Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Space X

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

aaaaaand scrub for today.

Roads are reopening apparently!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

jogdish wrote: »
    ....:( and the road is open, scrubbed for today :( I wonder if the bad weather might have been an issue.

Yes I would say so. The fog just kept getting heavier. Will be Monday now at the earliest before next attempt I would say.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Road closures posted for Monday from 12 central time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Road closures posted for Monday from 12 central time
    Cool, just as a reminder we are again on the 6hr time shift since we are both gmt+1 now, I imagine it will be between 7 and 10pm Irish as previously. again space flight now is handy for notifications.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1376235871989551105

Elon giving a bit of hope too. Fingers crossed for a clear day and a safe landing! It'd be so cool to see a landed SN11 with BN1 rolled out beside it ..just to compare the scale of the two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I know the NASA Spaceflight guys are looking for right that there ...

well .. so do we.

/M

Shlippery wrote:
    One day more..

That's ridiculous

So we have had bad weather, bad raptor and an awol FAA guy, hopefully that's all the delays.

Targeting a 2pm Irish time Starship launch today. According to Musk

• Advertisement

Very foggy in Boca Chica!

SpaceX countdown for launch at 2pm still though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjCSJIAKEPM
    Foggy, will they go ahead in 7 mins?

Who knows!

Looks like they're going for it in the fog!! live now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shlippery wrote:
    Foggy, will they go ahead in 7 mins?

Jesus they can hardly launch in that!

Going for it!

off the ground.. now we wait!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rud

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

boom?

WBJ4cAz.png

Sooo any guesses what happened after final frame?

Onto SN15..

Ms

Well that was Stupid with a capital S. What were they thinking? SN 12 next I suppose.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote:
    Well that was Stupid with a capital S. What were they thinking? SN 12 next I suppose.

What do you mean by stupid?
    It will be SN15 next.

That looks like the flight termination system was activated to me.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1376891464333017090
    Seems like fog or no fog that Raptor issue would have happened :p

SN12-14 were scrapped in favour of SN15 which will be an upgraded model as such.

Sure we'll get a look at BN1 soon, be cool to get a look on a clear day.

Ms

What do you mean by stupid?
    It will be SN15 next.

That looks like the flight termination system was activated to me.

I mean it was stupid to launch on a foggy day when they could see nothing or very little. Surely waiting till later or the next day would have made more sense.

Why no SN 12, 13 and 14?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I mean it was stupid to launch on a foggy day when they could see nothing or very little. Surely waiting till later or the next day would have made more sense.

Why no SN 12, 13 and 14?
    Well technically the visual information is not that useful when you have everything else, but yes still odd then again maybe they wanted to do it as a test to see what conditions it can handle?

12/13/14 started construction, then improvements were made during 15's construction and no point wasting time on older versions so they scrapped 12-14 and 15 onwards are the most recent in terms of improvements.
    I reckon SN15 will be waiting a while, they are chewing thru raptors and the landing portion seems to be a persistent issue.
    BN1 is pathfinder so at best a static fire, BN2 and 3 have started but still a way off in terms of being ready for hops.
    I guess the July orbit goal is truly gone now lol

jogdish wrote:
    12/13/14 started construction, then improvements were made during 15's construction and no point wasting time on older versions so they scrapped 12-14 and 15 onwards are the most recent in terms of improvements. I reckon SN15 will be waiting a while, they are chewing thru raptors and the landing portion seems to be a persistent issue. BN1 is pathfinder so at best a static fire, BN2 and 3 have started but still a way off in terms of being ready for hops. I guess the July orbit goal is truly gone now lol

Doubt BN1 will even make it to launch site for static fire. Musk has tweeted today that it is just a production pathfinder and will be scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lcomps

Looking forward to the next launch. Was a shame we didn't get to see the explosion. Would have made for excellent footage

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Rillout the week for SN15. Hopefully the new improvements will see a successful flight and landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Falcon 9 Liftoff ......

Todays launch will complete the first StarLink shelf.

/M

• Advertisement

Nice article:
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/09/tech/spacex-starship-livestream-youtube-scn/index.html

I still do know how Tim Dodd makes money, he has been tweeting about his new rig set up for a while and cheap is not the word, drives a nice Tesla too and talks about buying a new upgrade. Clearly the business model works, and fair play to him he makes excellent videos. But my brain cannot comprehend spending that much cash on streaming, especially when the SpaceX stream is pretty dam good.
    I guess I just feel the set up from HD video to fancy graphics and 4/8k video regards youtube is diminishing returns. I see this with a lot of high end youtubers, the push for 4/8k HDR etc, I know the arguments about being able to crop and no lose res etc, but at a certain point it's youtube.
    Don't get me wrong I like Tim and NSF and the rest, I don't support them with money only views but I understand why people do.

Advertisement