Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Thread 13/11 (Crawford-Brook, Katie Taylor, Heffron-Bentley II)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

patmac wrote:
    What’s with the psalm 18 on the shorts of Taylor, I used to hate Holyfield for his religious shiite, such hypocrisy.

patmac wrote:
    I just find it hypocritical that you would want to try and beat the hell out of someone and be a Christian as well. I used to hate Holyfield for it as well. Also if Gueterrez is the best they can offer as a contender, then the term ‘Lamb to the slaughter ‘ comes to mind.

Manage your own moral compass- never mind Taylor's. If it offends you so much switch the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Spanish girl is huge for the weight.

She does look incredibly ripped for a woman. Lacking any of the other attributes of a top-level boxer though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

patmac wrote: »
    I just find it hypocritical that you would want to try and beat the hell out of someone and be a Christian as well. I used to hate Holyfield for it as well.
    Also if Gueterrez is the best they can offer as a contender, then the term ‘Lamb to the slaughter ‘ comes to mind.

No different to wanting to beat anyone in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

What’s with the psalm 18 on the shorts of Taylor, I used to hate Holyfield for his religious shiite, such hypocrisy.

Hatewatching tv on your Saturday night. Someone is lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

UrbanFret wrote: »
    That's the one thing she lacks. Lovely boxer , doesn't have that concussive punch that would make life so much easier for her.

Shed be too far ahead i suppose , i count her landing at least 2 significant hard clean shots per round here. Madness its into the 10th.
    I fear someday somebody is going to eat all this and then land a bomb on her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Taylor on fire speed wise..

Just a very very basic opponent...

I wish Katie would slow it down a bit, pick shots better, and relax on the OTT speed...

That girl should not have seen past two rounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

kona wrote: »
    Shed be too far ahead i suppose , i count her landing at least 2 significant hard clean shots per round here. Madness its into the 10th.

I tend to agree here. Sometimes, Katie reminds me of Amir Khan - if the fight goes the distance she will always win on points as lands so many punches with crazy accuracy but too light handed to get the KO's against the better fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Sorry my bad, just think she should keep religion out of it, anyway disappointing that she couldn’t finish off Guiterrez.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

As a showcase fight for women's boxing that doesn't do anyone any favours. The talent pool is just too shallow. A handful of actually really good fighters and the rest are just tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

kona wrote: »

That's highly likely to happen unfortunately. This fight would have been over 20 minutes ago had she a punch.

• Advertisement

I tend to agree here. Sometimes, Katie reminds me of Amir Khan - if the fight goes the distance she will always win on points as lands so many punches with crazy accuracy but too light handed to get the KO's against the better fighters.

I don't think the lack of power holds her back as much as most people think. Very few female boxers actually have genuinely big power. Two minute rounds also don't help.

Sorry my bad, just think she should keep religion out of it, anyway disappointing that she couldn’t finish off Guiterrez.

Anti religion now worse than religion..

Live and let live!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I just find it hypocritical that you would want to try and beat the hell out of someone and be a Christian as well.

Is that not the whole idea of it? :pac:

Morrison J wrote: »
    I don't think the lack of power holds her back as much as most people think. Very few female boxers actually have genuinely big power. Two minute rounds also don't help.

Two minute rounds suit Katie big time..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Soups123

I’m shocked one judge gave her a round! lol

Very good performance

Talk that she could be fighting Cyborg at some stage. That'd be a big fight for the sport.

walshb wrote: »
    Two minute rounds suit Katie big time..

In terms of winning fights it probably does. I don't think she has the greatest gas tank. In terms of getting stoppages though she'd have way more with three minute rounds.

In terms of winning fights it probably does. I don't think she has the greatest gas tank. In terms of getting stoppages though she'd have way more with three minute rounds.

Yes, but she tires at the end of rounds, so it kind of scuppers her...her strength and power depletes the harder she fights and the more the clock is ticking.

Her issue is that she overcooks a little too much. If she was a bit more relaxed, not so eager to let the hands fly for the sake of it, pick more, plant more....she could be better at getting them out of there in the 2 minutes..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Did yer one win a raffle to get in the ring? All for respecting your opponent but I though she was gonna ask for an autograph at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

KT looked in fantastic shape tonight; hand speed and movement was incredible. Not a scratch on her after 10 rounds. Gutierrez just looked happy to be there. Katie has everything in her locker but the power. If she had that knockout punch it would make such a difference. Probably being overly critical though, she's a great boxer and an amazing athlete. Her hunger, dedication and will to win is both incredible and inspirational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Her management team seem like Del Boys.

Hope she isn't been taken advantage of.

Nelson picking Brook via KO1?😅

The 2minute rounds are for sure a problem if you want a stoppage.

Her management team seem like Del Boys.

Hope she isn't been taken advantage of.

No, Brian Peters is a good skin by all accounts and I understand that Katie is doing very well financially.
    I'm very happy for her, she seems to be genuinely a very nice person. It's just a pity in sports terms how shallow the women's professional game is.

That Ball world title fight earlier in my opinion was an absolute joke.
    They'd do well to halve the weight classes in the women's game as they're not gonna get rid of the 4 title belts per weight class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Would love to see how a fight with cyborg would pan out .. she definitely would be stronger than Taylor but not sure cyborg would have the skills.
    What are the chances of that fight actually taking place?

I dont think there is anybody about who is genuinely better, katie has speed and accuracy that isnt normal for womens boxing!
    Id have to disagree with the khan comparison, he went down with a stiff breeze, katie ate some serious damage in the 1st persoon fight, as mentioned earlier, if it was 3 min rounds i think persoon would have gotten a stoppage at the end.
    So maybe the 2min rounds are perfect for katie!

harr wrote: »
    Would love to see how a fight with cyborg would pan out .. she definitely would be stronger than Taylor but not sure cyborg would have the skills.

I can't see how it would be any different from any other Boxing/UFC crossover fights, exactly almost as Mayweather vs McGregor except Taylor is Mayweather here and would be in better shape than Mayweather was.

Cyborg would likely be an even bigger Guttierez but would probably gas quicker.

The only obstacle I could see would be Cyborg's weight.

Both camps would definitely want the fight as it's definitely the biggest cash cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,963 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Has Cyborg ever boxed though? Even with her strength, she’d be fairly hamstrung technically in against someone as technically gifted as Katie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Would love to see how a fight with cyborg would pan out .. she definitely would be stronger than Taylor

I think that's a given
    T-X_%28Kristanna_Loken%29.jpg

Sorry, know SFA about women's boxing and had never heard of 'cyborg'. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that's not the name she was born with...

Advertisement