Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Connery RIP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

I saw Sean conary get off the concords once and he kissed every lady on the flight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

MfMan wrote: »
    Ya, look out for The Offence, a piece of 70s crime grimness, starring everyone in British cinema and TV.

That was a great film. Sean Connery was excellent in it. A very underrated film that deserves to be shown again. He was also good in Hitchcock's Marnie. And of course he was, in my opinion, the best James Bond.

Sean Connery had a great screen presence. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

One sexy man, that accent :o:(

RIP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    Sad to hear, but been expecting it for some time. An interview I saw of him a couple of years ago displayed a severe and noticeable downward tick in health.

Strangely enough, instead of his Bond role which many will remember him for, I've always preferred him outside of Bond. He made some genuinely great films, 'The Hill', 'The Man Who Would Be King', 'A Bridge Too Far', 'The Name of the Rose', 'The Offence', 'Outland' and the wonderfully mad 'Zardoz', I would put down as some of my favourites.

One of the great Hollywood screen actors, despite his limitations.

Outland is a forgotten gem of a B movie; a blatant High Noon knock off sure, elevated by Connery's performance. Had that grungy, lived-in feel rarely seen in SciFi (again cribbing from elsewhere, Alien specifically). Connery sold the role though, gave that extra polish above the film's ostensible status

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

RIP Sean Connery. The best james bond of the whole lot IMHO.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Too many great roles to mention, I think the first movie of his I seen in the cinema was Time Bandits in 1980, although just a cameo he was the best part of the movie.

Also glad I got to see him as Bond at the cinema in 1983’s Never Say Never Again.

RIP Sean Connery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

He was filming The Great Train Robbery at Heuston station, so we went over to see him.
    He smiled at us, shook hands with my father and gave my brother and I autographs.
    He towered over my 5'9" Father.
    The only person doing security was a old CIE employee.LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Will raise a martini to him later and put on Goldfinger.

Shaken....not stirred

interesting bit of trivia from a Bond documentary.

When Sean was about to be bifurcated by the laser, the 'gold' it was 'cutting' was brass sheet, with a bead of solder in a pre-made cut.

During the shooting, a bloke with an oxyacetyline cutting torch was melting the solder from underneath, all the while heading towards Sean's 'nads.

Look closely and you'll see Sean is sweating a bit as the flame approaches the crown jewels.

q9d4RGFa.jpg

R.I.P. Mr Bond

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy00

And tonight RTÉ are showing a pierce brosnan bond film🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy00

timmy00 wrote: »
    And tonight RTÉ are showing a pierce brosnan bond film🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

Are they running on autopilot ?, is it to much to ask , to show a Connery bond film ???

One ping only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

timmy00 wrote: »
    Are they running on autopilot ?, is it to much to ask , to show a Connery bond film ???
    I'd cut them a little slack as I don't know how flexible they are on this sort of thing, e.g. I have no idea what kind of lead time they might need to buy rights for a specific film; a few hours may not cut it. They'll probably run something soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I am really stunned & gutted to hear that Sean Connery has died. He had led a really brilliant life when he was in the acting world. He was one of a kind when he was working as a professional actor for so many decades. I loved seeing Sean Connery in Goldfinger, Dr.No, The Great Train Robbery & Darby O'Gill & The Little People. They were brilliant movies to see his acting craft really shine through when he was in those films. It was a joy to watch them all unfold on screen.

It's such a shame that 2020 has lost another acting legend among us movie fans. RIP to an awesome man often described as the one true Bond. :(

not just the original James Bond, but also the original Borat! (from Zardoz, 1974)

Incidentally a surprising fact that I only discovered yesterday was that Connery wore a hairpiece / toupee (got bigger each movie) in every Bond movie.

ZhWkT7e.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

beauf wrote: »

Lets not forget Delightful song from "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" sung by Sean Connery and Janet Munro

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

glasso wrote: »
    Incidentally a surprising fact that I only discovered yesterday was that Connery wore a hairpiece / toupee (got bigger each movie) in every Bond movie.

