Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

picking arrows

Options
  • 25-10-2006 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

at the moment i have very thin triples (carbon/alu).

never really shoot outdoors, and am thinking of getting a set of thicker arrows cos i dont really like the thin ones.

any help/opinions?

pulling 34lbs draw lenght 30-30.5 or so...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

I use X7 for indoors. In a handy and strange co-incidence the Easton Arrow Selector Program thing says that for X7 both my compound and recurve setup need 2212 spines! Handy that!

For your setup the same program says 2014 or 2112 for X7.

Program can be downloaded from http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

In The Heretic Archer, Vittorio Frangilli states that any gains made from shooting a thick X7 indoors are lost due to the lower speed compared to the ACE (or Triple in your case). I myself shoot X7s indoors, mostly because they are cheap, so I can bang them together on the same target (I really don't like 3-spots) without it costing me a fortune. Frangilli's world indoor record was shot with ACEs, IIRC. The Triple is a fine arrow, I've shot 1100s with them outdoors, and they should perform well indoors as well, perhaps with slightly larger fletches to get them straightened out quicker. If you want to save your Triples from grouping damage, by all means shoot X7s, but don't shoot X7s for their line breaking ability alone, it seems to be a bit of a false economy.

Ewan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 AceCarey

I would agree with that there another thing you can do is use spinwings, that is if your not using them alread. With higher poundage im told thay fligh well. Altho be careful about using spinwings thay can get damaged easly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Kadeshh

i use spinwings and they constantly fall apart. they are awful.

someone will say it due to clearence problems blah blah blah and it is but i've yet to sort those out shooting any type of bow or arrow in the last 5 years.

ive used feather vanes before and i like them cos they dont break and can just be brushed back together after a shot.

I use feather vanes as well, but only because they were on the arrows already and I'm lazy. I find that over time they develop different shapes to each other though! Does this matter? When they start to fly are they all pushed into the same shape or is it time to get un-lazy and re-fletch them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 AceCarey

As far as i know a fletch only tranversly effects the flight of an arrow if a piece of the fletch is hanging off of it. I dont know if feather vanes obay the same rules, but then again its all the same priceapal realy.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

I have been shooting Kurly Vanes since the summer, they are working out really well. Only one of them is showing and signs of ware, shooting it into the ground probably would account for that:rolleyes:

quigo wrote:
    I have been shooting Kurly Vanes since the summer

Been meaning to ask about Kurly Vanes actually. Are they worth the effort? If they are then my next paycheque will go towards them. Do they clear the bow well? In terms of a compound fork rest, is it easy to tune them to leave the bow easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

They haven't give me any problems with clearance as they curl around the arrow. The only problem that I have had with them is that they stick together in a tubo or in my quiver. Talcon powder of all things fixed this. They are simple to apply and have a clean finish when using the application tape. K vanes are said to be more durable, i just prefer the look of the Kurlys :D

There is an article here about how great they are :rolleyes: from the manufacturers........ apparently they are excellent when used with a compound.

http://www.altservices.biz/cgi-bin/start.cgi/kurlyvanes/main.htm?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

For a compound stick with Feathers or Plastifletches.

The only reason Chris White is using them is because he is sponsored by Altservices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Catarcher

a

Advertisement