Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann to shut down route 5

Options
  • 24-02-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

As the title states. The Dublin bus link to go.

I know a few folk who use the bus as it is faster than the train for the most part.
    Is this another nail in the coffin of the sunny south east.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

garp wrote: »
    As the title states. The Dublin bus link to go.

I know a few folk who use the bus as it is faster than the train for the most part.
    Is this another nail in the coffin of the sunny south east.?
    This is the route up through Ennisiorthy not the main M9 route which I doubt effects anyone in Waterford.
    In fact the only difference will be the M9 Wat Dub route is now going to start in New Ross and go through Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Getting the 5 up to Dublin was always a grim experience. Meandering its way up the country, stopping at every little village, with the driver allowing people take smoke breaks at every stop. With traffic coming into Dublin, you'd be looking at over 4 hours for the trip. I won't lament the loss of that route...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hardly a nail in the coffin, you have a new Dublin coach route which came online few weeks back which is

Waterford to Kilkenny to Dublin, no other stops, goes the motorway the entire way.

It's new services like this that make much slower routes unattractive to people, 2hour trip versus almost 4hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

If Clonroche, Bunclody, Tullow are cut out then all those students that normally get the bus to Dublin on a Sunday evening are going to be going to Carlow or getting the 2 from Enniscorthy. Will they run extra buses or are there going to be ten or twelve people left standing on the side of the road?. The last time I tried to get the train from Carlow it was standing room only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

It's not being cut but being reduced in frequency!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Won't have any impact on waterford but will hit some rural communities along that route fairly hard. I once took the 5 from Dublin to New Ross and it really was painful. Only minor thing may be some timetable changes on route 4

It's not being cut but being reduced in frequency!

Where did you get this information?, I emailed Bus Eireann and they gave a generic response and any information in the media says that it is going to be axed completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

That route is the nearest thing to hell you're likely to encounter on a bus. Awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That route is the nearest thing to hell you're likely to encounter on a bus. Awful!
    especially when it hits arklow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Seanachai wrote: »
    Where did you get this information?, I emailed Bus Eireann and they gave a generic response and any information in the media says that it is going to be axed completely.

The media will only report what they are told. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I think it's all well and good us only thinking about this service as one that we can use to get to Dublin.

BUT

What about all the W.I.T. students coming down through Wicklow and Wexford that would get this bus regularly. Not to mention the fact that it now makes Waterford City a lot less accessible by bus for many people in the South East which is a region we are suppose to be the capitol of..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

O Riain wrote: »
    I think it's all well and good us only thinking about this service as one that we can use to get to Dublin.

BUT

What about all the W.I.T. students coming down through Wicklow and Wexford that would get this bus regularly.

Very true. I read an article in the Independent about this route and it was all about students "getting to Dublin". Nothing at all about WIT students, as if they didn't exist in their own fcuking backyard! :mad:

Not to mention the fact that it now makes Waterford City a lot less accessible by bus for many people in the South East which is a region we are suppose to be the capitol of..

Very true, but the country's current administrative setup doesn't designate any such thing as a regional "capital". We make that claim based on the services we provide to the region, but the attitude of central government appears to lie somewhere between benign neglect and a cynical attempt at outright dismantling when it comes to the services provided out of here.

BUT

What about all the W.I.T. students coming down through Wicklow and Wexford that would get this bus regularly. Not to mention the fact that it now makes Waterford City a lot less accessible by bus for many people in the South East which is a region we are suppose to be the capitol of..
    While I understand what you're saying in principle, you're making it sound as if this bus was teeming with people from Wicklow and Wexford wanting to get to Waterford.

In reality, I'd be surprised if more than a handful of people are affected by this move. If people really need to get to Waterford, they still have options. They can go to the nearest stop serviced by Wexford Bus and then get the 40 to Waterford, or if a train station is nearer they can get the Rosslare train that stops at Wexford and then get the 40 to Waterford there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

AdMMM wrote: »
    While I understand what you're saying in principle, you're making it sound as if this bus was teeming with people from Wicklow and Wexford wanting to get to Waterford.

In reality, I'd be surprised if more than a handful of people are affected by this move. If people really need to get to Waterford, they still have options. They can go to the nearest stop serviced by Wexford Bus and then get the 40 to Waterford, or if a train station is nearer they can get the Rosslare train that stops at Wexford and then get the 40 to Waterford there.

The issue is with small communities like Clonroche, Ferns, Camolin, Bunclody this will wipe them off the map.

Gael23 wrote: »
    The issue is with small communities like Clonroche, Ferns, Camolin, Bunclody this will wipe them off the map.
    Ferns and Camolin are both serviced by Wexford Bus 14 times daily from what I can see.

As for the other communities, if there's enough people affected you can guarantee that some entrepreneurial person or existing business will step in to provide some kind of service. It could be as official as a group like Wexford Bus sending 1 in every 5 of their buses through those areas, or as unofficial as a guy who knows a guy with a minibus who'd provide a shuttle to the nearest operating Bus Eireann/Wexford Bus stop.

especially when it hits arklow

That's the 2 that goes through Arklow along the coast road, the 5 travels through West Wicklow, Blessington, Annalecky , Baltinglass etc. It's pretty scenic when the weather's good. A lot of the people from North Wexford will probably have to get the 4 from Carlow and that route is grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 yellowbelly

The media will only report what they are told. ;)[/quotE

I think it is a disgrace that they are going to discontinue the route 5 I travel that route frequently on the weekends as a substantial no of passengers use that route...students going to waterford will be affected. .. towns like Tullow Bunclody and Baltinglass will also be affected. . there did not seem to be any consultation that this route was going to be dropped and passengers are still unsure when the route is going to be discontinued. .. I wonder if bus eireann would consider keeping this route operating at weekends. .

I think it is a disgrace that they are going to discontinue the route 5 I travel that route frequently on the weekends as a substantial no of passengers use that route...students going to waterford will be affected. .. towns like Tullow Bunclody and Baltinglass will also be affected. . there did not seem to be any consultation that this route was going to be dropped and passengers are still unsure when the route is going to be discontinued. .. I wonder if bus eireann would consider keeping this route operating at weekends. .

The weekend option would seem like the best we can hope for at this stage unless the government step in with funding. Given that they aren't exactly the most compassionate government we've ever had this is unlikely :o ( unless they use it for vote buying close to the election ). There was a meeting in Bunclody last week but I haven't found out what the outcome was yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Does anyone know when this service is expected to be cut?
    I was planning on using it tomorrow, its still running at the moment... right?

• Advertisement

Hi I think it was the end of the month of March before service was to be discontinued. ...

Advertisement