bought our house last year. It was in everyone's contract and builders solicitors refused to remove it for anyone. Multiple people tried.

It wasn't a problem in the end for us. I doubt the builder would actually hold onto your deposit if your mortgage approval has issues. But it's your decision to accept the cause or walk away and find another house.

You doubt the builder would hold on to the deposit
    Some builders will hand the deposit back
    At the end of the day you are gambling with what could possibly be 3 or 4 years saving for some people and losing any chance of ever owning a home
    Yes the odds of getting the money back may be in your favour but it’s still a gamble and you have to take the risk
    That’s why a lot of buyers solicitors will not agree to the clause
    I know I never would and I have advised my 3 kids the same when they purchased

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jack842

You doubt the builder would hold on to the deposit
    Some builders will hand the deposit back
    At the end of the day you are gambling with what could possibly be 3 or 4 years saving for some people and losing any chance of ever owning a home
    Yes the odds of getting the money back may be in your favour but it’s still a gamble and you have to take the risk
    That’s why a lot of buyers solicitors will not agree to the clause
    I know I never would and I have advised my 3 kids the same when they purchased

Yes it may be a small one but it's certainly a risk. It depends on how badly the op wants the house. If they walk away i'm sure the builder is not going to have much trouble finding someone to take their place. New builds are in demand and the builders know it.

jack842 wrote: »
    Yes it may be a small one but it's certainly a risk. It depends on how badly the op wants the house. If they walk away i'm sure the builder is not going to have much trouble finding someone to take their place. New builds are in demand and the builders know it.

It’s a risk ( no matter how small ) and you the OP will have to decide to take or not to take the risk
    His solicitor is doing his job and covering himself by trying to get the clause removed and advising his client

• Advertisement

You need to look at who is holding the deposit. In some case it is held by someone as stakeholder but not always.

You need to look at who is holding the deposit. In some case it is held by someone as stakeholder but not always.

Even if held by a stakeholder if it says non-refundable in the contract then the builder is within his rights to demand the deposit if the purchaser pulls out of the contract
    Being held by a stakeholder is only good if the builder goes bust
    Bad publicity for the builder but if he has a waiting list for cancellations he may do it

Even if held by a stakeholder if it says non-refundable in the contract then the builder is within his rights to demand the deposit if the purchaser pulls out of the contract
    Being held by a stakeholder is only good if the builder goes bust
    Bad publicity for the builder but if he has a waiting list for cancellations he may do it

There can't be a non-refundable booking deposit. If the buyer pulls out after both sides have signed the contract, the deposit can be forfeit. Builders are also including clause prohibiting assignment so the buyer can't sell on to get their deposit back from a substitute purchaser.

There can't be a non-refundable booking deposit. If the buyer pulls out after both sides have signed the contract, the deposit can be forfeit. Builders are also including clause prohibiting assignment so the buyer can't sell on to get their deposit back from a substitute purchaser.

There can be a refundable deposit
    Examples can be found if you trawl through the currently buying a house thread ,you will find them
    The second post in this thread is an example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

You can still recover deposit at this point, correct? I'd be inclined to walk away. There will be other opportunities without the risk.
    I guess banks are not helpful on this lead time issue?

Most builders could easily manage this by asking for a bigger deposit or different rules around refunding in exchange for the clause, or a clause where they can also back out as described by another poster.

It has all the hallmarks of the selfishness and arrogance that got developers into NAMA before. Although I acknowledge one poster claims it could be a restriction placed on builder by their financer - but it is still a load of nonsense which does not reflect real life cash position of 99% of people living in the country.

There will be other opportunities without the risk.

😎

There can be a refundable deposit
    Examples can be found if you trawl through the currently buying a house thread ,you will find them
    The second post in this thread is an example

Booking deposits are always refundable. Contract deposits are not, unless by agreement. It would never be the case that a contract will be signed allowing for a change of mind and a deposit refund.

Booking deposits are always refundable. Contract deposits are not, unless by agreement. It would never be the case that a contract will be signed allowing for a change of mind and a deposit refund.

That’s correct. The loan clause only can be activated if something outside your control happens that you cannot draw down funds from your bank - it’s not if you change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

awec wrote: »
    It is incredibly unlikely they'd do this. Clause or no clause, if you pull out you are more than likely going to get your deposit back.

The effect of this clause is overstated at times. The biggest risk to your deposit is the developer going bust, and in that scenario this clause is irrelevant.

I think you are very bullish to assume if for some reason you have to pull out of the transaction because your mortgage approval fell through or expired, the developer will just hand you back a sizeable 5 figure sum that legally they are entitled to keep.

Some developers would be socially conscious, and if the development is oversubscribed and the buyer makes enough noise they would likely get it back, but the circumstances which might cause an approval to fall through, job losses, widespread economic downturn etc, are exactly the circumstances which put pressure on property developers so it is very cavalier to assume you’ll get it back.

If this was a few hundred or a couple or grand for a smaller purchase like a car or a sofa I might agree with your stance, but I asssume this is the OP’s life savings you’re talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

How watertight is your Approval In Principal OP? Can the bank amend the offer between now and when you will be closing (which lets face it, the three people I know who bought a new build in the past 2 years faced a lengthy delay on their initial "move in" date).

If they can alter, Its not even the risk of losing your job or circumstances changing that could scupper you. The banks could offer max LTV ratios, they may be pickier with who they actually give money to, they might stop advancing credit altogether (small risk but there are rumours Ulster Bank are eyeing the exit door for example). In the event the banks dont advance credit to you, I wouldn't see the builder giving back the deposit as it's very likely they'll be in trouble themselves in such a scenario. This isn't to scaremonger or an opinion of what I think will happen but just to be aware of the risks.

Tough decision because if they won't budge and there aren't many new builds in the area, there will likely be plenty more to step in your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Is the subject to loan clause generally for new builds only? Or all houses?

• Advertisement

zootroid wrote: »
    Is the subject to loan clause generally for new builds only? Or all houses?

All houses but it tends to always be accepted in second hand sales. Whereas builders are more reluctant to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

We're in a similar situation to the OP. We had an offer accepted on a new build about a month ago. When the contract came through, our solicitor advised us not to proceed as the developer's solicitor would not agree to the subject to loan clause being included. We contacted the estate agent to see what he could do. He told us that the developer had reluctantly agreed to the clause and their solicitor would be in touch. This was 2 weeks ago, but still our solicitor has heard nothing, so we're starting to get nervous about it now.

Advertisement