Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bill from three for sim never used

Options
  • 13-08-2020 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

i got an upgrede with three a while back and it looks as if they set up a new number with the upgrade. there were two payments coming from my account and they could never tell me what the second one was for. i stopped the payment and i have since moved to another provider with my existing number. shortly after i stopped the payment i got a call from a customer services agent looking for payment. i explained to him the case and asked him was the number ever used and he said no. thats a few months ago and i am after getting a bill in through the door for over €280. part of me is thinking just to ignore it but i dont want to get a solicitors letter or a bad credit rating.
    any advice on what to do? can i request a copy of the original contract to see if they have one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

ask for a copy of the contract that you signed up for

or a copy of the recording of the phonecall with the sale.

that will sort the problem quickly. But don't ignore it or you will end up with a solicitors letter in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

ok, so i wrote to three looking for a copy of the contract and received a letter back last week dated 2/9/2020.
    Funny thing is i got a letter today from CMOS (credit management company) looking for payment or threatening legal action!
    in the letter from three they say that i signed contract on date in 2015 and 2017 (they gave exact dates). these dates coincide with the dates that i last upgraded my phone with them. i have only had and used one number and its not the number that they are referring to. to me it looks like they sold me a new phone with a new number in 2015 and have it on their system since then.
    Also in their letter they asked me for my email address so they could send me a copy of the contract - dont know why they would write to me looking for my email address so the could email something to me.
    so i wrote back to them last week with my email address and waiting to hear back. i have also asked for copies of all bills which will show for sure if the number was ever used.
    bit pissed of with the letter from credit management crowd today. i am going to write to them telling that i am disputing the bill
    anyone any thoughts/opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah ignore the credit crowd, you have nothing to do with them.

How the phone crowd processed a new contract instead of an upgrade for you is puzzling. Could be a mistake, could be a dodgy staff member trying to hit a target. Have you been receiving 2 separate bill since 2015? Either way, there could be a nice little refund coming your way.

theteal wrote: »
    Yeah ignore the credit crowd, you have nothing to do with them.

How the phone crowd processed a new contract instead of an upgrade for you is puzzling. Could be a mistake, could be a dodgy staff member trying to hit a target. Have you been receiving 2 separate bill since 2015? Either way, there could be a nice little refund coming your way.

I have only ever received one bill for this account about a month ago. Now that i say that, i dont know how they got my home address as i never received a bill from them before and when i upgraded before i would have lived at a different address. I checked com reg website and i have sent three a letter to say i am disputing the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Don’t ignore this! They have put your details on to a database called Credit Insights saying you have defaulted on a “debt owed to them” which will affect you when it comes to signing up to Eircom or Vodafone (possibly more providers in future)

Comreg and keep bugging Three and the “debt collectors” until this is removed from Credit Insights, your data removed from this “debt collectors” books and a letter from Three putting in writing that you do not owe them any monies and a full apology for their incompetence.

I wish you the best of luck.

• Advertisement

just an update on this. Three sent me a letter reply to my original request looking for a copy of my contract. they wanted me to send them my email address and then they would send me a copy of my contract. I went on to their webchat on their website and gave them my email address but no reply. i then sent them a letter with my email address and asked them to send me a copy of the contract and they replied today saying that they are not obliged to keep a copy of my contract so they dont have it.
    does that mean i dont have a contract with three???

I had a €50 per month contract with O2 a few years ago. I was entering into the final few months of the two years and got a great offer with VF through work. Contacted O2 and asked about buying out my contract, seeing as there were four months left. They advised I could buy out the contract for €200!

I said that's not buying out the contract, that's paying it in full. The rep told me I could downgrade to their lowest tarriff of €10 per month and then cancel, meaning I'd be able to 'buy it out' for €30. Asked him to do that, then switched to VF.

Got a bill for €200 at the end of the month. Rang up and argued my case. They denied that the downgrading and then switching to VF tactic was possible and that nobody would suggest that. Asked them to check the recordings of previous calls and they refused. I told them I refused to pay until they did. Stalemate.

A further three months down the line and I get a letter from a collection agency for €350+, which included penalties and interest etc. Phoned them up and explained the situation...i.e. "I owe them €30, and am willing to pay it, but no more". They said they'd check with O2 and get back to me. Another 3 months, then rinse and repeat. Same letter, same phone call, same promise to follow it up. Same again then 3 months later. Insisted I speak to somebody senior, told them if they kept up with the letters I'd be engaging my own solicitor and filing a harassment claim against them. They could either accept the €30 or stop with the letters. Never heard from them again.

If you're in the right, don't be afraid to dig your heels in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

i then sent them a letter with my email address and asked them to send me a copy of the contract and they replied today saying that they are not obliged to keep a copy of my contract so they dont have it.
    does that mean i dont have a contract with three???

On the face of it there is no contract...you don't have it...they don't have it. If three said it was a verbal contract then you would intuitively expect them to produce a recording of it...but if they don't have that either then what are they basing their demand for bill payment on?

Three are obliged by Comreg regulations (which are presumably based on statute) to provide a contract. AFAIK they can opt to provide it by email.

If there is no contract then on what basis did they hand over your details to a third party debt collector?

The other route to take to get the full story is to do a Data Subject Request under GDPR to get all the info they have on file about your account and how/why they gave your details to CMOS.

For Three to admit that they don't have a copy of the contract is more or less admitting they have broken regulations....but there are no consequences for doing so by the looks of it.

Keep all emails, letters sent/received and transcripts of webchat to back up your story.

Advertisement