Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire brigade charges.

Options
  • 20-11-2020 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

We had a fire in a hedge in Laois recently and received a bill for €2800. I've been out of work due to covid 19 and simply can't pay. What happens from here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭blackbox

chefy wrote: »
    We had a fire in a hedge in Laois recently and received a bill for €2800. I've been out of work due to covid 19 and simply can't pay. What happens from here.

Will your house (or farm) insurance not cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chefy

It's a rented property and have no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the landlord might have insurance that covers it. have you asked them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Contact all your local TD's, explain your situation and ask them to make representations on your behalf.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The original bill was sent to the landlord and passed on to me.

Thanks for the advice on the TDs I'll try that as a last resort.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonalK1981

It's sad to think that the public services money doesn't cover the cost of these unless there is malice or arson involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

DonalK1981 wrote: »
    It's sad to think that the public services money doesn't cover the cost of these unless there is malice or arson involved...

It does in some counties.

How did the fire start?
    Was negligence or any messing involved

How did the fire start?
    Was negligence or any messing involved

Pure accident. Small clearing bonfire in purpose mabe bin. Sparks floated into the hedge and it caught fire over a few minutes.

• Advertisement

Pure accident. Small clearing bonfire in purpose mabe bin. Sparks floated into the hedge and it caught fire over a few minutes.

Maybe contact the fire brigade first and explain your financial situation and go from there. They might be able to point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Accidents don't happen, they are caused. Your fire, your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Muas Tenek

You could apply for a waiver from Laois County council. Download the waiver form from their website and apply.
    They could give a percentage or complete waiver based on your income and ability to pay.
    https://laois.ie/departments/fire-rescue/service-charges/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Muas Tenek wrote: »
    You could apply for a waiver from Laois County council. Download the waiver form from their website and apply.
    They could give a percentage or complete waiver based on your income and ability to pay.
    https://laois.ie/departments/fire-rescue/service-charges/

The OP's income is irrelevant. The liability for the bill is with the property owner.

The OP's income is irrelevant. The liability for the bill is with the property owner.

Don't think so, (in Kerry) the bill is sent to the person that makes the phone call.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Don't think so, (in Kerry) the bill is sent to the person that makes the phone call.

This is one of the most stupid common misconceptions around.

You see a house on fire and you live opposite and ring it in. They do not send you the bill

This is one of the most stupid common misconceptions around.

You see a house on fire and you live opposite and ring it in. They do not send you the bill

No, this is a fact in Kerry.

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Yeah I'm sure they do, if the caller is the person liable for the bill.

They don't hit a random passerby with a call out fee for ringing in a road traffic collision or house fire, for instance. If you think they do you are incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

No, this is a fact in Kerry.

I know.

At car collisions where fire brigade are in attendance,both drivers get the same bill ,1 of the drivers did ring emergency services,someone has to pay usually the insurance company, this is in kerry

Yeah I'm sure they do, if the caller is the person liable for the bill.

They don't hit a random passerby with a call out fee for ringing in a road traffic collision or house fire, for instance. If you think they do you are incorrect

I don't think they do, I know they do.

If you choose not to believe me that's your choice but you are wrong.

I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

complete bullcrap - my cousin in tralee had a small fire in there back shed _ completely burned down
    the next door neighbour called the FB as my cousin was at work- my cousin got the bill and not the neighbor who kindly called them.
    if this was the case people would not call the FB in fear of getting a bill

The local authority will always try to bill the beneficial party. First port of call will be the landowner who can then send the bill on to the leaseholder (or whoever started the fire).
    The OP was very unfortunate in this incident, but there are controlled burning rules in Ireland (for very good reasons) which require a license from the LA to burn.
    Op unfortunately you will be held to pay this bill - but as I said you should apply for a waiver.

I needed the fire service last year and my bill was a few hundred. The local council offices were very helpful in setting up a monthly DD plan for me to suit my own terms. I wanted it payed off within a year, but by the sounds of it I could have made the payment over multiple years.

Contact your county council office, the relevant phone number will be on your bill, and explain the situation to them and see what they can do for you. Good luck.

This is only true if the call is from beneficial recipient who is also the owner of the property.
    If several people call in a fire they do not all receive a bill.
    People should not be put off calling the Fire brigade when they see a fire or other incident because they are afraid they will get a bill.

complete bullcrap - my cousin in tralee had a small fire in there back shed _ completely burned down
    the next door neighbour called the FB as my cousin was at work- my cousin got the bill and not the neighbor who kindly called them.
    if this was the case people would not call the FB in fear of getting a bill

Okay I'm trying to tell you that I know from personal experience.

I've been told it's bullcrap and a stupid common misconception by people who think they know better, it is neither.

I know I am right, not because of what my cousin told me or what I read on the internet or heard from a fireman.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree on this.

Muas Tenek wrote: »
    This is only true if the call is from beneficial recipient who is also the owner of the property.
    If several people call in a fire they do not all receive a bill.
    People should not be put off calling the Fire brigade when they see a fire or other incident because they are afraid they will get a bill.

Incorrect.

I agree with the rest of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Does the landlord have Insurance? Whoever has the insurance policy pays the bill.

Op, how can the bill be €2,800 ? In Dublin( all 4 councils) the call out fee is usually between €500 to €600 approx.

Where are they going with the €2,800??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

kravmaga wrote: »
    Does the landlord have Insurance? Whoever has the insurance policy pays the bill.

Op, how can the bill be €2,800 ? In Dublin( all 4 councils) the call out fee is usually between €500 to €600 approx.

Where are they going with the €2,800??
    Looks like some councils charge the actual cost rather than a flat fee
    https://www.theaa.ie/blog/calling-end-fire-brigade-call-charges/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,616 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Incorrect.

I agree with the rest of your post.

Have you a link to Kerry's council rules in this. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

listermint wrote: »
    Have you a link to Kerry's council rules in this. Cheers

How could they? It dosnt exist in Kerry county council or any county council, utter nonsense

Advertisement