Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Penalty Points - Will I get them??

Options
  • 24-11-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

This morning as I was driving down Constitution Hill in Dublin, a garda alone in a garda car beside me in the lane at the lights motioned for me to put my window down. He then shouted at me for being on the phone (I was holding the phone against the steering wheel while telling a colleague on speaker I couldn't talk as I'd forgotten to plug the hands free in, which I know is wrong and I shouldn't have answered). The garda was loud, angry and redfaced, and shouting at me as I said that I was really very sorry - he yelled at me "you're not sorry, you're just like all the rest, that's three penalty points". I apologised again but he just said "yeah, yeah, yeah", he was really vile and just shouted at me the whole (very short) time. He then had to drive off as his light changed to go right while I was going straight. No conversation about who I was or my license, and I don't know if he was behind/near me for long enough to get the license plate (it's my partner's car but I'm insured on it).

So I'm not sure if they will follow up with penalty points - can they award them in this situation where he was just in the car beside me? I have no idea if he was on duty or not, but he was in uniform in a small garda car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If he didnt take the license then theres no points

Rosey999 wrote: »
    This morning as I was driving down Constitution Hill in Dublin, a garda alone in a garda car beside me in the lane at the lights motioned for me to put my window down. He then shouted at me for being on the phone (I was holding the phone against the steering wheel while telling a colleague on speaker I couldn't talk as I'd forgotten to plug the hands free in, which I know is wrong and I shouldn't have answered). The garda was loud, angry and redfaced, and shouting at me as I said that I was really very sorry - he yelled at me "you're not sorry, you're just like all the rest, that's three penalty points". I apologised again but he just said "yeah, yeah, yeah", he was really vile and just shouted at me the whole (very short) time. He then had to drive off as his light changed to go right while I was going straight. No conversation about who I was or my license, and I don't know if he was behind/near me for long enough to get the license plate (it's my partner's car but I'm insured on it).

So I'm not sure if they will follow up with penalty points - can they award them in this situation where he was just in the car beside me? I have no idea if he was on duty or not, but he was in uniform in a small garda car.

Might have got your number plate on camera or just memorised it. Normally he'd have asked you your name and checked your licence and tax disk, but he obviously didn't have time.

For speeding the notification letter is sent to the owner of the vehicle based on the number plate. So, expect the same I imagine.

Oh, if he was in a garda car and uniform, why would you think he might not be on duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The garda was loud, angry and redfaced, and shouting at me as I said that I was really very sorry - he yelled at me "you're not sorry, you're just like all the rest, that's three penalty points". I apologised again but he just said "yeah, yeah, yeah", he was really vile and just shouted at me the whole (very short) time.

I can understand his frustration I'm sick and tired of watching lads cruising along the motorway while glued to their phones. Hopefully three points will make you think twice in future, no reason what so ever to answer the phone to tell your colleague you couldn't talk that's just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rosey999

Might have got your number plate on camera or just memorised it. Normally he'd have asked you your name and checked your licence and tax disk, but he obviously didn't have time.

For speeding the notification letter is sent to the owner of the vehicle based on the number plate. So, expect the same I imagine.

Oh, if he was in a garda car and uniform, why would you think he might not be on duty?
    I know nothing about the workings of the guards - I have no idea if you can drive your car to/from home for shift, or wear a uniform on the way to/from work.

I know nothing about the workings of the guards - I have no idea if you can drive your car to/from home for shift, or wear a uniform on the way to/from work.

Off duty is a time where they stop being paid. They never stop being gardai.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I can understand his frustration I'm sick and tired of watching lads cruising along the motorway while glued to their phones. Hopefully three points will make you think twice in future, no reason what so ever to answer the phone to tell your colleague you couldn't talk that's just ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with the law and agree I made a mistake answering the phone - however I was looking for advice on the likeliehood of the penalty points, not some keyboard warrioring, though I do hope you've got your buzz for the day. Also I'm not a lad, - biologically or otherwise, nor was I on a motorway, if we do need to get down to the specifics.

Off duty is a time where they stop being paid. They never stop being gardai.

Lol good point.