Had no idea about that. I guess the special effects back then weren't so bad.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'll always recommend the 1965 film The Hill as the best semi forgotten Connery film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'd say there's so many good stories about Connery out there. I knew Connery was a karateka but didn't know that the Thespian Steven Seagal broke his wrist.

https://www.looper.com/271128/steven-seagal-broke-sean-connerys-wrist-heres-what-happened/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sean had quiet a few links to Ireland.

The photo above from Zardoz in his red nappy was all shot in Ireland and he also made The Great Train Robbery here.

As a result he bought a lovely house in Bray at the time and was well known around the town.

I think this is a cool picture of him in Bray Snooker Hall that used to be on the seafront.

ElqPVyYXEAIZeHc?format=jpg&name=medium

I was a kid in the town at the time and I would have loved to have met him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dr No is on RTE 2 on Sunday at 5:55 pm. If you're not a Bond aficionado, it's the very first one. Set in Barbados, it features that famous shot of Ursula Andress emerging from the sea, and a diverse cohort of people pretending to be Chinese, most of whom aren't even Asian. There's a surprising amount of investigation rather than action that means it's aged a little better than some of the later ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

mikhail wrote: »
    Dr No is on RTE 2 on Sunday at 5:55 pm. If you're not a Bond aficionado, it's the very first one. Set in Barbados, it features that famous shot of Ursula Andress emerging from the sea, and a diverse cohort of people pretending to be Chinese, most of whom aren't even Asian. There's a surprising amount of investigation rather than action that means it's aged a little better than some of the later ones.

I've watched this intro so many times over the last few days, when the music comes in it gives me chills. This is the smoothest man in film history

Gotta love this letter to Apple. *Edit it might be a fake actually. But still worth a post!

Watched The Anderson Tapes again last night, cracking heist movie.

4e004661ccd1d5993e150000?width=1200&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Re Bray I know a guy who said that his now elderly Wicklow neighbour and Connery were having a fling in the 70's at some point.
    Connery's wife knew where to find him - at her house.

Legend of an actor but stated adamantly on several occasions that it was ok to take the hand to women

Had a reputation for being quite mean also and pretty much never signed an autograph as begrudged the possibility of some people selling it on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1043417/Autographs-I-dont-paid--I-dont-sign--The-obsession-money-haunts-Sean-Connery.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Lets not forget Delightful song from "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" sung by Sean Connery and Janet Munro

the end looks like they filmed it near the same magical part of Ireland where the Irish episode of Sons of Anarchy was filmed :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

glasso wrote: »
    Re Bray I know a guy who said that his now elderly Wicklow neighbour and Connery were having a fling in the 70's at some point.
    Connery's wife knew where to find him - at her house.

Legend of an actor but stated adamantly on several occasions that it was ok to take the hand to women

Had a reputation for being quite mean also and pretty much never signed an autograph as begrudged the possibility of some people selling it on.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1043417/Autographs-I-dont-paid--I-dont-sign--The-obsession-money-haunts-Sean-Connery.html

"Nevva chlosed Fisht dough"

p to the e wrote: »
    "Nevva chlosed Fisht dough"

open-fist was for the women-slapping (although his first wife disputes this)

closed-fist for his money it seems
    Roald Dahl was in Japan for the filming of You Only Live Twice, the new James Bond movie he had adapted – very loosely – from Ian Fleming’s novel. The shoot was based for a time around the city of Kagoshima in the country’s sweltering south, and at the end of the day the cast and crew would relax with a cold beer on set. Sean Connery joined in with the drinking but, as Dahl quickly noticed, left the business of paying to other people.

“He was the only man making a million in the film and he never stood anyone a round,” Dahl later observed. “This was known. They all talked about it. He is not an attractive personality.”

I wonder if growing up as working class brought the miser out in him. I looked around and he was reportedly worth about $350 million (https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/sean-connery-net-worth/). He apparently would have earned about $450 million from Lord of the Rings. Do'h

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »
    I wonder if growing up as working class brought the miser out in him. I looked around and he was reportedly worth about $350 million (https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/sean-connery-net-worth/). He apparently would have earned about $450 million from Lord of the Rings. Do'h

Its probably racist to say it these days but the Scots are notoriously tight fisted!

Advertisement