Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Vivaro ABS

Options
  • 02-07-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi. My '07 Vivaro failed the test because of what they said is damaged wiring to the front wheel ABS sensor. After servicing it the dealer said the wire had been cut and I would need two new front sensors at a cost of over €500. He didn't say why both front sensors would need to be replaced.

Would it be possible to have the wiring fixed? Or could it be that it was cut deliberately because of some problem with the sensor? The ABS light has been on since I bought it.

Thanks for reading, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY, moved to main forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It should be possible to repair the wiring but a main dealer would never do that.

Go to an auto electrician.

Also price the sensors from a motor factors and verify that the wiring you need is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭kirving

If it was deliberately cut, the ABS ECU will throw up an error.

Doesn't seem to make sense that there would be no errors, but the wiring was "cut". Something more going on there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭User1998

I recently had an ABS wheel sensor and a wheel bearing replaced using brand new parts for €100 all in. Granted this was on a VW Polo, but surely €500 is way too expensive, go to any decent indy mechanics they’ll probably do it for half the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Whocare

Probably cut abs wires because it abs ring broken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

€500 For 2 sensors, ripped off there, common problem those sensors, can't think of the cost from top of my head, guess retail €50 - €60 each. No ABS rings, magnets built into the wheel bearing and the ABS sensor takes a reading from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

Thanks to everyone who replied, apologies for posting in the wrong place.
    If it was deliberately cut, the ABS ECU will throw up an error.

Doesn't seem to make sense that there would be no errors, but the wiring was "cut". Something more going on there I think.

The only thing I see is the ABS light lit up on the dashboard. The cut could be accidental damage, I'm not sure.

I've since priced sensors online at €80 apiece including bearings, so a replacement wouldn't be too bad. I think I'll get an auto electrician to see if it's just damage that can be repaired.

Advertisement