He wasn't a speed van/car, so wouldn't have flashed the numberplate, and he wasn't alongside me for long. But I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

He wasn't a speed van/car, so wouldn't have flashed the numberplate, and he wasn't alongside me for long. But I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
    Some of their cars have ANPR now, so I wouldn't rely on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I have no problem with the law and agree I made a mistake answering the phone - however I was looking for advice on the likeliehood of the penalty points, not some keyboard warrioring, though I do hope you've got your buzz for the day. Also I'm not a lad, - biologically or otherwise, nor was I on a motorway, if we do need to get down to the specifics.

If you were just looking for advice, why the one-sided narrative/ rant about how rude he was to you? It has nothing to do with whether or not you can be hit with penalty points for the offence? Unless of course you were just being a keyboard warrior?

Whether you like it or not, highlighting dangerous driving practice is always going to stir the ire of people who have been on the receiving end of similar practices. Particularly people who have to attend the scenes of road traffic accidents or runners/ walkers or cyclists who have to share the road with cars.

No idea if you'll get points, but doubt it given that your licence details weren't taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If you were driving down Constitution Hill in Dublin, you are probably a lawyer. Guards tend not to like lawyers so there is a good chance you will be done.

If you were driving down Constitution Hill in Dublin, you are probably a lawyer. Guards tend not to like lawyers so there is a good chance you will be done.

I’m not a lawyer or work in the law but that made me laugh, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

You got away with it, he did not stop you and demand licence or take down any details so its was just a verbal roasting , that's all.

He obviously did not have the time to deal with you or had to go to the Criminal Courts of Justice beside where he gave you a bollocking at the traffic lights.

I would not worry about it, your lucky this time.

Paddigol wrote: »
    If you were just looking for advice, why the one-sided narrative/ rant about how rude he was to you? It has nothing to do with whether or not you can be hit with penalty points for the offence? Unless of course you were just being a keyboard warrior?

Whether you like it or not, highlighting dangerous driving practice is always going to stir the ire of people who have been on the receiving end of similar practices. Particularly people who have to attend the scenes of road traffic accidents or runners/ walkers or cyclists who have to share the road with cars.

No idea if you'll get points, but doubt it given that your licence details weren't taken.

I don't think it was a rant, but I highlighted his manner as I'm a professional and behave as such at work, I would never begin an interaction, even with a colleague or subordinate I was angry with by shouting - it would simply not be acceptable. The police in this country struggle to be respected here in the way police forces are in some other countries. Perhaps if they were given training to conduct themselves in a more professional manner it might help the public perception of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I don't think it was a rant, but I highlighted his manner as I'm a professional and behave as such at work, I would never begin an interaction, even with a colleague or subordinate I was angry with by shouting - it would simply not be acceptable. The police in this country struggle to be respected here in the way police forces are in some other countries. Perhaps if they were given training to conduct themselves in a more professional manner it might help the public perception of them.

The Gardai are sick of people having no regard for the safety of others on our roads. The Gardai are sick of dealing with serious injuries and deaths from RTC's caused by selfish fucks that can't keep a phone out of their hand for five minutes. They're sick of hearing windbags and their excuses for using phones 'Oh I was just...' bollocks.

'Oh I just had to tell my colleague I couldn't talk' Not answering the f'ing phone would have accomplished that.

The selfishness in your post, 'oh the bad man didn't speak nice to me', 'Will I get penalty points', no regard for other road users you could have endangered. Don't give me 'Oh I wasn't distracted' you didn't even see a marked patrol car come alongside you. I bet it wasn't your first time doing it either, only your first time getting caught and you shat yourself you'd get points off the bold Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Is it possible you were distracted by your phone and made a mistake like cutting off the Guard or braking suddenly in front of him? That could explain his demeanour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

There is absolutely zero chance of getting penalty points, it could have been anyone driving your car, they have to obtain your license to know who was the offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Witcher wrote: »
    The Gardai are sick of people having no regard for the safety of others on our roads. The Gardai are sick of dealing with serious injuries and deaths from RTC's caused by selfish fucks that can't keep a phone out of their hand for five minutes. They're sick of hearing windbags and their excuses for using phones 'Oh I was just...' bollocks.

