Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

!!Macht schnell!!!

• 11-07-2004 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hello all

Anyone ever have any trouble with Customs before?

I'm thinking of buying a model replica of an antigue Rifle and I'm just wondering if I'd have any trouble. Dont want it to be confiscated as it's very expensive.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Gavin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

just make sure they know you are not a gun nut:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    just make sure they know you are not a gun nut:p

yeah & make your not some neo nazi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

I'm not a neo nazi.

And please don't use such strong words, even as a joke

That sort of attitude leads to Genocide you know. Judging others without proper reason. I 'm guessing you know next to nothing about Nazism , let alone Neo Nazism.

Gavin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Micheal Wittman
    That sort of attitude leads to Genocide you know.

Careful now....
    Possibly, it was a joke.

Anyway, why don't you contact customs and ask them?
    They'd probably know best plus you could tell them your intentions so that they will be expecting a gun coming their way.
    I would also speak to the Gardai about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Careful now....
    Possibly, it was a joke.

possibly that Michael Wittmann was a nazi war hero and the desire to buy a replica (kar98??) rifle, coupled with screaming of German orders like a Nazi concentration camp guard (kudos Berlusconi) would lead to some people wondering what kind of charater this person has.

• Advertisement

Kar 98? Who said it was a Kar 98 he was after? Or are you just showcasing your knowledge of WWII through playing Medal of Honour through which the Kar-98 is most widely known today?
    The Kar-98 was just one weapon used during the war, and not the most common. I think you are assuming it's a KAR because that's the only weapon of the era you know the name of. (Rob 1891 begins google search)

Michael Wittmann was a Tank Commander who served his country well from 1939 through 1944 when he was killed in combat in command of his tank.

You may not realise with the mass of knowledge you have attained through MOH that not all German soldiers were obsessed Hitlerites, most were just ordinary soldiers thrown into combat whether they liked it or not and told to fight.

he's looking for a kar98, google for Herr Krupp of Essen. I don't know much about Medal of Honor, though I do know how to google.

You have a teenage boy who likes the history of the Third Reich to the extent that he wants to create some kind of immersion in it by owning rifles and submachine guns from the period. If he's not moved on from glorifing nazi propoganda icons like Wittmann, to the Nazis themselves then that's good but he's still got a childish obsession with guns & war.

Again, as I posted, given the name, the subject and the german gun its a pretty reasonable to ask if the post is some kind of nazi worshipper.

Rob

oh yeah, and fuck you for the personal insults ;)

he's looking for a kar98

Again, where did he mention that he was buying the KAR-98 specifically?
    Come on, SHOW ME WHERE HE MENTIONED IT!

Don't bother sending me to the Krupps website, it's just a website.
    ("Wow, look at me, I can find stuff!")

So you would say that, for example, a Professor of History who has a particular interest in WWII has a "childish obsession"
    Do the countless people who write about the history WWII also have a childish obsession?

a "childish obsession with guns and war?
    Or maybe he's just INTERESTED IN HISTORY ?!?!?!
    Interested in having a piece of history?
    Not even in fact, he's looking for a replica of a piece of history.

Can you have an interest in WWII without being a gun nut? D'ya think?
    You're making the assumption that he is purchasing it in order to 'worship' it as a symbol of Nazism when you have absolutely no information to base that on.

Read his post again;
    "model replica of an......."

Duh, it's a model?
    It's a replica?
    "likes the history of the third Reich?"

Where did he mention that he "likes the 3rd Reich? Why are you making assumptions that he is skinheaded, tight-jeans-wearing Nazi?
    AGAIN, WHERE DID HE MENTION THAT? SHOW ME!

Given the name?
    He has more honourable name than you'll ever attain I can tell you.
    oh yeah, and **** you for the personal insults

Pithy comeback. Please play again, moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Put down your hand bags now girls :rolleyes:

Anyway, ring customs and ask them they’ll let you know one way or the other.

Originally posted by Doc
    Put down your hand bags now girls :rolleyes:

I'LL SCRATCH YOUR EYES OUT DOC!

• Advertisement

flamebait ... cheers and good day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cleareyed

Another wonderful troll.
    Wittmann is an excellent nick for a troll especially since you are rabbiting on about some Nazi war criminal.
    On the question: I thought all replica weapons were illegal in Ireland. Might try www.statutebook.ie to confirm.
    Oh Wittmann: your namesake got what he deserved. Pity it took so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    I'LL SCRATCH YOUR EYES OUT DOC!

Dose somebody need a hug?

I think you need a hug.

You hug you screen and Ill hug mine and we can have a cyber hug!

;)

Originally posted by Doc
    Dose somebody need a hug?

I think you need a hug.

You hug you screen and Ill hug mine and we can have a cyber hug!

;)

aaah, no, you're grand thanks.
    I have no guarantee that it's your arms you'll be putting up to the screen ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Again, where did he mention that he was buying the KAR-98 specifically?
    Come on, SHOW ME WHERE HE MENTIONED IT!
    Here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172700

Advertisement