'Oh I just had to tell my colleague I couldn't talk' Not answering the f'ing phone would have accomplished that.

The selfishness in your post, 'oh the bad man didn't speak nice to me', 'Will I get penalty points', no regard for other road users you could have endangered. Don't give me 'Oh I wasn't distracted' you didn't even see a marked patrol car come alongside you. I bet it wasn't your first time doing it either, only your first time getting caught and you shat yourself you'd get points off the bold Garda.

I think you've made your position clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Absolute nonsense, this is a legal discussion forum, not personal issues.

begbysback wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense, this is a legal discussion forum, not personal issues.

Thanks - agreed - I was looking for legal advice and admitted I was in the wrong completely, though the guards manner was unprofessional IMO. But I accept that when one looks for advice on a forum it will always attract unwanted and unwarranted responses, along with the very sensible and helpful ones. I am very grateful to those of you who answered the actual query I was posing.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    Is it possible you were distracted by your phone and made a mistake like cutting off the Guard or braking suddenly in front of him? That could explain his demeanour.

No, we were in two separate lanes - I was going straight and he was turning right. I'm angry at myself that I was stupid enough to answer my phone (though I didn't put it to my ear, I held it on the steering wheel, it's something I never do, but I left the house very late for a meeting and was so stressed I forgot to plug in the handsfree wire, excuses eh?), but I'm confident that I did not cut off or brake suddenly, or commit any other offence.

It's funny that you reference windbags....

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Lol "the big bad angry guard man shouted at me" hope you get the points, its not very "professional" of you to be on the phone while driving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

It's funny that you reference windbags....

You come across as not so nice a person.
    The garda was in a car, as were you. Probably had to raise his voice to be heard.
    You admitted being on the phone was wrong.
    You probably got away with it. Well done.
    I now await your not so nice comment back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Exactly what I wanted to say but I know well I'd have gotten the boot :D

You come across as not so nice a person.
    The garda was in a car, as were you. Probably had to raise his voice to be heard.
    You admitted being on the phone was wrong.
    You probably got away with it. Well done.
    I now await your not so nice comment back to me.

You also come across as a “not so nice person” yawn. But I am frankly jealous if you work in a world where being professional and polite is not a prerequisite. Enjoy the 1970’s, be sure to bully your secretary, call the cleaner by his surname, and don’t forget to tip the doorman a shilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get a bluetooth kit it, will auto connect when you jump in the car, priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Obvious troll is obvious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Red light jumper

To all you quick to judge, dole munching, window lickers. You were asked a question not your opinion.

So you’ve never once answered your phone whilst driving, bet most of you are the kind of asshole that skips a red light on the quays to make it that extra 80 meters to be stuck in rush hour traffic, or even worse your a cyclist that hasn’t even got a licence.
    Skipping every light in town whilst looking at your phone delivering a freezing cold pizza.

Get a grip the lot of you, I’ve nearly been run down by several f#*%s on phones not giving a s#%* whilst travelling on my motorbike. You want to know what there answer was when is asked them to pay attention to the road. “You’re on a bike so you deserve to die” so take your petty comments when somebody has genuinely shown remorse and asked for advise and shove them where the sun don’t shine.

FYI to all here that own a electric roller scooter get of the bloody road you twats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

To all you quick to judge, dole munching, window lickers. You were asked a question not your opinion.

So you’ve never once answered your phone whilst driving, bet most of you are the kind of asshole that skips a red light on the quays to make it that extra 80 meters to be stuck in rush hour traffic, or even worse your a cyclist that hasn’t even got a licence.
    Skipping every light in town whilst looking at your phone delivering a freezing cold pizza.

Get a grip the lot of you, I’ve nearly been run down by several f#*%s on phones not giving a s#%* whilst travelling on my motorbike. You want to know what there answer was when is asked them to pay attention to the road. “You’re on a bike so you deserve to die” so take your petty comments when somebody has genuinely shown remorse and asked for advise and shove them where the sun don’t shine.

FYI to all here that own a electric roller scooter get of the bloody road you twats.

Just stop. Please

Advertisement